Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably my favorite gun for many reasons, the main being its brutal power and the fact no personal armor made can resist the round. A little more accurate than an AK with a bit more muzzle pressure, the Norinco-56 came stock with a chrome lined screw-on barrel and a great swing out bayonet that can also be stabbed into the ground to use as a monopod. The wound the bayonet makes is triangular and is not repaired very easily and bleeds bad. The mags are a bit more of a trick to change, but that shouldn't slow you down much. They make stock ten round internal mags, 20 rounders, 30 rounders, 40 rounders and my fav- the 75 round drum. Keep in mind in a firefight, every second that goes by seems like an eternity. God help me, last thing I want to do is duck behind some flimsy car while someone like me sits up there unseen and keeps...on...shooting...and shooting...

And that's exactly what it's like. Seems like those banana clips take forever to run dry, effective range is better than 100 yards if you know how to sight it in. Brick walls are no cover from that round, neither is a car or the latest helmets. Matter of fact the best NATO helmets to date don't even act like they are there, the bullet will go in one side and out the other cleanly. I don't know if I'd bury my Norinco in sand for five months, dig it up and try to fire it, but this carbine, if taken care of, will function for you flawlessly in almost any conditions. They are real simple to break down and clean, have an internal cleaning kit and can even be modded with recoil dampeners and scopes if you want to get custom with it.

I have to say though, try and stay away from the aftermarket furniture. I have seen it melt and catch fire, whereas wood you can just put out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is that a mod to get it to run on mags? I've been eyeballin these, but have been turned off by the small internal mag. I already have a Norinco MAK-90 (ak47 variant) so I could easily get one of these and share ammo between the two guns. But I want something that is magazine fed.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah you just take off the trigger group and it comes right out. I run a few 40 rounders on mine.

·
Registered
693 Posts
take what out, the internal magazine?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have one JUST like this! Its the smallest round mag (I got rid of the larger cap one STUPID ME!). And your right, when I first saw how to take the mag out, I was thinking WTF?! I'll shoot over a photo tonight of it.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
acidlittle said:
take what out, the internal magazine?
yeah you just press the button on the trigger group with a screwdriver or something until it clicks, take out the trigger group and it comes right out. Then you put the trigger group back, press down till it clicks and you're ready to accept detachable mags. They have a little hook in there you catch first and then use it to lock the clip into the feed mechanism. It's not a slap-in job like the AK but nearly as good.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Awesome tip on the mag, I just left it in mine since it was weird to take out. Now I'll refer to your post on how to do this!

Here is mine.

[attachment=0:1uzuyng0]sks.JPG[/attachment:1uzuyng0]

Attachments

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd show you how but that prepper Mr. Rogers guy sootch pretty much sums it up.

Here is glockwork9 shooting mine
You may note the two jams. We were running tula ammo and those two turned out to be random remington ammo we picked up off the ground- light primer strikes. We ran them again and they went off no problem. Funny though, remington costs ten more dollars a box.

You will note that it fires faster than an AK and is shorter. Plus it can extend a nasty screwdriver-shaped bayonet also useful as a prybar, yet punch it into a car roof and use it as a monopod or swivel.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Hey, I want to get one of those clips that you have, but every since I got rid of mine I'm confused on what to get because many of them will say "doesn't fit chinese", "doesn't fit Romainan", "Doesn't fit Mickey Mouse" etc.

I guess the best thing I need to do is take it to my next gun show to size it up.

Did you have trouble getting that pictanny rail mount on? I had to shave about 1/4 inch off to get it to fit. It fits extremely tight though now.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are handmade beasts and often prone to working around the original carbine like that, I did it too. I use steel mags made in the usa. Steel 40 round mags can be bought here:
http://www.parts4sks.com/sks_accessories/product/SKS_762-39_40_Round_Detachable.html

The drum is heavy but kills the recoil, ppl don't stop and realize (most don't know) that WWII was ended by soviets storming Berlin with these little nasties loaded with drums. They were the answer to the US Tommy gun, you can see them in action in the movie "Downfall" near the end. The Russians have them in their hands and they look frikkin awesome. Bayonet+reliable+7.62x39+75rd+cleaning kit+hunting rifle feel+short+durability = mean contender. Kalashnikov said his biggest influence was Simanov- SKS means Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova- Simanov in English.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also- check your barrel. If it has Chinese lettering anywhere it is a Norinco. If it has Russian it is either yugo or Rus. Look down the barrel for chrome. Knife like bayonets are rus and yugo- spike bayonets are Chinese. These were built from 1946 to about 1983. Yugos had grenade launchers and flip up sights for it. Chinese ones look redder.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I want to get a Yugo and a Norinco one of these. I have a Norinco MAK-90 and it's solid. And I have heard the Yugo's are pretty durable too. But some Yugos don't have chrome lined, is that true?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
true, yugos aren't the cream of the crop but they get the job done.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Really appreciate this post. This might just be what I've been looking for.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They are handmade beasts and often prone to working around the original carbine like that, I did it too. I use steel mags made in the usa. Steel 40 round mags can be bought here:
SKS 7.62x39 40 Round Detachable Blued Steel Mega Mag : Parts4SKS

The drum is heavy but kills the recoil, ppl don't stop and realize (most don't know) that WWII was ended by soviets storming Berlin with these little nasties loaded with drums. They were the answer to the US Tommy gun, you can see them in action in the movie "Downfall" near the end. The Russians have them in their hands and they look frikkin awesome. Bayonet+reliable+7.62x39+75rd+cleaning kit+hunting rifle feel+short+durability = mean contender. Kalashnikov said his biggest influence was Simanov- SKS means Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova- Simanov in English.

If you are refferring to the SKS as "Little nasties" they were not in use untill about 49, well after the war was over. The Rushkies whipped 'em with mostly old Mosin Nagants.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To me the SKS is alot better made than an AK,and I'll take it over the AK every time, even with the fixed 10 round mag. Reloading is fast with the stripper clips.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nevermind... I reread the thread and understand... you are talking about the default configuration. Got it.... ignore my last post.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thats right, I'm talking about the original 10 round that comes with it. There are stripper clips out there that used to be had just by buying cheap mil-surp allready in the clips, They fit in the "ears" on the bolt, and you pushed it in the mag with you're thumb, a reload took just seconds. I never purchased the detachable mags, as I have other rifles with them, and just bought it because of the price ($99). Just sorrry I did not buy a truckload of them. I'm sure the same rifle now is 3-4 times that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I want to get a Yugo and a Norinco one of these. I have a Norinco MAK-90 and it's solid. And I have heard the Yugo's are pretty durable too. But some Yugos don't have chrome lined, is that true?
yes Yugoslavia did not have a large deposits of chrome ore, so they just produced them without chromed lined barrels, from what I heard it doesnt really make that huge difference just a little easier to clean that about it, but the non chrome are cheaper.

Got mine pre-Obama for about $150 bucks, now post-obama they have leveled off at about double the price.

Randy... my SKS doesn't have a fixed mag. I use 30's. Can you clarify what you are referring to?
woad.... every sks i have every seen comes from the "factory" with a internal 10 round mag.
lots of people ditch the internal mag for a detachable mag. i have not converted mine over to the detachable mag, because i heard they are a pain to covert, then once converted you may have to modify ever mag you buy to get it fit properly.

some interesting reading on the sks.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/yugogrenade/index.asp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts