Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....and it's not even long. The Inland M1 30cal Carbine, mfg o/a 12/1943 is my "primary" rifle. It had been sportserized when I got it with non original front and rear sights, barrel band modified to remove front sling loop, stock modified to remove and fill in sling well and high gloss clear urethane coated. With the exception of the sights, which I have, I have returned it to near original configuration. Finding an excellent original Inland stock at a price I could afford with the proper cartouche and factory markings took just over two years. Until I recently bought a new Ruger Stainless 10/22 recently, this was my only rifle. Giving some consideration to putting a scope on it later this year that mounts on the rear sight mount.

·
Registered
855 Posts
M1 Carbine's a great rifle, I've wanted one for years. A little underpowered perhaps but still a capable rifle if distance is kept reasonable. Now you need a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine so you can use the same ammo in a handgun/rifle combo.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Man I would leave it as is and that aint cuz Im a traditionalist. Dont get me wrong I do appreciate a well maintained factory original war period gun. But I say that more so due to the limited range of the 30 carbine cartridge. Its by no means a long range number although its a pretty flat shooting carbine cartridge out to 100-150 yards max with any real degree of power. To hit a paper plate at 100 yards should require much more than decent iron sights unless your eyes have terribly aged.

Im with Infidel...now you need a 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk to go with it!!! Unless you like brutal muzzle flash and blast I would take up reloading though for the pistol. It will digest the rifle loads just fine but the powder is still burning when the bullet leaves the short barrel of the revolver. As a handloader there are some powders more appropriate for the revolver that make it a very pleasant flat shooter with plenty of punch at handgun ranges. Down load it a little bit and its an excellent small game getter. I dont even have a MI Carbine and I am seriously considering adding a 30 Carbine Blackhawk to my collection!!! Its a fun gun and a blast to shoot.

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
My Inland is a 3/43 manufacture. Rebuilt after the war because it has parts that were not made until then - round bolt (not flat), wing safety, adjustable rear sight. But oddly enough, it was not given a bayonet lugged front barrel band.
I always find it amusing that some people declare the 30 Carbine underpowered, when it is actually more powerful than a 357 magnum rifle. The 357 being declared a good hunting round, by the way.
I also have a Universal, and an Auto Ordnance reproduction of an early model.
Although I use FMJ's for fun shooting I also have seven 15 round magazines loaded with Winchester 110 grain semi jacketed hollow points.
9UC, you and I are old timers who have both seen the elephant. We know what works.
And isn't it a shame what some Bubba's wil do to a beautiful rifle?:eek:

Reactions: 9UC

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Its not quiet a 30-30 power wise but its sure got some zip to it. The older I get the more I like the often older and much more efficient chamberings that have been around with us for a while. Whats the point in reinventing the wheel when its already been made!

What really opened my eyes up to this too often over looked caliber is when the 327 Federal came out, I wanted one but ammo was few and far between. Then I got to looking at the 30 carbine ballistics and found that it gave very little up to the 327 Federal and ammo availability made it quiet common to find on the store shelf. And there is already a "companion rifle" available for it unlike the 327 Federal. I then started to wonder why I even considered the 327 Federal to begin with. Since then I have had a serious woody for a 30 carbine Blackhawk! Maybe I will run into a deal on a M1 carbine one day to go with it! One day...sigh.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I got back from Vietnam in Jan '69, Air Force had shipped nearly all of its M16A1versions to Nam to cover the sudden manning increase. So when I got to my next base, I had to qualify, but had to do it on the M2 Carbine version. Fell in love with the darn thing, and to make things worse, I actually scored higher on the first use than I had ever scored with the POS A1's that the Army had rejected because of jamming. Yeah, I realize, paraphrasing a Ma Bell catch commercial, "I can't reach out there and touch someone" like you can with a 7.62, 308 or 30.06 but I've seen both the ballistics gel and hog body penetration results done at 50 yards and I was surprised , especially on the hog body, the damage done by a 110 FMJ. Let's face it, I'm not ever going to be in a gun battle with someone at a range of even a hundred yards, maybe fifty to seventy five yards at best. I can put enough rounds down range to get your attention. Not too bad for a gun that was intended originally to replace the Colt 45 for support troops. Soon as the "run" calms down, I want to take a few of my mags and use the JSPs. If I do a scope, any parts removed would be saved.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
In the early days of the Vietnam War, many Special Forces advisors used the M2 Carbine.
And speaking of M2's, if you use the 30 round magazines it is advised to upgrade to an M2 magazine catch, it is stronger. I have had 30 rounders misfeed because they dropped down just a tad because of the extra weight.
I simply stick to the 15 rounders, USGI surplus ones are the best.

Well, gotta go. The Jacksonville Vietnamese-American society has asked our Vietnam Veterans of America chapter to participate in their Tet celebration down at the fairgrounds. It's off to the big city for me, and a new adventure - I have never been around that many Vietnamese without a gun in my hands.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. The ARVN, QCs, White Mice and even the local unit of the Vietnam Airborn carried the M2 during the time I was there. I inherited the 30 round and two 15 round mags when I got the gun and even though the gunsmith that replaced the stock and did the deep clean indicated that the stronger catch had been installed, I've ordered and stuck with the 15 round mags as they stack and store much better in the 30 cal ammo can.

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
the OD Green cloth 6 pocket bandoliers that hold M1 Garand clips will also hold the 15 round Carbine magazines.

·
Registered
855 Posts
rice paddy daddy said:
I always find it amusing that some people declare the 30 Carbine underpowered, when it is actually more powerful than a 357 magnum rifle. The 357 being declared a good hunting round, by the way.
For the record I don't think either choice is ideal for hunting unless you're willing to strictly stay within the limitations of the cartridge but I'd take the .30 Carbine over the .357 Mag in a rifle any day. Both are perfectly capable of taking whitetail sized game within reasonable distances, I'd keep my shots at 75yds or under if hunting with either cartridge but that's just me.

-Infidel

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
9UC....consider a compact red dot sight.....
While that may be a viable option for some, the fact that he spent 2 years restoring it to original conndition tells me 9UC is not leaning in that direction.;-)
And as an admirer of old military weapons myself, I think he deserves to be commended for his efforts.:mrgreen:

Reactions: Infidel

·
Registered
193 Posts
actually when reloading to SAAMI spec the .357 110gr bests the .30 Carbine round by 400 fps and can be loaded with bullets not available to the carbine and the .30-30 bests it by 700 fps with the same bullet. With modern powders the .357 in a lever gun can nearly meet the .30-30. So in actual energy delivered the .30 Carbine will come up short. That being said the what the .30 M1 carbine lacks in power in makes up in utility. Being a lover of anything Garand in design I find no fault in the Little carbine. But shots should be placed carefully in mid sized game.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm all about keeping the dif calibers to a minimum. In my house we're 7.62x39 (AK open and SKS scoped), .243 (Rem 700 scoped and 788 scoped) and .40 cal (XD sub and XDM), 12 gauge and of course the .22LR (...many (scoped and open)...).
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun
"Frankenstein", a.k.a. "The Machine". (LOVE this rifle!)

Reactions: Sr40ken
1 - 14 of 14 Posts