Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good place to purchase non-hybrid seeds? I looked at my latest Burpee catalog and they're all hybrid vegetables.

One of my goals is to collect and re-use the seeds after I harvest (hoping I can garden successfully enough to harvest). I'm worried that the seeds from these hybrids won't grow correctly from second generation onward.

I'm very new to gardening, so if someone who has been able to re-use vegetable seeds can comment I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have bought from Jungs in Randolph Wisconsin for about 20 years without any complaints. This year i and trying Johnny's select seeds because they have more greens and Iam enjoying cold weather gardening in Michigan , picked spinach from a cold frame all winter long ! They both have a good selection of Heirloom or non-hybrid seeds. Stay away from Heirloom Acres seeds in Missouri as they are slow to ship products.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Don. Are you able to relaim and re-use the seeds from the plants you grow from these suppliers, or do you order new batches of seeds from them at the beginning of each season?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
you can use old antique door wreathes to get old seeds. decorative corn can be near a century old if you look in the right places. JUst shuck the kernels and plant, there's a YT video about it.

[youtube:3srxihpm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgYTUlSVDk[/youtube:3srxihpm]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have grown Amish cantaloupe, red and blue corn chili peppers, kale from seeds I have produced. This year I will plant my own golden bantam sweet corn seeds from last years crop. Kale actually comes back from last years plant and tastes best during cold weather. I have kept a Kale plant producing for 3 years in central Michigan. this winter I kept spinach under cold frames and ate it fresh January and February . Let green beans go to seed when you are tired of canning them and later pick the dried beans for critter feed (they make lousy taco's).

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the third year I've bought tomato seeds from www.pennystomatoes.com and pepper seeds from www.pepperjoe.com (mostly hot but some sweet). Just planted 24 varieties of tomatoes a few days ago indoors and all of a sudden this morning, about half sprouted. Have many more varieties I may plant today. Last year I was giving plants AND tomatoes away. Canned a bunch of green ones at the end of the season. Did well even though I started the seeds late. The peppers were a little harder to start last year and have not planted yet this season. Last season, I purchased many zucchini and other veggie seeds from ebay. Overall, had great success. Everthing I planted was organic. Garden located in central NJ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got ya covered!

My prepping buddies had overlooked the value and importance of having a meaningful supply of quality seeds on hand until last year. We had experimented with planting a survival garden and got decent results. And then took a hard look at how having a survival seed cache could offer us a bit of security. This year we added a greenhouse planted two acres and did months of research on seed types. Discovered the differences between hybrid and non-hybrid seeds. And then started looking for some suppliers. Most of what we found were really expensive and what we did find that was reasonable offered horrible service or poor products. So we started our own business with the mission to supply fellow preppers with high quality survival seed banks for just about cost @ $15 each. The survival seed banks we sell offer just about everything you would need to get a good garden started and we trade them all the time for other goods fellow preppers offer. Our website is myseedcellar.com We are looking for help getting the word out and make customer service our top priority. They way we see it is that we are all in this together! We also run monthly specials for past customers to build their stock and wholesale bulk lots too. Anyone interested in purchasing can visit the website. Barters and trades are accepted via email.

When the canned food and MRE's run out, survival gardening and hunting is all that will be left.
My Seed Cellar » Survival Seed Banks - non-gmo - non-hybrid - heirloom seeds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts