Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas All!

Last night I moved my weather alert radio from the garage to my nightstand, it was a part of winter storm preps.

That was a huge mistake!

It woke me up about 6 times due to a 'heavy rainfall warning' .

Last night, it went off several times around supper, I actually turned the Alert switch on the back to OFF but it still alerted me. It is obvious that I don't know what the OFF switch is for but it certainly doesn't stop the alerts from coming through.

Oh well, at least I know that the radio is tamper proof and can not be disabled by my son or wife.......time to move it into the kitchen

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
Our cell phones went nuts a couple nights ago due to a flood warning. Dumped a gallon of adrenaline into my system for no good reason. Cell phone is now left next to the computer at night.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
That's the SAME alert. Its supposed to only go off if your particular county is threatened. But seems to go off all night. I had two handheld weather alert radios with same. I chucked them

I now use a very old handheld frequency scanner with a wx weather button. It let's me control it. And the off switch actually turns it off.

·
8,973 Posts
Mine hasn't been that silly. It has gone off for some Amber alerts tho. Since I can't adjust the volume of the alert tones on my Midland #WR120, I ended up putting tape across the speaker grill to mute the sound but had to increase the volume of the speech to hear it ok. I keep mine in the den and can still wake up to it. When it was in the bedroom, my wife threatened to smash it due to the super high volume of the alert tones. But it's worth the nuisance to me. With a super, super busy railway 3 miles west of me, I get a tad nervous of a hazmat spill.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If it has the S.A.M.E. system, you are supposed to be able to program it to only alert for your area by using assigned code numbers. The model I have in a central room goes off after 5 minutes by itself. I can listen to it and decide if it is important or just roll over and go back to sleep.

NOAA Weather Radio - SAME

Reactions: Arklatex

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to look into the SAME feature, if I could get the alert down to just once per night, I could live with that.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
SAME works well for us! I have my county and 3 other counties programmed in. If alarm goes off I can silence it or listen to whole message.
My alarm also has a watch and or warning light on it so a quick glance at it when walking in the house will let you know something is up.
Midland model WR100

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Followup: unfortunately my radio doesn't have the SAME feature. I shouldn't complain, I bought this radio from a farm supply shop for less than $7.

Also, I learned what the ALERT ON/OFF switch does.

ON - it alerts for 5 minutes and waits for me to press the broadcast button.

OFF - it alerts for 10 seconds then broadcasts for 5 minutes without me having to press the broadcast button.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i guess i may have to turn the radio off during stupid alerts like a heavy rain warning. The 2 dozen alerts in the past 24 hours was annoying.

Too bad. I would prefer to keep it on all the time. Alert systems only work when they are on. How am i to hear about a chemical spill if they can't control themselves with heavy rain alerts. In fact, the last alert was heavy rain warning lifted.......wtf? Isn't that a bit like calling 911 to announce that you do not require help?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I turned on the alert feature on my eton crank radio once. Me and the wife almost had a heart attack at 3 am that night when we got blasted by an alert. Never again... on mine, if you turn it off it doesn't bother you anymore.

·
8,973 Posts
I thnk because of all my years listen for the tones on the dispatch radio it didn't bother me a bad as the wife in the wee hours of the morning. But I got the ultimate too. That's why it's not in the bedroom anymore. But if turned off, you don't get the warnings that might save your life. I had multiple counties on the SAME codes programmed into the radio. I think it took me about a month to realize that was a mistake. The warning for the other counties usually didn't apply to me. Just one SAME code now. Weather wise, I could probably do without the radio. But then there is the railroad by me. During the monsoon season, it's usually an evil noisy monster, but necessary. The way I taped up the speaker grill, the wife doesn't even hear it any more, but I have to get up and go listen to the message.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
True that you will miss the alert if it's off paraquack. I will generally turn it back on if it is stormy or severe weather is predicted. But I still leave it off when conditions are normal. When the siren goes off at 3 am I will most likely do one of the following:

A- Shoot the radio

B- Smash the radio

C- Die of a heart attack

D- All of the above

E- None of the above because the wife beat me to it.

So I usually keep it off unless conditions are right for a storm. Doing this will probably bite me in the butt one day. Oh well, it's the price I pay for a good night's sleep.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Our WX radio has the same codes set for only three wx situations,Flood,blizzard and tornado.our county only.we don't have much of #1 and #3 but its handy.heavy snow,or others,I don't really care.we just deal with it anyway.

But,when the alert has gone off a few times in the last few years,I had to peel myself off the ceiling.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a heart to heart talk with my wife. We agreed to leave the alerts on under the following conditions:
- we moved the radio to the kitchen
- we left the alert in the OFF state, so our alert will only last 10 seconds then it will switch to the broadcast for 5minutes before turning off ( totally hands free, we won't have to get out of bed)

We both admit that the heavy rain alerts yesterday were annoying, but we are going to see we if we can appreciate them. We are hoping for weeks at a time without any weather alert, so the few days when it is going off might not be that bad if we change our attitude about them.

I don't mind repeating that I think the alert radio is more important than the weather broadcast. I can get the weather reports from my cellphone, but only the alert radio will will alert alert my family about chemical spills, Amber Alerts(missing children), and whole list of SHTF scenarios that are extremely unlikely and I hope they stay that way.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The radio has been quiet all week, but we are now getting another rainfall alert.

My son complained about it, so I reminded him that alerts can be as important as our smoke detector, but it is for things that are happening outside the house. He seemed to understand this time.

Another rainfall warning went off as Im writing this, this time my wife and son pretty much went about their business after hearing that it is just a rainfall warning.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ours is in the kitchen and it's loud enough to wake me up at night. It doesn't go off very often so I typically pay attention when it does. I really like the idea of a tornado warning for my family in the summer.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone in canada or that know what the CBC radio is like, get a load of this....

A few nights ago, my alert radio went off. It was someone from CBC radio canada apogizing for go off the air, they were experiencing technical difficulties and were actively working on the problem

Wtf? If my favorite country music radio were to go off the air, I'd bet they wouldn"t set off an alert for that, and they are 10 times more important than CBC radio canada with their classical music so old, there is no copyright.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
That's the SAME alert. Its supposed to only go off if your particular county is threatened.
Our nearest station covers an 8-county area... badly, I might add, you can barely get reception outside.

The station is nearly 50 miles from me as the crow flies

·
8,973 Posts
For anyone in canada or that know what the CBC radio is like, get a load of this....

A few nights ago, my alert radio went off. It was someone from CBC radio canada apogizing for go off the air, they were experiencing technical difficulties and were actively working on the problem

Wtf? If my favorite country music radio were to go off the air, I'd bet they wouldn"t set off an alert for that, and they are 10 times more important than CBC radio canada with their classical music so old, there is no copyright.
Probably just some nerd at the station who is bored out of his gord and set off the alert to spice up a boring graveyard shift.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts