Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Farmers almanac does a better job than the weather geeks.
A number of independent studies demonstrate that predictions made by the Farmer's Almanac, have not shown them more accurate than chance. Fortune cookie or tabloid weather forecasting at its finest.

Historical trends and dynamic forecasting utilize mathematical and physical models to calculate weather forecasts, and are far more reliable.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm hoping it's not as cold as it was last year, it was awful, one of the coldest in 50 years here. We did get lucky, all those horrible snow storms just went around us every time, which was strange.

I need a few more warmish days before thanksgiving, I've got one more turkey tag to fill.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
A number of independent studies demonstrate that predictions made by the Farmer's Almanac, have not shown them more accurate than chance. Fortune cookie or tabloid weather forecasting at its finest.

Historical trends and dynamic forecasting utilize mathematical and physical models to calculate weather forecasts, and are far more reliable.
It's good enough for me. "Don't need a weatherman to tell which the wind blows" Dylan

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
The same models that predicted global warming and the hurricane season that wasn't. We have freeze potentials for south Texas. Warm my ass.

Reactions: MrsInor

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The same models that predicted global warming and the hurricane season that wasn't. We have freeze potentials for south Texas. Warm my ass.
Don't confuse Al Gore and company for rational science. NOAA has this winter's predictions for a South Texas as cooler and wetter.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I've only been using the almanac a couple years but it has been surprisingly accurate so far. The older farmers out here swear by them. Sometimes I think the weatherguessers on TV just draw their predictions out of a hat.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Farmers almanac has been accurate for the last 10 years my guess is that it will be accurate again this year.
Farmers Almanac publishes vague predictions in a manner that a carny, magician, spiritual medium, or a grifter would. Not to mention that most tend to be amazed at the correct results, but forgets the rest.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Do I have to remind you folks that this is the same group of idiots who year after year (including this year) predicted many major hurricanes hitting our East and Gulf coasts?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Interesting Data thanks for posting the information!!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Might want to learn some of the old American Indian methods of observing weather and forecasting the type of weather ...... you know encase all the electronic gadgetry is not available at some point. This is why this site exists right ?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Might want to learn some of the old American Indian methods of observing weather and forecasting the type of weather ...... you know encase all the electronic gadgetry is not available at some point. This is why this site exists right ?
Doing a rain dance does not work however.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Doing a rain dance does not work however.
Agree.
Indians had some interesting other ways to broadly predict the type of winter that may be coming.

Even science is not a science.....LOL
In fact they are wrong more than they are right that's why we call them the weather guessers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was an Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets, and when he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the heck the weather was going to be.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared.

But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded. So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared.

One week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Is it going to be a very cold winter?" he asked.

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter." The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find.

Two weeks later he called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It looks like it's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was an Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets, and when he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the heck the weather was going to be.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared.

But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded. So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared.

One week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Is it going to be a very cold winter?" he asked.

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter." The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find.

Two weeks later he called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It looks like it's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."
I ran into that earlier this morning..... got a chuckle from it.:grin:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of the old saying my Great Grandparents used to convey to me. Though the observations would only provide a few hours of forecast predictions. I suspect the American Native Indians used similar methods, and couldn't predict weather weeks or months in advance, save general seasonal predictions

The higher the clouds, the finer the weather.

Clear Moon, frost soon.

Rainbow in the morning gives you fair warning.

Ring around the moon? Rain real soon.

Rain foretold, long last. Short notice, soon will pass.

Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Some of the old saying my Great Grandparents used to convey to me. Though the observations would only provide a few hours of forecast predictions. I suspect the American Native Indians used similar methods, and couldn't predict weather weeks or months in advance, save general seasonal predictions

The higher the clouds, the finer the weather.

Clear Moon, frost soon.

Rainbow in the morning gives you fair warning.

Ring around the moon? Rain real soon.

Rain foretold, long last. Short notice, soon will pass.

Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning.
Might be a good Idea to quote that source with the link and credit. I read that earlier you copied it verbatim.

They would judge by the the amounts of mast (Acorns), Height of paper wasp nests and such. You can bet they were not always right either just like the TV weather pros and there computer models that's all I'm saying. Modern trickery is not much better than old school methods in the long run.

And to quote you again Sockpuppet from your sig line "To Catch a (Farm) Predator", starring "Hawgrider"

My reply -That's right I am the predator not the prey! And I will add- When your garbage goes off your sig I will take you off the spot light on my sig as well. The ball is in your court.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Might be a good Idea to quote that source with the link and credit. I read that earlier you copied it verbatim.
It would be a good idea if you would know what the Hell you know upon the subject of copyright laws. Otherwise, it would be wise for you to take note of these other English proverbs, that aren't subject to copyright laws either:

A fool uttereth all his mind.
Don't go off half-cocked.
If you don't say it, you will not have to unsay it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts