Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people have no thyroid gland and must take Synthroid (or levothyroxine) daily. This reality begs the question: Given a cataclysmic event, where traditional pharmaceuticals can no longer be obtained, what to do? Are there herbs, other plants, fungi, or foods, say, large animal brains or thyroids that one could consume to sustain their life? My former endocrinologist said, in essence, enjoy the month or two you would have left…then you’re done.

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
A real disaster will limit access to many meds needed to keep poeple alive. I read a FEMA report that stated a 20% mortality rate of people over 65 in the first month to no meds. That was back in 2011. probably worse now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Many people have no thyroid gland and must take Synthroid (or levothyroxine) daily. This reality begs the question: Given a cataclysmic event, where traditional pharmaceuticals can no longer be obtained, what to do? Are there herbs, other plants, fungi, or foods, say, large animal brains or thyroids that one could consume to sustain their life? My former endocrinologist said, in essence, enjoy the month or two you would have left…then you’re done.
Can you get the doc to double the dosage so you can sock some away? That's what I've done with my prostate meds.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
You know we aren't going to make it out of this life, alive..

Prepare for and except your death. Life is better once you stop worrying about it. At least it was for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stock up as best you can. Keep it frozen, as long as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a similar concern as a kidney transplant. I’ve used a combo of ordering 4 quarters of Rx on 3Q+ a day THEN switch to a diff pharmacy (grocery). I could stock up on this after awhile. I hacpve 12months in reserve. This is as much as I want due to expiration dates. Use GoodRx also.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts