Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about this one!!

Georgia Arms is the 5th largest retailer of .223 Ammo in America. They sell 9mm, .45, .223 ammunition. They normally buy spent
brass from the US Department of Defense. Spent brass is "one time used" shell cases used by our Military for training purposes.

They buy the brass, recondition it, and then reload the brass for resale to Law Enforcement, Gun Clubs, Gun Shops, and stores
like Wal-Mart. They normally buy 30,000 lbs of spent brass at a time.

This week the DoD wrote a letter to the owner of Georgia Arms and informed him that from now on the DoD will be destroying the
spent brass, shredding it.
It will no longer be available to the ammo makers, unless they buy it in a scrap shredded condition (which they have no use for).

The shredded brass is now going to be sold by the DoD to China as scrap metal, after the DoD pays for it to be shredded. The DoD
is selling the brass to China for less money than the ammo makers have been paying, plus the DoD has to pay to have the brass
shredded and do the accounting paperwork.

This sure helps the economy now doesn't it? Sell cheaper to China , and do not sell at all to a proven US business. Any hidden agenda working here?
Obama going after the Firearms Industry and our ammunition!!

The Georgia Arms owner even related a story that one of his competitors had already purchased a load of brass last week. The DoD contacted him this week
and said they were sending someone over to make sure it was destroyed. Shell cases he had already bought!

The brass has no value to the ammo maker if it is destroyed/shredded/melted.
The ammo manufacturer only uses the empty brass cases to reload different calibers, mainly .223 bullets.

The owner of Georgia Arms says that he will have to lay off at least half of his 60 workers, within 2-3 months if the DoD will no
longer sell spent brass cases
to the industry. Georgia Arms has 2-3 months of inventory to use, by summer they're out.

If the Reloading Industry has to purchase new manufacture brass cases, then the cost of ammunition will double or even triple,
plus Obama wants to add a 500% tax on each shell.

You can read the information and see the DoD letter to Georgia Arms here:
The Shootist Site The Shootist: DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers

If you're not outraged at what this administration is doing you
should be! Be Afraid! Be Very, Very Afraid! Get involved! It's Your Freedom and Our Country They're Stealing! If You Fail to Act Now,
there may not be a Free United States tomorrow!

·
Registered
135 Posts
How about this one!!

Georgia Arms is the 5th largest retailer of .223 Ammo in America. They sell 9mm, .45, .223 ammunition. They normally buy spent
brass from the US Department of Defense. Spent brass is "one time used" shell cases used by our Military for training purposes.

They buy the brass, recondition it, and then reload the brass for resale to Law Enforcement, Gun Clubs, Gun Shops, and stores
like Wal-Mart. They normally buy 30,000 lbs of spent brass at a time.

This week the DoD wrote a letter to the owner of Georgia Arms and informed him that from now on the DoD will be destroying the
spent brass, shredding it.
It will no longer be available to the ammo makers, unless they buy it in a scrap shredded condition (which they have no use for).

The shredded brass is now going to be sold by the DoD to China as scrap metal, after the DoD pays for it to be shredded. The DoD
is selling the brass to China for less money than the ammo makers have been paying, plus the DoD has to pay to have the brass
shredded and do the accounting paperwork.

This sure helps the economy now doesn't it? Sell cheaper to China , and do not sell at all to a proven US business. Any hidden agenda working here?
Obama going after the Firearms Industry and our ammunition!!

The Georgia Arms owner even related a story that one of his competitors had already purchased a load of brass last week. The DoD contacted him this week
and said they were sending someone over to make sure it was destroyed. Shell cases he had already bought!

The brass has no value to the ammo maker if it is destroyed/shredded/melted.
The ammo manufacturer only uses the empty brass cases to reload different calibers, mainly .223 bullets.

The owner of Georgia Arms says that he will have to lay off at least half of his 60 workers, within 2-3 months if the DoD will no
longer sell spent brass cases
to the industry. Georgia Arms has 2-3 months of inventory to use, by summer they're out.

If the Reloading Industry has to purchase new manufacture brass cases, then the cost of ammunition will double or even triple,
plus Obama wants to add a 500% tax on each shell.

You can read the information and see the DoD letter to Georgia Arms here:
The Shootist Site The Shootist: DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers

If you're not outraged at what this administration is doing you
should be! Be Afraid! Be Very, Very Afraid! Get involved! It's Your Freedom and Our Country They're Stealing! If You Fail to Act Now,
there may not be a Free United States tomorrow!
I have been waiting for this news to come down the pipe! I have bought many lots of spent cases from DOD/Government liquidations! I thought they may do this! I have not bought spent casings in a few years though because the price became astronomical! I think it is time we start producing guns that do not use this old technology! If we used hydrogen as our fuel for combustion we would be able to eliminate the brass casings and every one could melt lead and pour it into a mold to produce their projectiles. The hydrogen could be produced on demand through electrolysis within the gun. It would load measured amounts of hydrogen in the chamber behind the projectile. (kind of like an air rifle)
Hydrogen expands at roughly 265cm per second under thermal ignition which is far faster than gunpowder @ around 35cm per second!

Another way to create a gun that does not use brass casings is to use thin piece of aluminum at the back of your projectile that loads into a rifle. If you ignite the aluminum with a probe that causes an arc the aluminum will explode into a plasma gas. This is a violent explosion and will send a projectile down range at 12,000 - 15,000 FPS. ( those velocities will melt lead so an alternate material will have to be used as a projectile)

It makes sense to up date the old Brass casing system anyway! Obama is unknowingly just helping us push the walls of the box down!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Everything i'm reading confirms this is old.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
The largest liquidator of military brass is www.govliquidation.com, who are still selling it. If you look at some of the auctions, it clearly says, "Mutilation not required."

Edited to include an example listing:

Item Location: Albuquerque, NM

Opening Bid: $25.00

Description: 8 lbs (approx) 5.56mm Fired Brass expended cartridges in one M19A1 Ammo Container. Cartridge head stamp markings to include but not limited to: LC07, LC08, and WCC11. Lot may contain cartridges with other markings. Brass weight is approx. 9 lbs and M19A1 Can is approx. 4 lbs for a total shipping weight of 12 lbs. Preview by appointment only with 48 hrs advance notice at least one week prior to sale start date. GL will provide Tail Gate Loading. Mutilation not required.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is an urban legend that keeps coming up every 6 months or so. It is NOT happening. There was once a 'memo' somewhere that someone's brothers friend saw, but there have been several published statements that they are NOT doing this. Fear mongering to try and sell stuff at a premium usually.

About the only thing that you can't get from the liquidation is concertina wire - it is almost always destroyed beyond use before they let it leave the base/depot/whathaveyou.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Im not worried too much about this if it comes to be true at some point. I got 55,000 in 5.56, 30,000 in 7.62, 20,000 in 9mm and a tri-wall of once fired Federal 12 ga 00-buck plastic hulls. Something like this coming from the current administration wouldnt surprise me in the least though as it would be par for the course. I mean what has Obama done to increase jobs, build the economy or lower energy prices?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hmmm sounds like its time to work on that 5.56 muzzel loader Iv'e been thinking about. I know this is an urban legend, but nessesity is the mother of invention.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I spoke to the owner of Georgia Arms on this very subject over a year ago. They are still buying it. I will say,.... he didn't have any kind things to say about the current administration........ I am a long time customer of theirs - I buy plenty of reloading supplies from them every year.

I'm a little surprised to see this posted yesterday since this was from 2009.

1895gunner

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
They'll get us one way or another. My hat is off and my finger on the trigger for those who voted this turd into office, not once, but twice. I mean really, those stupid enough to believe him the first time actually voted for him again :?:. Given the current climate of government over-reach, scandals, obliteration of the constitution, unemployment rates climbing once again, costs going up, income going down, proposed amnesty for illegals and so on, I feel that a SHTF situation is coming sooner than later; absent the Mayan's and their calendar.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I spoke to the owner of Georgia Arms on this very subject over a year ago. They are still buying it. I will say,.... he didn't have any kind things to say about the current administration........ I am a long time customer of theirs - I buy plenty of reloading supplies from them every year.

I'm a little surprised to see this posted yesterday since this was from 2009.

1895gunner
It's a common thing for newbie preppers to get excited about old news/propaganda, there's a lot of information to absorb all at once and one can forget about the timeliness and accuracy of the information on the interwebs.

Or they inspire fear to sell their supplies

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a common thing for newbie preppers to get excited about old news/propaganda, there's a lot of information to absorb all at once and one can forget about the timeliness and accuracy of the information on the interwebs.

Or they inspire fear to sell their supplies
I posted this because of an email a friend sent me. I was out workin cows and checked email when Ia came home for lunch. I did not have time to verify.. As for being a newbie prepper, I have been prepping since before I joined the Marines over 20 years ago and am by no means a newbie! Nor tryin to inspire fear to sell supplies..

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Well your friend must be a newbie or didn't have time to verify either. While it may not apply to you, I still stand by my post.

I see you have a survival blog and a radio show. Will un-verified material be on these also?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well your friend must be a newbie or didn't have time to verify either. While it may not apply to you, I still stand by my post.

I see you have a survival blog and a radio show. Will un-verified material be on these also?
Come on, give me a break.. I came in for lunch and posted an email I got.. Big deal.. Does everyone verify stuff they post on message boards?? As for the blog. we are posting stuff we do OURSELVES..

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Come on, give me a break.. I came in for lunch and posted an email I got.. Big deal.. Does everyone verify stuff they post on message boards?? As for the blog. we are posting stuff we do OURSELVES..
I don't worry about it,I usually read it before posting though, but then I don't call myself a "PrepConsultant" either. I know little and I can prove it. That's why I don't have a blog or radio show.

Good luck with the show and don't take it personal, I don't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts