Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recommend the Hatsan 125 sniper in .25 caliber! Kills hogs no problem. Get the nitro piston installed in it for cold weather use! depending on the pellets you use you will be hitting your game with 25-30 foot pounds of energy. I killed a 230lb hog with one shot.

There are a lot more powerful airguns out there but they require a charge of air in the tank. They are called PCP air rifles and will take down buffalo. The Ranger .45 is a nice one for really big game! But for simplicity of use I love the accuracy and power of the Hatsan 125 sniper with a nitro piston!

Not to mention you do not need to register a air gun as of yet!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well, it's certainly a lot cheaper than the big boy air rifles that run +1200 to much higher. Being a single shot, you better be spot on with your first shot with a Javelina though, lol.

Suppressed air rifles have always fascinated me. Especially since casting rounds is easy enough if you have the mold.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I like pellet guns and hunt small game with mine but recommending that pellet gun for hogs is like recommending a .22 for elephants, a 22 grain pellet at 800 fps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like pellet guns and hunt small game with mine but recommending that pellet gun for hogs is like recommending a .22 for elephants, a 22 grain pellet at 800 fps.
Not true! Your Odds of putting an elephant down with a .22 are way less than putting a hog down with a high power air gun if killing an elephant with a .22 is even possible with one shot. (even with a high power rifle it is hard to knock down an elephant) It does not seem like you have ever owned a high power air gun or shot hogs properly! It takes proper shot placement for a humane kill. I shot 3 coyote last year killed them instantly. I will admit there is a small learning curve with an air rifle but its well worth it if that is all you have to shoot because you don't want to use up your fire arm ammo!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
When I was a kid I owned a Crossman 760 pump air rifle. It's what I cut my teeth on. When there was an ammo shortage because I couldn't get a yard to cut I used grape nuts. Those little dudes would put a respectable ding on a roof turban I can tell you.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What do you consider an FWB124? I have a few thousand rounds through it. I have killed many hogs and coyotes with conventional firearms both pistols and rifles I'm not sure if I shot the "properly". That gun shoots a 25 grain pellet at 750 fps, feeble even by .22 lr standards which shoots a 33 grrain bullet at about 1300 fps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You will have to crony the actual velocity and then do the math or use a ballistics calculator to get the foot pounds of energy for the projectile you are using! I would not hit a hog with less than 25 fpe or else you may cause it to suffer. The air gun you mentioned was an awesome air gun in its day but even then it was shooting a .177 (7.4 grain) at 800 fps. That calculates to around 10.5 foot pounds of energy which is not enough to kill anything larger than a small **** humanly. Also that particular air gun is a spring gun and the spring has lost a lot of its power by this point in its life. Another very important thing to remember is Accuracy! Some of the most powerful air guns are not accurate unless you have tested many pellets to find the brand and weight that shoots the most accurate in your gun. If it wont make at least a 1" group at 50 yards it will not be a good hunting rifle! Another thing to remember is a lot of air gun companies over state the actual velocities of their products. But the killing force is not how fast the projectile leaves the gun but how many foot pounds of energy it hits the game with. Also keep in mind if a pellet is traveling faster than the speed of sound it makes a loud crack and often tumbles through the air making it inaccurate. You really dont want to exceed 1100 fps to prevent the loud crack and tumbling.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper .22 that fires at 975fps using PBA pellets (which I don't use,too expensive) and an older BAM B-21 in .22 at around 800fps,IIRC,that I know will make a hog do a backflip as i've taken hogs and other smaller game with them many times over the years.I also still have my Crossman pneumatic .177 pellet rifle and my Daisey Red Ryder from when I was a kid,both still in great working order.

I love them for several reasons actually.The biggest being that even though I live in a very rural area,I am still in a corporation limit.So no discharging of firearms at my property.Been backyard plinking before the shortage and even more so since,saving my "real" ammo.I also use them to rough sight in new scopes for other rifles,when I get it in close to perfect,i'll put it on the intended gun and fine tune the scope from there,again,saving ammo,yet still practicing while having fun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got my son the Crosman bug out kit! It has a .22 cal pump master / back packer in it. It is really freaking accurate! I was shooting quarters at 30 feet right out of the box. I have seen people mod these pump masters to around 600 fps and at 14.3 grain that is 11.5 fpe which will kill small game with proper shot placement.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You will have to crony the actual velocity and then do the math or use a ballistics calculator to get the foot pounds of energy for the projectile you are using! I would not hit a hog with less than 25 fpe or else you may cause it to suffer. The air gun you mentioned was an awesome air gun in its day but even then it was shooting a .177 (7.4 grain) at 800 fps. That calculates to around 10.5 foot pounds of energy which is not enough to kill anything larger than a small **** humanly. Also that particular air gun is a spring gun and the spring has lost a lot of its power by this point in its life. Another very important thing to remember is Accuracy! Some of the most powerful air guns are not accurate unless you have tested many pellets to find the brand and weight that shoots the most accurate in your gun. If it wont make at least a 1" group at 50 yards it will not be a good hunting rifle! Another thing to remember is a lot of air gun companies over state the actual velocities of their products. But the killing force is not how fast the projectile leaves the gun but how many foot pounds of energy it hits the game with. Also keep in mind if a pellet is traveling faster than the speed of sound it makes a loud crack and often tumbles through the air making it inaccurate. You really dont want to exceed 1100 fps to prevent the loud crack and tumbling.
The math is: weight in grains x velocity x velocity divided by 450400 = foot pounds of energy.
So pellet gun 7.4gr x 800fps x 800fps / 450400 = 10.5 ft pounds

A 22 LR stinger 33gr x 1300 x1300 / 450400 = 123 ft pounds

5.56x45 55gr.
55 x 3200 x 3200 / 450400 = 1250.4 ft/lbs
A good formula to know when comparing ballistics.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 13yr old has the 760 .177 pumpmaster rifle and it's not bad for a $35 pellet rifle.We put a cheap 4x32 scope on it and even though it's not a major player,it's pretty decent for a target plinker,he really likes it.

I originally started him off with the red ryder,but my God,what a cheap freaking knock off vs the old original that I have.Matter off fact,he doesn't even use it at all,he prefers mine,easier to cock,and my 35 yr old spring is still stronger than his new POS,which of coarse adds to the distance and accuracy for iron sight plinkin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My sons is the crosman backpacker which is the 1322 with a 12" barrel and the detachable stock. Its nice because you can order the pistol grips for it also. Below is a pic of the kit. Great starter bag for a 10 year old. Though the included components are lame it is a start for him, and because it is so accurate i figured it would serve him well. I have bought him a red rider and it was so inaccurate its not worth shooting. I then bought him a daisy pistol and again the accuracy sucks. But boy for a every day shooter for a kid to learn on I must say the 1322 pump master pellet guns are a hit! The mods that can be done to that gun are also something fun for the kids to look forward to! You can even get a barrel up to 24" long for it. 2013-06-09 23.38.35.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes but when your out of ammo its better then throwing sticks at rabbits! The seals are typically just o rings that you can pickup anywhere. Now that I think about it I break the springs in my pistols more often than my air rifles! ( I have killed small game with a throw stick and also my tomahawk ) Ill see If I can get a video of me killing a rabbit tonight with my hawk.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I use a Beeman RS2 in .177 almost daily on the ranch. About 1000 fps and deadly accurate .

Imlikenthe Monte Carlo stock and it weights about the same as a big game rifle hitch which is good cheap practice.

Amazon.com: Beeman RS2 Air Rifle Combo: Sports & Outdoors

Not a bad price, I'll have to check for my ammo source, if I order 3 they send 4, brain is farting me atm

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I just got back in from trying to nab a rabbit with my hawk but my dog was with me and he's a pup so he just chased them around before I could get close enough to pop one with the tomahawk! Found out My camera also sucks at night! If I would have taken the pellet gun I would have had at least 5 rabbits. Im going to let the rabbits settle and go back out in a few hours without the dog! 481521_4016338163229_221594056_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've always believed in having a wide range of weapons, from high tech to a board with a nail in it. The air gun fits right into that thought process. I could see a time where someone wants to bag game or whatever not want the noise of discharging a firearm. And who knows if things get really sour, in the distant future, there may be a time when there is no ammo. A working spring action air gun with homemade ammo might put a person top of the food chain. There are a lot of good ones out there, so I have yet to make a purchase, I still have my Crossman 750 pumpmaster (or whatever it is) good for killing a squirrel or rabbit at close range, but one day will buy a better one.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I love my pellet gun. I shoot it more than anything I have. I can shoot in my back yard. You can put a thousand rounds in your pocket. It has dispatched many feral cats, possums, etc. But it is like hunting with a icepick. Shot placement is critical. I actually lobotimized a cat. Shot it square between the eye, exit wound on the back of the head. The cat lived!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love my pellet gun. I shoot it more than anything I have. I can shoot in my back yard. You can put a thousand rounds in your pocket. It has dispatched many feral cats, possums, etc. But it is like hunting with a icepick. Shot placement is critical. I actually lobotimized a cat. Shot it square between the eye, exit wound on the back of the head. The cat lived!
Ouch! poor cat I hope you gave it a humane follow up shot! I only hunt with a .22 caliber or higher with air guns. I just ordered a Benjamin Marauder in .25 caliber. It has a built in suppressor and is very quiet. I did not realize that there were so many mods for that gun. Its only draw back is that it is a PCP but sense I will be using it for hunting only im fine with pumping it up with a hand pump to top off the tank after taking 20 or so shots. I think I will have to pump it 100 times to top the tank back up to 3000 psi from 2000 psi. I also did not know that you could modify it from the 40 foot pounds of energy to 70 foot pounds of energy for around $100. I chose the .25 caliber because the barrel is not made by crosman and is much more accurate its made by green mountain!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts