Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During times of an "event" communications always plays a big part. Be it HAM radio, d-star networks, cell networks, sms network and such. Would be nice to have a location to talk about such things.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree. Those of us that are here trying to be helpful now would be nice if we had a way to keep a level of comms going after SHTF. I know alot want to go into there undisclosed location mode. But theres another more mainstream group that would certainly benefit from comms. HAMM is certainly the most likely candidate if cell/interent fell. But IMO it would be a perty drastic event before we lost cell/internet access.

I recomend the skype/teamspeak type servers that are dependent on internet but are free and can be used for real time world wide comms and have secure passworded servers. You know whos on the comms etc. Its a viable today for sure. We use it for gaming and we do amazing coordination with in real time.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Cellular and Internet infrastructure are more fragile and "controllable" than you might think... not to mention eminently more "monitor-able".
Skype is owned by MS, so subsequently it's owned by "the man".
TeamSpeak/Ventrillo style VoIP servers can be run on private servers which makes them somewhat more secure... could be useful.
I have a number of privately owned servers on very fast connections... I'd be happy to spin up a PrepperForums.net TS server if there's interest.
Amateur Radio still holds the top slot for reliable communications without commercial infrastructure and should be considered as part of a complete preparedness plan.

BTW: Congratulations to the 9 new southern Maine hams that successfully passed their exams at our test session last night!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As many can remember during 911, and other regional events the Cell networks are the first to go down. The Internet, being more distributed is nearly impossible if not completely impossible to shutdown completely but relativity easy to bring down in small regions.

My point of my original post is why isn't there a forum where these types of things can be discussed and new topics created?

New hams pass Tech or General? Seem them on 2m or 20m?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
7 new techs and 2 new Generals from last nights session... every one that tested went away happy.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My point of my original post is why isn't there a forum where these types of things can be discussed and new topics created?
Are you suggesting we have something set up ahead of time ? I mean Teamspeak is just free long distance phone service using the internet. Easy to do. or am I misreading you >?

Or are you requesting a communications forum that is seperate like gardening.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think a comms sub-forum would be a good idea as well.
TeamSpeak / Ventrillo are more like Internet "voice chat" services than an Internet phone service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm totally nieve about this type of radio but very interested. Bout to ck the net to get a crash course do I don't sound so dumb about this topic. Would u guys consider having a beginners class/discussion so some of us interested but ignorant people could b brought up to speed?..

·
Registered
219 Posts
d-star networks, cell networks, sms network ...None would work unless you could keep a generator / Landline phone and internet running.

Ham radio simplex would be the only thing worthwhile in a prolonged emergency.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
d-star networks, cell networks, sms network ...None would work unless you could keep a generator / Landline phone and internet running.

Ham radio simplex would be the only thing worthwhile in a prolonged emergency.
That would depend. I have battery backups for my radio's and have several in the safe just in case. Antenna's won't be affected.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That would depend. I have battery backups for my radio's and have several in the safe just in case. Antenna's won't be affected.
Lots of ham repeaters have batteries that keep em going for a day or two if they are used lightly...after that if the power dont come back on they go down. we arent talking a dozen D cells here or a box of AA's...we are talking several deep cycle marine batteries at 80 pounds each or the super expensive and just as heavy gell cell batteries.I keep 6 new 27 Series Marine deep cycle batteries a large supply of gasoline and a pair of generators...I also have solar panels for charging batteries as well.

D star depends almost soley on the internet for distance...otherwise its like a regular repeater...Internet goes down...battery backup goes down...Its done.

Cell sites and SMS have a 48 to 72 hour backup generator....During Katrina and after some cell sites didnt come up for months....During 9/11 some were out weeks. During the Oklahoma City Bombing some cell sites were out for weeks. We have local cell sites here that sometimes go out for a week just because some idiot thats too sorry to work decides he wants to sell copper!

If your a ham and only have handheld radios....you have about a 5 mile range without a repeater...possibly 10 to 15 with a good outdoor directional antenna...How many batteries you have dont really matter if you dont have a repeater or internet...If you want distance without the net and repeaters your going to have to go the HF radio.

I keep up a couple of ham radio repeaters myself.

SSGT

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
I guess I should have said that I was talking about 2m/70cm and HF radios. Even if power goes down, I should be able to be up and running. Simplex on 2m with the right antenna can cover a large area. An nvis antenna for hf will cover short to medium range. Regular antenna's will cover the majority of the country even on battery power.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I know cell isn't an option for long term but in a short term scenario I find that TEXT MESSAGES reach the most people, eat the least bandwidth and are the most reliable. After that I think we need like two or three designated prepper frequencies on HAM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.