Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Learn to reverence night and to put away the vulgar fear of it.."- Henry Beston

If you can see in the dark and the gangs can't, it kinda gives you an edge..;)

There have been assorted small hand-held night vision devices on sale to the public for many years at affordable prices, I haven't got one myself but they're certainly worth considering for UFO/ghost/Bigfoot-chasing/gang-dodging or whatever, ha ha!
There are two basic sorts, image-intensifiers (greenish image), and much more expensive thermal imagers (infra-red black/white).
Here are an assortment of net sites-

USEFUL DISCUSSION FORUM- Night Vision - OpticsPlanet Forums - Reviews, Discussions, Feedback, Ratings

LIST OF STOCKISTS- ATN: Where To Buy - Night Vision Goggles, Night Vision Scopes, Binoculars, Riflescopes, Laser Devices

TECHY STUFF- How Does Night Vision Work? We answer Your Night Vision Questions!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
stocked up IR also

·
Registered
570 Posts
Be careful using early gen stuff. Some of it uses an acitve IR light to see, and it's the Night vision equivilent of walking around with a flashlight on. Good for shooting coyotes, or two-legged varmits, not so good if the other guy has NODs too.

Night vision is the one area I feel completely naked in, mostly because I've gotten used to having them for work. Having played OPFor a few times without NODs, going up against people that have them, I can tell you it's not fun. You always feel like you're about to walk into an ambush you can't see. That said, there are ways to defeat NODs, especially in Urban areas. One trick I've found to be really effective is to wait for a group with NV to enter a room, and then hit them with a white light. Almost every time, they stop in their tracks, and stare at you like a deer in head lights.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Generally surplus gen 1 is as good as your eyes are once adjusted to the darkness.
I have owned many pairs (still have one set). Generally they make cool toys. Without IR they are pretty much useless.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Be careful using early gen stuff. Some of it uses an acitve IR light to see, and it's the Night vision equivilent of walking around with a flashlight on. Good for shooting coyotes, or two-legged varmits, not so good if the other guy has NODs too.

Night vision is the one area I feel completely naked in, mostly because I've gotten used to having them for work. Having played OPFor a few times without NODs, going up against people that have them, I can tell you it's not fun. You always feel like you're about to walk into an ambush you can't see. That said, there are ways to defeat NODs, especially in Urban areas. One trick I've found to be really effective is to wait for a group with NV to enter a room, and then hit them with a white light. Almost every time, they stop in their tracks, and stare at you like a deer in head lights.
You get what you pay for in Night Vision equipment. The pvs-14 pinnacle is a great scope and using it in the mono mode you shouldn't have any big issue of being hit with white light. It will auto gate the light and may just go dark but then you would just switch to the other eye. You are right about IR light looking like a flashlight also I wouldn't use red light at night for the same reason I would go with blue as it will still keep your natural night vision but doesn't show up as good on NV equipment. One of the best uses of NV would be scanning a building or areas to see if any light is being used even if someone is using a candle in a building you would see it coming through a window. Now if they would only work behind an ACOG instead of an eotech they would be almost perfect.

Edit: I just tested an PVS-14 pinnacle to see what would happen if you walked into a room and someone turned on the light. So I walked into a almost completely dark room and turned on a 100 watt light and I was surprised that it didn't make a lot of difference the scope auto gated it down to to where it wasn't much brighter than when the light was off, in fact it wouldn't have been as bad as someone just turning a light on after being out in the dark and I could look directly into the 100 watt bulb and it wasn't any brighter than the rest of the room something you couldn't do with out looking through the scope. So if I did walk into a room and someone all of a sudden shined one of those flashlights that supposed to temporarily bland you the most it would do is blank out the light and I would see everything else clearly. With a gen 1 a light from anywhere will almost completely overload it.

·
Super Moderator
2,932 Posts
If you don't mind, let me resurface this topic. I'm curious as to what others are using and the various experiences.

I believe for me, it makes sense in a prepping scenario as well as for sailing at night.

In all cases, I want to have the best advantage.

Personally I'd probably limit it to a gen2 but I'm interested in binoculars as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
From all my research and my recommendation; If you can afford it get the PVS-14. If you can't get a 'good' Gen 1 monocle.

I have these two Gen 1s and for the money (which is a SMALL fraction of the PVS-14) I really like them:
Amazon.com: Yukon - NV 1x24 Goggles: Sports & Outdoors
and the monocole version which to me is MUCH easier to use and more effective:
Yukon NVMT 1x24 Head Mount Kit : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

Benefits of monocle over bino's is you still have one eye 'free' from the technology and for me it makes walking much easier.

Benefits of Gen 1 over anything until you start getting into the Gen 3+ or Gen 4 is A) Cost B) tube life (gen 1s last a LONG time, 2s and cheaper 3s are usually rated in the hundreds of hours) C) until you get to Gen 3+ or 4 you are still using IR illumination to help you see.

·
Super Moderator
2,932 Posts
Nathan, thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the Yukons.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Don't forget FLIR I have both pvs-14 night vision and ps32 FLIR, they cost about the same and I find myself using the ps32 more. I can scan the field in front of my house with the ps32 and many times I can not find the animals with the pvs-14 even though I now know where they are.

PVS-14 Night Vision VS PS32 Forward looking infrared.
PVS-14 has Super long battery life one AA battery will run it 40 hours. PS32 has internal lithium ion battery that last about 5 hours before recharging.
PVS-14 can be used behind many rifle sites that have night vision setting like an Eotech
PVS-14 can look through glass the PS32 will not see through glass but will see reflection in the glass like a mirror (reason why you can't use it behind a scope or red dot site.
PVS-14 you can walk around at night with very little ambient light or use the ir light on the unit. PS32 resolution depends on the difference of temperatures of its surroundings.
PVS-14 works in real time, the PS32 is like looking through a movie camera with a 9 hertz camera so you can not move it real fast.
PVS-14 you can recognize the person you are looking at, The PS32 show heat so even at a few feet away you could not tell 100% who you are looking at.
PS32 is like an extra sense in that you see heat, when you look at a car you can not read the licence plate, but you can tell about how long ago the car has been driven or if it has been sitting in the same place very long.
PS32 also has the available to see the level of propane or water in a tank, see if something electrical is on see if electricity is going through wires.
PS32 does not need any light at all you cant tell the difference if the room is totally dark are completely lit up.
PS32 the heat from living creatures make them look like lighted Christmas displays. You will see animals (or people) that you would not see with the PVS-14 you can scan a complete field in a couple of seconds.

Cool factor
PVS-14 8 out of 10 great turning night into day
PS32 9 out of 10 you can write on the wall with you finger and then watch the writing slowly melt away or see you foot prints if bare footed.
PS32 has an instant red modes that make locating animal or humans even faster.
Weight and size they are about the same but the PS32 has much better location of controls.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
JUST EAT MORE CARROTS.....Na. I wanna try some, hands on, before I purchase anything.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong but i think the 3 types of night vision devices are-
1- Passive Infra-red is the best type but very expensive, it can see even in pitch-black conditions, for example in a totally dark cellar it'd easily pic up a warm mouse, and in a black countryside it'd see warm cattle and sheep for miles.
2- Active infra-red shines an invisible IR light which the camera picks up as it reflects back off objects, but the range is only about 50 (?) yards
3- Image intensifier is the well-known green glow device which magnifies whatever faint ambient light there is such as starlight, but if everywhere is pitch black it won't see a thing.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong but i think the 3 types of night vision devices are-
1- Passive Infra-red is the best type but very expensive, it can see even in pitch-black conditions, for example in a totally dark cellar it'd easily pic up a warm mouse, and in a black countryside it'd see warm cattle and sheep for miles.
2- Active infra-red shines an invisible IR light which the camera picks up as it reflects back off objects, but the range is only about 50 (?) yards
3- Image intensifier is the well-known green glow device which magnifies whatever faint ambient light there is such as starlight, but if everywhere is pitch black it won't see a thing.
Passive Infra-red is a term usually used for sensors. like motion detectors used in the house. In the US the device you are talking about is normally referred to as FLIR (forward looking infrared) they use detection of infrared radiation, typically emitted from a heat source, to create a "picture" assembled for video output.

Active infra-red can be just about any camera that sees infra-red light, many video cameras can see infra-red to a degree even your smart phone (watch your TV remote through one) they do not have to have light gathering or amplification ability.

Image intensifier is what is normally used for night vision equipment. They typically can amplify light 30,000 to 60,000 times and they also amplify light very good in the infrared range so some come with a Ir illuminator for complete dark or very low light.

·
Super Moderator
2,932 Posts
Interesting.. I have a video camera that has "night vision". I've played with it on and off but never where it was completely dark with zero light or just star light.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, I should probably change/amend my recommendation above. If you can afford PVS-14 or a FLIR, get the flir and a Gen 1 NVG. Now that I have m mediocre but capably NVG a FLIR is ahead of a real PVS-14 on my wish/dream list.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah, I should probably change/amend my recommendation above. If you can afford PVS-14 or a FLIR, get the flir and a Gen 1 NVG. Now that I have m mediocre but capably NVG a FLIR is ahead of a real PVS-14 on my wish/dream list.
Flir vs PSV-14 What are your intended uses
PSV-14 is better at seeing things at night
Flir PS-32 much better at seeing living things.

Looking through the Flir notice that the background is not nearly as clear as it would be looking through a psv-14 but with the ps32 flir that deer is pretty hard to miss.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Flir vs PSV-14 What are your intended uses
PSV-14 is better at seeing things at night
Flir PS-32 much better at seeing living things.

Looking through the Flir notice that the background is not nearly as clear as it would be looking through a psv-14 but with the ps32 flir that deer is pretty hard to miss.
I have 2 gen 1 NVGs, and there are 2 more gen 1s at my BOL, although one is a scope that i wouldn't ever really trust for much of anything...(That should be another recommendation, stay away from scopes! unless, once again you are paying for military grade hardware, which costs $$$$$)

I want FLIR for 'scanning' the area during the day and night. a quick scan of a couple of minutes with a FLIR I think would be much more effective than someone just scanning with BINOs. The idea is that FLIR will help me identify anyone or anything approaching through brush/grass/etc.

My theory is that the FLIR would be a much better 'force multiplier' than even high end NVG, but at ~$3000a pop it will be just a theory for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have 2 gen 1 NVGs, and there are 2 more gen 1s at my BOL, although one is a scope that i wouldn't ever really trust for much of anything...(That should be another recommendation, stay away from scopes! unless, once again you are paying for military grade hardware, which costs $$$$$)

I want FLIR for 'scanning' the area during the day and night. a quick scan of a couple of minutes with a FLIR I think would be much more effective than someone just scanning with BINOs. The idea is that FLIR will help me identify anyone or anything approaching through brush/grass/etc.

My theory is that the FLIR would be a much better 'force multiplier' than even high end NVG, but at ~$3000a pop it will be just a theory for quite a while.
That is the perfect thing the Flir is good at, but you don't need to scan for a couple of minutes. Depending on your setting any living thing will glow and even if it is behind a bush what ever part isn't hidden will glow so you may not know what is behind the bush, but you know something hot is there. I can scan the woods in front of my house at night with the ps32 flir and within a few seconds I know if there is any animals there, Then I switch to the PSV-14 and many times I can't see the animals with the PSV-14 night vision even though I know exactly where they are and there are even street lights around that helps the PSV-14 NV.

If you asked me now which one would I give up the PVS-14 or PS32, it would be like asking me what do I want to give up my eye sight or hearing the PS32 is actually like giving you an extra sense one of seeing heat.

There is a ps24 that is a lot cheaper but it doesn't have the 2x magnifier and not nearly as good of a display. Also remember when scanning with a Flir you can not look through glass or you will just see yourself holding the flir.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts