Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, so i live on a dead end street with 4 other house. The house next to me was for sale for a while and a couple moved in with a dog. Between my house and theres, there was no fence, but you can def tell where property line is. They put up a fence and didnt even say a word to me. Some of my plants are on that side of the house so now i have to squeeze like 2 ft across space to get them. I TRIED being nice and waving and such but idk something dont seem right. I put a few pictures of the block and fence let me know what i should do? leave it alone? etc..You can see the new gate on the right

thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
young couple with dog,
if it's a moral question, have a little chat on the lines "thanks for the heads up"

but what would you prefer, the fence or the dog running in your yard??

but they should have let you know (but at least they didn't want you to pay half)

it's a poor quality fence tho

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Are they being nice neighbors and just trying to control their dog?
Do they work really weird hours so being neighborly and visiting just doesn't work?
Maybe your being to friendly or they "heard" something from another neighbor that makes them nervous about you. Take down the "your within range" sign.
I don't think it's that big of deal. Sure someone new is getting close to YOUR space but it could be a lot worse. Just think how lucky you are that they don't have a bunch of kids that ride sport bikes or HD's. No late night loud parties until dawn?? Just let it go, live and let live. As long as they don't damage property/tresspass what can you do?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
want to but cant
I always thought the same thing.. Had a great job making 6 figures but just wasn't happy where we were. And we lived ON the beach.. If you really WANT to move, you can.. Just find a way to make it happen..Takes a leap of faith! It was the BEST decision we ever made! Although I rethink it sometimes when it gets to 40 below here and back in Florida it's like 75/80..LOL

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
like just let me know
They probably did not imagine they needed to inform, ask permission or seek your approval to do something in their own yard?
They probably moved there because of how much neighborhood associations completely suck.
They may just be happy living their lives and don't know about the level of nosiness and attention paying required to live there?
They may be a little scared of you. You don't have a dog?
My perspective is colored. I am older and come from a country where "hey enjoy minding your own business in your own happy castle" was ok, plus I never looked at people who came up on me as "automatic friend" or people who left me alone as "malevolent" - quite the opposite in fact.
I mean, you got this "bug" that they owe you already, so what's your first conversation got to hover around? "Yeah but you need to ask me before you do something in your yard."
I'd let them be and think "they're ok" because as it stands, they could still be good neighbors about something that counts when it really matters. That's more important. I make a point of leaving my neighbors alone unless it is something important that does matter "hey your dog got out so I tricked him into hanging out here until you got back" or "I'm gonna have fifty guests laughing until dawn. Come by if you want to."
But I'm not "gregarious" and my neighbor is welcome to live in peace for years without seeing me, "being on the right team" or meeting my approval. I avoid all that because people are too often child like hypocrites looking to "share the misery" and more than anything "see if they approve" of you, your house and yours. I have to avoid those people and just smile because I'd really rather poison them - but, live and let live is supposed to be societie's better agreement.
Just think how funny it sounds "they should let me know"...and think that they already did righteous by protecting their pet with a fence that is attractive and fits the level of the neighborhood and they have done no one any wrong...that's all they are supposed to do.
Young couples are wrapped up in each other and "making house", they probably have no idea of your thoughts.
It could be me over there you know? Laughing at the " neighborhood monitor" who is gonna "survive" with cameras on ya 24/7 and "visiting" frequently with canker sores and intractable flatulence you think come from your girlfriend or diet.
Kinda makes those kids look nice after all don't it? Ahahaha!

(Disclaimer: I have never, never never ever, done any such thing to anyone even when I thought I should. I'm a basically cheerful and optimistic person even tho I'm not so "folksy" except at parties and holidays. Animal and nature saint even if I don't much go for the whole "little league pta is just vital and we ALL nose around and make each other miserable constantly! It's so fun and you HAVE to! My name's chastity pariah dolores umbridge (the guy version!) and we leave no soul unmolested!")

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Fences are GOOD! Every house that I know of has got one dividing it from next door, your neighbours are not trying to insult you or anything.
If I moved into a place that didn't have a fence I'd soon put one up even if the neighbours were the nicest people on earth.
It's been part of normal human survival instinct to put up fences and walls for thousands of years..:)

JAMESTOWN, VIRGINIA

NAM

CARCASSONNE, FRANCE

IRON AGE SETTLEMENT, ENGLAND

EUROPEAN MOTTE AND BAILEY

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Fences are GOOD! Every house that I know of has got one dividing it from next door.
If I moved into a place that didn't have a fence I'd soon put one up even if the neighbours were the nicest people on earth.
I think it's been part of normal human survival instinct for thousands of years..:)
Good fences make great neighbors

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd let them be and think "they're ok" because as it stands, they could still be good neighbors about something that counts when it really matters. That's more important. I make a point of leaving my neighbors alone unless it is something important that does matter "hey your dog got out so I tricked him into hanging out here until you got back" or "I'm gonna have fifty guests laughing until dawn. Come by if you want to."
We're you at my house last night?

Ok, so my neighbors way down the street, have 2 mutts. They get out every day and every night. They work 24/7 so when I see the dogs out, I call them over, let the pups hang out until the owners get home. I even helped the guy build a kennel, but the one dog is an escape artist. The other one just follows.

And about the people all night, had friends over, then other friends randomly showed up, then Mormon elders showed up and then my neighbor with the 2 dogs, showed up. House was packed. It was awesome haha

Mikey. They are new. They are trying to be good neighbors. Did you have to ask permission to put up cameras on your property?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Good. Hope that helped you. They are caught up in house and happy wanting everything beautiful and sweet for their first kid. Now, they're probably more freaked out by the camera thing than you are of them. I'd conceal the cameras. That looks like a pretty neighborhood where it would be a blessing to have a kid. Visible security kinda mars that. But I'm glad for them that they happened to stop by.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
im not trying be a jerk but there fence is on my property line. Its ok. They were nice to me and my daughter today. He and her were ok. Just shocking to see moved in and next day faces klol
Sounds to me like they were trying to be good neighbors. Relax and look at it from a different point of view.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Frankly I don't think that they did anything wrong. It they put up a fence on their property line, whose business is it? Should they consult with neighbors if they want to build a deck or paint their house? They have a dog and want a way of keeping it confined. Sounds like great neighbors to me.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Those sons of BITCHES!!!! I cannot BELIEVE they would have the gall to put up a fence on their property without consulting you first. Do you have a bulldozer? You should get one.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Sounds like you are predisposed to be defensive. Me, too. I've learned to relax and see how things pan out. Glad it seems to be turning out better than you expected.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.