Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about storing the NIDO milk in mylar with oxygen absorbers how long do you think it would last in a room about 70 degrees year round? THANKS!

·
Registered
10,070 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freeze it! YES! Indefinitely! I like it! Just want to have enough around for an emergency but don't want to rotate it. Freezing is perfect. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering about storing the NIDO milk in mylar with oxygen absorbers how long do you think it would last in a room about 70 degrees year round? THANKS!
Having done a bunch of Google searches on this question I find that some people have consumed NIDO milk that was over 2 years past the Use By date and it was still fresh. Keep in mind that this is made in Mexico and Mexico is HOT and refrigeration is often a luxury, and canned goods always go bad faster in hot weather. NIDO milk is fine regardless of the storage date as long as it hasn't changed color - darkened - or smells funny, as in rancid. Even if it is rancid, how rancid? A lot? A little? I still drink store milk even after it starts to give off that sour smell, as long as the taste is only just a little off. It won't hurt me. From what I've read, rancid milk fats are the least harmful kind.
I store NIDO as a Survival Food. Most of what I have is already expired re: Use-By date, my storage is temperature controlled at 65 degrees summertime and much cooler in winter and if it's good when the time comes that I need it, happy day. If it isn't, I have many other forms of calcium and vitamins stored. Bottom line here is that if you're putting food away as a survivalist, pack a big variety, don't just depend on one thing to do the job.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes I know but thanks anyway. I wondered how long it would last in mylar with oxygen absorbers?

I don't know if Nido is similar to skim milk powder by Carnation. I'm still eating that's dated 2017 - hardly any difference in taste (I don't know about nutrients though).
IT was simply bagged in freezer bag, with a piece of towel paper to prevent moisture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts