Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not yet started prepping but it's sad to say that I think smokes will be high on the priority list and for that I am ashamed.
But it's not all bad, if I have a good pile of them they are sure to be a huge investment when it comes to having to barter for goods/services. But at the same time I know it's also a risk if people know I have them they will do a lot to obtain them by any means.

If anyone here is also a smoker/dipper let me know what you smoke and what you will do in SHTF for the short/long term.

I am a nicotine addict have been ever since I started working in the Texas oilfields 3 years ago, I started with the hard stuff (Marlboro Red) half a pack a day or so but now it's two packs a day and sometime 3 if it's a hard day in the field. I never thought I would ever be a smoker while I was younger but im kind of the black sheep of the family but not by much. I have tried to quit on occasion but never have been able to, And I think the only time that I truly could is if the SHTF.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Make your own smokes. Tobacco is inexpensive compared to a carton of cigs. The "Top O Matic" machine is about forty bucks. Filter tubes are about four bucks(?) a box/200. All in all filling your own tubes costs about fourteen dollars a carton - at least here in Minnesota. Beats eighty bucks a carton. We always have at least a months supply for each of us on hand.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I admit that for you nicotine addicts tobacco will be a good barter item.

But keep in mind barter is about 6 steps down the SHTF level of priorities. Until you get steps 1-6 done, don't buy nicotine as a prep

1. You need water, and a way to filter it.

2. You need food for 6 months.

3. You need shelter

4. You need security to protect 1-3

5. You need help, that is people that will help you accomplish 1-4

6. You need a return of some sort of law and order before it will be safe to barter your cigs for a candy bar.

If you are new to prepping get water, food, shelter, bullets first. And yes you will get over your addiction.

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
RYO is the key. But the tobacco in 5lb bags which is the most for the money. As stated, filtered tubes are about $4 per box of 200. There are a host of various machines including electric. I use a Powermatic II as its easy on the arthritis in my hands.

Also, its perfectly legal to grow your own tobacco which I have done for three years noe on a small scale doing about 60 plants per year. Best smoking tobacco is a blend. Growing is just part of it. After to dry & cure after that.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
The best thing you can do is quit smoking while thing are normal for you. No need in having that monkey on your back.

Still, there is no reason not to be prepared to feed other people's monkeys for a fee.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
That's a tough one. I am a former smoker (about 2 months) and quit due to a heart attack. The smoking had nothing to do with it, but it was a great opportunity to quit. I loved smoking. Still crave it every day. Marb Reds were my choice as well, though I never smoked more than a pack a day, so I'm not sure how you're still standing. If we ever find ourselves in a SHTF situation that last's long term, YOU WILL QUIT. How long before that happens is another question.

I have quit several times in my life, even shortly before my heart attack. I've been an on again off again smoker for the last three years. I found it easiest to quit when I was somewhere that I couldn't smoke, like Boot Camp. Other than that, I just have to keep myself occupied. I agree that tobacco will be a great barter item. But as a smoker, it's kind of like being a drug dealer that uses their own product. It doesn't really work.

If you are as addicted to nicotine as you say, I would worry about stock piling for yourself. I don't know how expensive it is in Texas, but here, we get the crap nailed out of us in "Sin Tax". A pack of smokes (Marbs) on the Indian Reservation runs $7.50, off the rez, upwards of $9.00 a pack if not a little more. Roll your owns aren't that much cheaper, unless you're using pipe tobacco (taxed less) and cut it up yourself. Certainly not enough of a difference for me to take the time.

Also, if you smoke as much as you say, you need to slow down junior. I'm not going to preach to you because if we were standing side by side and you fired one up, I'd more than likely bum one off of you. But the rate that you're smoking, you're gonna kill yourself much, much sooner than later and create ALL KINDS of medical issues in the process.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I'm a smoker. I have smoked since I was twelve. I have been blessed with the ability to put them down and forget about them for long periods - over ten years. I smoke when I enjoy it and less when I have more important things to do. I am getting to the point where I will quit again because I am down to about half a pack a day (I don't smoke when it is not enjoyable). I have had no problems associated with smoking and if I am like my mother I never will. She was the same way - she could put them down and not go through the "withdrawal" at all. I don't believe I can be addicted to anything. I was on methadone for three years and stopped taking it on my own (it was recommended as treatment for "long term pain management" by several doctors) It is not a good way to manage pain! It is a great way to sit on the couch and drool and never be connected to life. Not my way of dealing with things. Anyway when I told my doctor that I was no longer taking the methadone she told me that I wasn't an "addictive personality" - whatever that means. I feel I have an advantage in that I don't go through withdrawals when I quit smoking but its more than that because at 63 one would think that the "ravages of smoking" would have shown up in some little way by now if it was going to. Anyway, stocking up on the vices of others can put you in a very good position if you manage it properly - but not if you are using at the same time.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Non smokers can really be irritating sometimes.
oh those anti smoking neo Nazis make Hitler look like a saint... (smoker here to)

i have been thinking about buying a pipe, and start smoking that at home...

but to stockpiles of smoking products... pass, I would use remaining card/cash resources on getting smokes from the local corner store's, but it won't last...

I want to learn to grow my own (legal for personal use, but good luck finding a bag of seeds) and hopefully do a blend (I like a local roll your own called stockmans, it's a light/dark blend)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I smoked from age 15 thru 30 is it fun to quit you betcha! Anybody wonder how addictive smoking is? No not the tired old more than Heroin. I never tried Heroin so I wouldn't know. However I do study history. In the Concentration Camps all the inmates were starving they were given food but nowhere near enough. They were also given a small tobacco ration. Almost all smokers were trading their food for tobacco. It was hazardous to their health.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
As mentioned, having a few pipes for reserve is wise. I buy The Good Stuff full flavor. I grow silk leaf & kelley burley.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I just show former smokers my carry and snarl at them.
I'll simply flash back and laugh. I'll laugh louder than your snarl because me lungs are in better shape. If I see you are overdue for a smoke and start to draw, I'll run before you break leather. Why? I already said it; my lungs are in better shape! :lol:

Sheesh. You smokers are so testy! :D

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
it's one of the few choices we can truly make as adults, and even that is getting taken away from us....

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
it's one of the few choices we can truly make as adults, and even that is getting taken away from us....
You can make many choices. This has nothing to do with whether or not your local or state government is restricting where you can smoke. When the S hits the fan, it'll have nothing to do with it. The monkey on your back will start biting when you'll need to be concentrating on other problems. On the other hand, having smokes on hand for those who need it will give you a barter item. I see it as a win-win.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I'll simply flash back and laugh. I'll laugh louder than your snarl because me lungs are in better shape. If I see you are overdue for a smoke and start to draw, I'll run before you break leather. Why? I already said it; my lungs are in better shape! :lol:

If and when that happens, I figure it will be cold turkey for me. God help the bad guys that piss me off then.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If and when that happens, I figure it will be cold turkey for me. God help the bad guys that piss me off then.
same here, no risk of jail time...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts