Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm retired and have started prepping over a year ago. I live in New Mexico, as friends told me its a good place to retire to. I currently live in a small town which is okay and looking to learn more about prepping from those who are wiser. I am looking into precious metals as one day I expect paper money to become toilet paper, I do have 96 rolls of toilet paper stored in a 50 gallon tote bin and may get 96 more. :) My grandparents survived the depression but I believe what is coming will be far worse.

Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
Howdy and welcome!
After the run on TP we saw during COVID, a decent substitute might still be valuable in a SHTF world. May want to hang on to some of those greenbacks. 馃ぃ

Super Moderator
Welcome to the group from southern AZ. I'm also retired and parents lived thru the depression. Grew up to the lifestyle without understanding and eventually forgot my upbringing until Katrina.

Registered
Welcome - we are at Tularosa. Have completely rotated food 5 times since 2,000 and not really wasted nearly as much as I thought we would. I can recall about 3 cases of different cans nobody got to in time. The secret of that is give away what you can't use before it just wastes and goes.

I have always been Church furniture, but since there is only one of us here and considering the border situation, going to teach ****** kung fu and just put the medicine and foods in there, mission style.

I am hoping people need more recreation and physical activity that makes em healthier and feel better. So far they seem mostly interested in the weapons.
(Looking for a forge too that might want to make some or let me. I don't have a setup right now)

Best wishes getting set up well and you really might consider going to a food pantry once or twice? They have an overload of beans & rice and the way prices are, anybody could justify getting a box or two for their own pantry. We just made burritos out of all pantry food (except lettuce) and they were great.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcomes everyone.
The seniors do get commodities from the local food bank and I keep what I use and share with others what I do not.
All my canned foods have the month and year written on the top. I recently went through a tote bin of packaged chicken breast meat and they have Oct 11, 2022 and they will go to the food pantry bin to be shared in the community.
I have #10 cans of dehydrated items and freeze dried items, as well as regular canned items. A small camping cooker fired with a sterno can, an oil lamp and some flash lights.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Registered
I'm retired and have started prepping over a year ago. I live in New Mexico, as friends told me its a good place to retire to. I currently live in a small town which is okay and looking to learn more about prepping from those who are wiser. I am looking into precious metals as one day I expect paper money to become toilet paper, I do have 96 rolls of toilet paper stored in a 50 gallon tote bin and may get 96 more. :) My grandparents survived the depression but I believe what is coming will be far worse.
Hearty welcome from DFW Texas. Glad you showed up. Tell us about the Trike? At the ripe old age of 72 and real early baby boomer born to near change of life age parents..my parents and grandparents all survived the Great Depression and the Big War. We dont throw anything away. lol. My Daddy had Army Uniforms with holes which he said was caused by getting shot but it looked like moths.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the welcome.
I retired from motorcycle repair (Goldwings) and trike conversions business. I sold off a Goldwing trike a GL1500 I did own when I got out of the business and today I own an adult pedal tricycle. Where I live in New Mexico shopping is close by and thus I do not need a car, there is a van provided to the seniors from the senior center that operates daily that I'll take into town. I'm 66 going to be 67 in December. The only time I toss something is when I cannot fix it. Living in a small town with no computer repair shop, bicycle repair shop or any other business that repairs small items you are on your own to fix it yourself.
:)

Registered
Trike Lady, Welcome to New Mexico. I live near San Antonio NM. Last weekend I was at a ham radio event in Almagordo and someone was talking to me about electronics/radio repair. Think they said there was someone in Roswell that did good work. There is a good amateur radio club in your area. The Mega-link repeater links the entire state at your fingertips. Take Care, Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts