Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
While I am not new to prepping I am brand new to this forum. In the past I have kept my decision and actions to prepare for me and my family a well guarded secret. In fact most of our family has no clue that we have 245 gals of fresh drinking water stored in our shop much rather the other stocks of foods, arms and ammunition we have worked so diligently to gather and store. For some reason being prepared has now become popular and getting tons of publicity all over local and national television. I know in my heart that we would be better off to gather our forces with others in our area that are likeminded and able to maintain and stand their ground in the event that SHTF but I cannot seem to make myself ally with others. I wonder what the majority of the members of this forum feel about this issue. I know the old adage that there is strength in numbers but find it hard to allow myself to trust anyone else but wife. I stand ready to hear the input of forum members on this subject.
C5GUY

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum. An excellent question, which I myself am stuck with on forming a decision.

When watching other preppers converse with groups, it is a scary situation. I was watching Doomsday Preppers and saw that some people had groups and my first thought was "I would never do that" and the main reason I thought that was because I would feel that it would put a hamper on my family if they came in with "their" family and friends that were not invited, or they overrun you even though after years of prepping together, they turn on you. I guess I watch too many movies though. I'm reading a very good book right now "The Prepper's Handbook by Zion Prepper" and it discusses the same question you are asking. Since I have read that part, I have been thinking of teaming with skilled minded preppers. Just thinking right now, so this is also a question for me as well.

My present solution right now is to get my family involved as much as I can. I have a large family and I'm sure that there are some skills that at least some of them know. For Christmas, instead of the regular new gadget or trinket, I got everyone backpacks and put some "starter" supplies in them (A bug out bag will run a high bill for a big family). I handed them out as soon as they walked through the door. Weird looks on their faces, but for some, I told them in advance what they were getting. Some of them were smirking, which I don't consider them family anyway (LOL), and some were really going over the bug out bag in detail asking questions. A few days after that, I was talking to them and they were saying they put extra clothes in the bags, bought one or two more items and I had two family members since Christmas tell me that it came in handy already. I told everyone that next year will be gas masks for everyone (with a serious look). If you start "recruiting" from within the family, then I think this would be a better approach. Or, for those that don't have family, then I would start with very close friends and move outwards that way. Thats how I have been handling this situation so far.

Again, great question and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. We have 4 grown kids that all live close to us and also my brother and his family. All of these family members know we prep and I completely agree with you in the idea of involving family members first. At least 2 of my boys and also my brother maintain firearms and are capable in using them with no hesitation as far as protecting their families but think that we are paranoid and wasting out time, money and resources doing what we do. I also know that if SHTF happend then the first place they would head would be to our house since we plan to bug in. I welcome the extra manpower but do not and can not maintain the food, water and supplies to support them and their families. Honestly with the exception of my brother none of the kids can bring any thing to the plate that would help in this case since their talents are all in tech, sales or management. I'm not sure that they wouldn't even get hurt on one of my a knifes. It is a sad but true fact and one that I wish was different.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi and welcome. I am really torn about reaching out to others, however, lately I have been more prone to getting into a group than not. I am currently looking for others in my area that are prepping. I may regret it later, but at least want to explore the notion a little more.

·
Registered
693 Posts
glad you found us! Hope we can help you out with anything you need!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi and welcome :) , I'm not gonna try and group up, I live in a heavily populated built up area, the least people know of my storage, the better for me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankfully we do not live in or really near a large city and most of the people that live close to me are big time anti-gun nuts. Makes me feel some safer since we will be bugging in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ChickenLittle said:
Welcome to the website. I'm buggin in as well.
Great!! Be ready to stand and protect what is yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts