Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the help. To clarify what I was saying about a couple topics.

Guns - I am looking to purchase weapons for a SHTF situation. What I meant was that while I don't usually need weapons where I live and I wasn't raised in a gun culture (thus I have not purchased any yet), I am looking to have weapons ready in the instance I need them. I don't find that my son's ultralight t-ball bat is a qualified standoff weapon. :) That's why I've been educating myself, trying to find the right sequence in which to buy. The one that I suggested (for comment) was this order of purchase: (1) Mossberg 500 (then stock buckshot + slugs), (2) 22 AR7 survival rifle (then stock 22LR), (3) 22 LR pistol, (4) then consider AR-15. It's a matter of where to invest first. Like I said, I'm new to this, so where I am now does not reflect my opinion of where I should be.

30 days of food - As with the guns, I'm trying to set goals that I can afford and grow into, building food, defense, water, etc. in sync up to appropriate levels. I want to think it through and have no weakspots up to certain duration. As with the guns, 30 days is where I want to start, not where I want to finish.

Food bank - I checked with the local food bank. They give a receipt for the items, but they don't provide a valuation. You gotta keep your receipts from time of purchase. Fair enough. It is the date you donate that is the date you receive the tax credit. I would donate prior to letting the items expire.

Taxes - A Boss Dog points out, this only works if you have a LOT of deductions. I do. I'm a small (small (really - small)) business owner. Me and two employees. Last year I ran at a loss - lots and lots of deductions. This year, I'll accept a very small income on very large amount of revenue, since I'm paying my hardworking and irreplaceable employees their full due before I ever cut a check for myself. I'm living off savings and investments, which was the plan when I started the business. I have so many deductions due to the current state of my revenue that I qualify for just about any additional deduction.

(Without waxing philosophical - which I'm happy to do if people are interested - it was my aggressive financial preparation that enabled me to open my own business; seeing the value in disciplined financial preparation is what led me to think about being disciplined about prepping for disaster situations. The same thinking that any good financial planner will apply to finance is exactly what preppers are doing for their own personal survival. The parallels are fascinating to me, given that the worlds of high finance and prepping don't really have open lines of communications.)

To Watchman - Yeah, my group of friends might not react well to my (fake!) pseudonym... That's why I use a false name here and access this forum via web anonymizing techniques. Don't want this forum to show up on my work web filter. Even though I own the (small!) company. :)

·
Administrator
14,702 Posts
Welcome.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts