Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new AR 15 today. An Armalite with a 16" barrel and mid length quad rail hand guards. My older AR is an RRA with carbine length hand guards. I'm curious, what do you all prefer in regards to the rifles having either carbine, mid or rifle length hand guards? I heard somewhere before the longer the gas tube, the better the function and fewer the problems. Any truth to that or is it rubbish? I think I'm really digging the mid quad rail over my carbine length on my Rock River.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats on the new toy!:D I am no ar expert by any means, I only have one and its carbine length quadrail. I'm happy with it. I'm sure I'd be happy with the mid length as well. So I guess I really don't have a preference. -Mike

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Got a new AR 15 today. An Armalite with a 16" barrel and mid length quad rail hand guards. My older AR is an RRA with carbine length hand guards. I'm curious, what do you all prefer in regards to the rifles having either carbine, mid or rifle length hand guards? I heard somewhere before the longer the gas tube, the better the function and fewer the problems. Any truth to that or is it rubbish? I think I'm really digging the mid quad rail over my carbine length on my Rock River.
In regards to the longer gas tube it is a fact. The problem with the military M4 is that with a short gas tube the bolt is released before the chamber pressure is reduced to an I deal level.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I did prefer midlength for DI best compromise of system reliability and length, but using only piston AR's now makes it a moot point. DI's a lousy way to run a rifle in my opinion compared to piston, so I simply don't use it anymore.

If you want to change over,

Adams Arms

1 - 4 of 4 Posts