Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I haven't had the time to mess around on forums in a few years but I seem to have a little more free time these days so I thought I would create a profile so I can participate in some of the discussions.
I guess a little bit about me:
I am former military (Medic and PSYOP).
I've been backpacking and camping since I was about 10.
I was introduced to the prepping world about 9 months before the Y2K bug was supposed to hit. My dad started stocking up some essentials and explained to me what to expect if there was terrible social unrest. His expectations were mostly based on the civil unrest following the Rodney King beating, because he was a low income white college kid in a large city when it happened.
Because of my dad's experiences and my grandparents experience with the great depression, I grew up in a family that had/has a good appreciation for preparedness. Most of the family isn't as into it as I am, but none of them think I'm crazy for being prepared. I mostly get the "Yeah, I should probably start stocking up stuff like that too." when the topic comes up. I've been prepping for about 10 years now, with varying degrees of interest depending on how busy my life was. As far as I know my first cache is still in place on (under) the edge of some property that a friend's family has long since sold.
I try to keep a fairly even head about most things and the majority of my preparedness centers on being ready for day to day stuff with just enough long term stuff to give me an edge if something ever goes terribly wrong. That being said I do tend to find day-to-day excuses to buy/build things that would have long term benefits in a disaster. For example: my excuse for getting backyard chickens was so we could have fresh eggs daily, but obviously they would be useful in a long term survival situation.
Hopefully I can provide some good info on medical, tactical, DIY repairs/builds, things canine related, and some good gear suggestions/reviews.
I'm equally hopeful that I can learn more about communications (I'm really considering getting into HAM radios), vehicle stuff (I'm also trying to decide on a diesel vehicle for camping/hunting.), and better long term food solutions.

Anyways, it's nice meeting you all! Feel free to PM me with any questions or suggestions you guys have. I'll try to get some gear suggestions/reviews posted some time soon.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Central Florida.

·
Super Moderator
9,514 Posts
Welcome to the group from Arizona.
Land of Sun, Surf, and Sand.
Ok, I lied, no surf, but enough sand
to fill all the dang sand bags I’ll ever need!

Dang we got a lot of medics in here. Me too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm reception everyone! I certainly don't plan on being a stranger, and I hope I have a lot to contribute. I'm kinda struggling with learning a new laptop and new forum at the same time, so it might be a challenge but I'll get some good informational stuff up as soon as possible!

·
Administrator
15,718 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Virginia!

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Thanks for the warm reception everyone! I certainly don't plan on being a stranger, and I hope I have a lot to contribute. I'm kinda struggling with learning a new laptop and new forum at the same time, so it might be a challenge but I'll get some good informational stuff up as soon as possible!
Welcome from Alabama.

Good luck with the laptop. I have found patience is required as they do not survive drop checks or any other attempts at blunt force coercion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.