Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I'm new to this site and already like what I see. I've read some posts and have learned a few new things. I'm relatively new to prepping. I've been storing water for a year now, but have been stocking up on supplies, tools, etc for about 4 months. I have enough to survive just me and my 23 y.o. son for about a month. I hope we're not alone, though. I'm hoping for the best but expecting much less than the best.
We'd like to find a group to join in South Central Minnesota. I'm hesitant, as I'm leary of meeting strangers. I would prefere bugging in, but live in a mobile home. Too flimsy to defend. I'm looking for land I can afford and will build w/ rock. I have two horses and a cart if bugging out is necessary. I'm good with animals, dog training and am a health care worker.
I'm learning to garden, can, smoke, etc. I'm reading voraciously, to learn about goats, chickens and meat rabbits. I'm also learning about herbs and holistic medicine. \
I read everything I can get my hands on, to learn about prepping. I've got lots of supplies. Just not a lot of food, as storage is at a premium. I'm working on that. I currently have a 12 gauge, a 22 rifle, and am working on buying a hand gun. Any thoughts? My eyes and ears are wide open.
I'm looking forward to learning from all of you. I'm glad I found this site.
Oh, thanks to all of you vets out there. I enjoy my freedoms very much, and believe me, I don't take them for granted. I realize it's thanks to all of you. Many thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. Nothing like getting to know how you can stay alive in the face of this countries worse disasters or even worse a total collapse or whatever you are preparing for. You are prepping and that's a good thing unlike most of the sheeple out there. Don't try to save them them they will only bring you down and get you killed.... Lol just kidding. But really try to get them prepping as well unless you are in a liberal area and then just let them wait on the Govt.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, coyy2k1. I have a few books on prepping. The egg-head way to go, but it was helpful to me. I've been looking for prepping sites that are easy to maneuver, and friendly. This is the first site so far, that is friendly and easy to use. As you say, at least I've started. I try talk to co-workers about being ready for a tornado. They don't seem ovely concerned, although a whole town was wiped out in '88 not far from here, with lots of damage around here too. I don't understand, but will keep on keeping on. I like your "Be prepared" motto. I've always been a "Just in case" packer.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Texas. Glad to have you here with us. Sounds like you have a rock solid start. Just keep it up, Rome wasnt built in a day. About the guns, good start there too. There are lots a great handguns out there to choose from ands there is sure to be one that suits you to a T. Some I really like are 1911's, Ruger GP-100 & 101 and any of the singkle actions from Ruger are all rock solid as are many other choices. Again look at your needs and carefully consider them and then purchase what you think is best for you irregardless of others opinions although thye might give you some good insight. What works for me might not work so great for you! Hope to see you around and see you often!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Hello Longrider and welcome to the site. Looks like you are on the right track. I get a lot of good info from YouTube, of course, understand you can't believe everything you see on there on anywhere on the internet for that matter. I watch the things I am interested in, then decide for myself it it makes sense, I suggest you do the same.
Again, welcome to this site.
-dave-

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
My wife and I have a small farm/homestead with chickens, horses, and dogs (the original homeland security personnel). We have one rabbit for fertilizer production. We were going to get a couple of goats for milk and cheese, but decided that was too much work.
May I suggest a couple of web sites to help your learning curve? There are several sites regarding chickens, but the best I have found is the Chicken Forum Chicken Forum - Chicken Enthusiast Forums Friendly, helpful people.
Do you subscribe to Backwoods Home Magazine? If not, you should check them out. We are 20+ year subscribers. You can go to their website and read SOME articles (but not all) and they have an excellent forum as well - on their main page you will see a menu on the left side, scroll down to FORUM/CHAT and click "enter forum." Everything is covered from raising vegetables to keeping livestock to just about anything else you can think of. self-reliance | homesteading | canning | backwoods | magazine

Good luck. And welcome to self reliant living.
Just tell 'em Rice Paddy Daddy sent ya!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I read a few of the posts on guns and such last night (4 hours on here!) It's all so interesting and informative. I love that people post their opinions and advice and others are so considerate and open about them. LunaticFringeInc - thanks for the advice. I am leaning toward a revolver as my hands can't handle the slide-cock on an automatic. And, of course, John Wayne, Ben Johnson and Dirty Harry had big, bad revolvers, ha ha. Rice Paddy Daddy, thanks for the links. I do like Backwoods Home. I also get Grit, Mother Earth News and Backwoodsmen. As I said, I do a lot of reading and try to retain as much as possible, save good articles and re-read them.
I have horses and dogs. My friend has cattle - steers only. I was thinking of meat goats. Not a big herd, but a few. And they are also pack animals, in case of a bug out. I have to wait for my own land, but am learning all I can in the mean time.
Have any of you guys burried stores? I read somewhere that you can put canned goods, etc in galvinized garbage cans in-ground to keep. Any thoughts?
Thanks again, All, for the warm welcome. Oh, and Moonshinedave I love your avatar!

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Ahhh, The Backwoodsman Magazine. I've been a subscriber since the early 1990's. Anyone interested in old-time ways needs to read this magazine. Modern day glossy type "preppers" probably wouldn't get much out of it, but those that are serious about things would.
I'm glad you like it!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the first three Foxfire books of that series. I think they're mostly stories, but they do give some information, which I'm always open for. Have you heard of them? I think they were printed in the early '80's. It's cool to hear the stories, also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.