Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Like to first say that I would consider myself to be a bit of a prepper, but mostly I would say I am a outdoorsman/hunter. Currently though I am mostly occupied with school. That being said, I am doing a research paper on survivalists and preppers for an undergrad anthropology course and any input you can give me will be greatly appreciated
I have a short questionnaire with some general and more specific questions that I am curious about.

1. Do you store food and other supplies that will help you and/or your family survive a
catastrophic event/situation?

2. How long would your basic supplies last should you have to use them?

3a. Do you have a plan in place for either shelter or escape should some catastrophic event
occur? (If Yes, continue to 3b if No then continue to 4)

3b. Does this plan involve staying at your home, escaping to another location, or both?

4. What catastrophic event do you see most likely to happen that you see the need to be
prepared for?

5. What are some other events that you see to be feasible?

6. What would you consider yourself to be (ie prepper,survivalist, realist...)?

7. If you could have only ten things to last you through an apocalyptic scenario, what would they
be?
8. What is the main reason/motivation you feel compelled to prepare for a catastrophic
situation/event?

9. Why do you think that there are so many TV shows, movies, books, about apocalyptic type
events?

10. Do you think that popular media is perpetuating the idea of an apocalypse type event, or do you think that something else is at work that makes these types of movies and TV shows popular? Why do you think this?

Thank You

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Welcome to the forum! No brain capacity left this time of night for answering questions that require thinking, but good luck on your paper!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope every post wont require this much effort on my part...but Ill play your game.

1. Do you store food and other supplies that will help you and/or your family survive a
catastrophic event/situation?
Why of course what self respecting prepper (or Southener for that matter) wouldn't? Will you open the door to my storage area and find a 1000 rolls of TP, no. I place a lot more emphasis on sustainability vs hiding in a bunker with all my supplies and not coming out till I run out. I keep a good bit of food around but I also garden and do a little bit of urban farming with an eye to being able to quickly ramp up production if needed. Gardening takes time. There is more to it than just tossing a few seeds in the ground and expecting to eat from it in just a couple of short weeks. Since I don't have a harry potter magic wand it will take the chickens, rabbits and such more than a couple of weeks to produce some off spring and bolster the homesteads population. So yeah I have quiet a bit of food to compliment to what I can scrounge up to get me buy until then.

2. How long would your basic supplies last should you have to use them?
The winters here are pretty dang short and the growing season long. That being said I keep about a 6 month supply of most things and staples such as rice, sugar etc...I have a year or twos worth. I am continually adding to the larder, its just not a huge priority at this point in time. But I do need to have enough to make it through winter and enough to last long enough to get the garden going full speed ahead and start getting some production out of it.

3a. Do you have a plan in place for either shelter or escape should some catastrophic event
occur? (If Yes, continue to 3b if No then continue to 4)
Oh yeah. First I am retired and a full time RVer that can be on the move in about 30 minutes and headed off to greener pastures if need be. Yes I have a BOL location I have been working on for about 6 years. Its not as expansive as I would like, but I am surrounded by about 2000 acres or more of property owned by the government that's inside a 100 year flood plain (its pretty much lake front property with limited access) that will not ever be built on. I do have a sizable chunk though to keep me as busy as any human has time to tend to in a day! I have spent the last 6 years building a structure on it for shelter, prepping a large garden area as well as an area to quickly expand into if needed. I have planted about 30 fruit and nut trees spread out over the years. I have accumulated enough materials to build fences for animals, increase the size of the chicken coop, rabbit hutches and I am working on accumulating enough materials that would allow me to build another 12x16 structure that's earth bermed if more living space is needed. Its not perfect and not as much as I want but I think its plenty enough to work for me until I die of old age should I be that lucky.

3b. Does this plan involve staying at your home, escaping to another location, or both?
Both. Unless things were really bad or looked to be long term we will stay put as long as doing so is prudent. Once that's no longer the case, I plan to get "Martin Baker Seat Qualed" and "punch outta here"! Its all situational.

4. What catastrophic event do you see most likely to happen that you see the need to be
prepared for?
Tornados are the most common problem in my area followed by extreme winter storms (extreme for this area anyways) where power loss is pretty common for several days potentially. Economic Depression or Collapse would be the most likely next hurdle.
5. What are some other events that you see to be feasible?

6. What would you consider yourself to be (ie prepper,survivalist, realist...)?
I would consider myself a survivalist as opposed to a prepper. Instead of hording enough to last me a life time because I do not have the financial resources or the space is unrealistic for me. Consumables are just that consumables and when they are gone, they are gone and your in a rock and a hard place. Not sure what you mean by realist. Im not sure one can be fully prepared to handle everything that life can throw at you and I don't have faith in the government to provide for me or even return society back to what it once was without it taking a decade or more even if I want to be that realistic. As a Survivalist I look at ways to be more sustainable so I can provide more of what I need for myself. No one is gonna take better care of Big # 1 than I am! The more you rely on others the more likely they are to disappoint you or leave you wanting. I am all about minimizing that and putting myself in a position where I am the one with the most influence on how I live or don't live.

7. If you could have only ten things to last you through an apocalyptic scenario, what would they
be?
Answering that one would require a lot more mental masturbation that I have time for in one sitting. It would really be difficult to accurately answer that one. It would most likely involve tools though of some sort or another.

8. What is the main reason/motivation you feel compelled to prepare for a catastrophic
situation/event?
Ultimately I am responsible for me more than anyone else in this world. No one is gonna take better care of Big # 1 than me! Life is hard, why make life harder than it has to be? That being said you have a choice...you can be the hammer or you can be the nail. Don't know about you but I would much rather be the "Hitter" than the "Hittee"!

9. Why do you think that there are so many TV shows, movies, books, about apocalyptic type
events?
For the same reason news papers say..."If it bleeds, it leads".

10. Do you think that popular media is perpetuating the idea of an apocalypse type event, or do you think that something else is at work that makes these types of movies and TV shows popular? Why do you think this?
That's a tough one to answer. Its extremely rare I watch TV. I rarely watch Apoc type movies, and when I do I am usually disappoint as Hollywood is Hollywood and so much of it is unrealistic it doesn't even begin to remotely approach what would be reality.

I trust you will share our findings with us here when your are done with it...it might be pretty interesting to read!

·
Registered
900 Posts
#9 Because they know it sells. the media has always preyed upon people's fears and the fear of death and the fear of suffering are the biggest. we have seen through our history the same tragedy we prep against. Some may just prep against weather related disasters, others financial decline, political unrest, war with other countries and so on. No matter the reason we do this to prevent some of the harm that we know will be the result of the event. Our fear of suffering is the reason the media is so successful at selling apocalypse.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hello and welcome....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota. I don't like to answer what I consider personal questions here. Although I will make an exception and answer #7 - bacon, bacon, bacon, coffee, coffee, coffee, ammo, ammo, ammo and Inor.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota. I don't like to answer what I consider personal questions here. Although I will make an exception and answer #7 - bacon, bacon, bacon, coffee, coffee, coffee, ammo, ammo, ammo and Inor.
Notice how she puts me last on the list. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I like Lunatic's answers. I don't like name calling, Mr. Duke. But I sort of agree with you - sans the name calling. You have to think about what you would do, as well as what others will do. I do understand getting more input, though. I don't care if you are from Homeland Security, other than to say - piss poor job, pal. And that is one reason why I prep. I'd like to be self sufficient, but until I can be, I prep. And no man is an island. We will always have to rely on reliable friends and neighbors. Hopefully, we have some.

I've always been a "just in case" kinda girl. So has my Mom and any farmer you'll meet. Or anyone who plans for the future. I don't want to be specific with answers, due to what happened in the Big Easy in the aftermath of Katrina. I will try to take care of myself. Just don't tread on me or you'll poke the sleeping bear. Good luck with your paper.

Oh, and Inor? I Did notice you were after coffee. Hmm. No further comment...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for everyone who provided me with some input, all was appreciated. The point of this was to get as many opinions as possible on a wide variety of subjects which I did. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If I had listed Inor, Inor, Inor - he would have asked who the other two guys were. If I had listed him first, it would have thrown off the cadence of the reply. Inor knows he is number one (usually that is accompanied with the one fingered salute - but not in this case).

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Welcome from the South East (SC). Research, there is plenty of info right here on this site to write your entire paper, unless you need named "official" sources. Then you'll have to do some legwork.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.