Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will celebrate 20 years of marriage next month. She has wanted, for a very long time, for me to travel with her
to her families European heritage - Ireland. Mind you here father was as much an American as my own he kept to his Irish roots
and we've been planning this trip for about 21 months - setting aside pennies and dollars to make it happen. Airline is booked,
resort property is booked for a week (I bought a time share for $95 on eBay and the dues are $275 so we get a weak at a resort
for $360) and then I donate it too a good cause for anything they can get. Car rental is booked and we've mapped out a night
in Dublin, 7 days at the resort in Killarney, a train ride to Belfast (titanic exhibit) with two nights there, another train ride back
to Dublin and fly home.

Clearly I'll be missing my 9mm which won't be going with me :( Flights are kind of picky about many of my normal carry
items. Self defense seems to be "out the window" though I throw a knife pretty good and am putting one of those in my
checked luggage - hope that will be ok. My baggage will include lots of snack items, a walter filter bottle, some water
purification tabs, sealed beef jerkey, energy bars, etc. Got some first aid, but and will take about 10 one ounce Canadian
silver maple leafs with me in a wallet pouch on my person.

So if obummer stirs up a "SHTF" in Ireland I guess I'm just hosed next month - I'm not going to worry about it. I'll make
it hell for them to kick me out of that time share if we can't get back across that pond.

Any suggestions for you oft world travelers? I haven't been outside the country since working for our govt in an armed
capacity so this is a new one.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Your Passport is usually pretty handy, and since it's Ireland maybe your spare liver.:wink:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I asked around to see if there was any "barter" material I could easily pack - only answer I got was chocolate. If SHTF you think the passport will matter all that much - beyond explaining my obvious accent.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
There is a good possibility that your knife in checked baggage will not arrive with you.
Consider just buying one when you get there, then leave it with a relative when you return.
Who won't appreciate a gift like that?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yeah I asked around to see if there was any "barter" material I could easily pack - only answer I got was chocolate. If SHTF you think the passport will matter all that much - beyond explaining my obvious accent.
It will in an immediate time table for access to consulates...

I'd throw in a couple of Mylar blankets and a small backpack.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
WELL< let me be the first to congratulate you on your 20 years...Thats quite an accomplishment.
Sadly, I have never travelled much, and never outside the states, so I can offer very little advice, except what someone stated earlier about the knife. I would probably UPS a good knife to the destination, Then like stated, give it as a present. There are some great clearance items out there. Are "tactical pens" ok to carry on planes?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I always carry a small SureFire flashlight wherever I travel. It is something like 600 lumens, but looks almost as bright as a flashbulb in a camera in the dark. There is not a cop anywhere in the world that is going to think twice about a flashlight but is a good self-defense thing in a pinch. If you get in a sticky situation with a couple of drunk *****, just flash 'em in the eyes and run out. It won't buy you much time, but a second or two is usually all you need.

I always carry a 3 1/2 inch Swiss Army knife in my checked bag. I have never had a problem getting it through customs. The same thing with a Leatherman. I did once have a Canadian customs guy mention that he saw the Leatherman on the X-Ray, but he was not pissed about it or try to take it away.

Also, make photocopies of the first page of your passports and carry them separate from your actual passports. If you do end up misplacing your passport while there, the U.S. consulate will have a much easier time issuing a temporary if you have the photocopy.

The only other thing I suggest is plastic zip lock bags - several of each size. I am amazed how handy those are when I travel.

Beyond that Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Plastic bags
2. Photo copy of passport front page
3. Good flash light
4. Mylar blankets

Well the "toss" knife is really a throw away so if it gets snagged in the bag so be it. I could send myself a package but I don't know anyone there well enough to hold it.

Ok I'm learning and adding some things to the bag....thanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Lots of good ideas, also don't forget:

Cash - both euros an dollars
Good shoes and good wool socks
I always bring a few extra shoe laces (or paracord)

As Inor stated - a leatherman can usually make it through checked luggage - i've only lost one of those in dozens (hundreds?) of checkings and I'm pretty sure it was because someone wanted a free leatherman and not because of any rule violation. Or a nice cheap S&W folder from chinamart that you can put in there does the trick for a few days/weeks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I always look at when traveling somewhere and forced to leave behind the self defense items where I can get a pepper spray and a pocket knife as soon as I land. There not a 9mm, but better than a nothing.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Wish I could help but can't. I haven't been out of country since Moses was a road guard. Best of luck and have a great, and safe time, for you and your wife.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This is one of my babies which I bought online, it was billed as "Commando Knife" and set me back £17 (28 US dollars). I carry it everywhere tucked into a pocket, it's razor-sharp and is ideal for opening near-impregnable food packets, drinks cartons and stuff when I sit lunching on the seafront.
The law about carrying a knife in Britain has got some grey areas , the cops might respectfully question you about why you're carrying one but if you don't look like a gang member and politely explain you need it for opening food and drink or camping or whatever, they probably won't feel your collar-

PS-here's a link to the UK's knife laws, the UK includes England/Scotland/Wales and Northern Ireland, but the Republic of Ireland might have its own rules if you plan to go there-
https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife

·
Registered
18 Posts
When traveling without a knife - I always make my first trip the hardware store or the steakhouse. I'll either buy a knife or cutting implement or palm the knife.

improvise brother - and congrats on 20!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I always carry a small SureFire flashlight wherever I travel. It is something like 600 lumens, but looks almost as bright as a flashbulb in a camera in the dark. There is not a cop anywhere in the world that is going to think twice about a flashlight but is a good self-defense thing in a pinch. If you get in a sticky situation with a couple of drunk *****, just flash 'em in the eyes and run out..
Good thinking mate, here are my two, the small one on the right is constant-carry for navigating down a pitch-black stairwell if there's a fire in a dept store or office block when the lights go out, and it'd also help get me out of a train wreck in a pitch black tunnel, or a burning airliner, or capsized ship etc.
The one on the left is made of metal and weighs a ton, it uses 4 batteries and has a focussable wide-to-narrow beam that i swear could illuminate zeppelins, but sadly it's too big and heavy to carry everywhere so I keep it at home to investigate suspicious noises at night, but I'd have to be careful in case somebody got dazzled and accidentally ran into it and cracked their skull-

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guess I'll just pick up a knife there. My wife is certain I'll love it there and she can plan on our return. If that's the case I can wrap up a knife, flashlight, some para cord and put em in a whole in some place close to the time share for a future trip.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Years and years ago, I kind of dropped out of everything, loaded up a backpack and hitchhiked around the world. One thing I always had with me was a paper map showing the locations of the nearest U.S. Embassy to wherever I was headed. I never needed it, but felt better having that information. Get a medical check-up and dental as well before you leave and have a great time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts