Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

New Prepper

877 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  warrior4 
#1 ·
Hello,
I've just recently started getting into prepping. Right now I'm just trying to get together a 72 hour shelter in place type of prep. Right now it's just me in my apartment but my finance will be moving in once we get married. I've started stockpiling extra water and I know I have enough food to last for a few days if I'm careful. I'm an Eagle Scout so making fire is not a problem. I'm also a Paramedic so first aid is my specialty. As money is tight right now due to the upcoming wedding and bills what would be some other inexpensive preps I might want to consider? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

#2 ·
Congratulations...getting started is important. I suggest you look around this forum for awhile, there are plenty of great articles that will be a big help to you. Being an Eagle Scout, you know the essentials of survival. Regarding where to start, I recommend starting with a plan. Make your lists of what you have, and what you need. Also, start thinking about where you would go if you had to stay somewhere else, for whatever reason. As you look around this forum, you will pick up on the prepping terminology, like bug-in, bug-out, bug-out-bag, shtf, and eotwawki. Good luck, and have fun!

#3 ·
Get your sustainable water plan up and running. I would start with a good filter and, if needed, some bleach that you can use to purify the water. I say "if needed" because some filters (like the Berky black filters) will remove most harmful pathogens as they filter so you technically wouldn't have to add chlorine.

If you do add chlorine, I would add it before you filter, let it work for 30 minutes or so, then filter it. I see a lot of people adding the chlorine after filtering, which I just don't understand.

#4 ·
Welcome from Missouri.

In order of importance(just my opinion mind you)
1. Defense- if you can't defend it, then it's not really yours. You may also be in a fight for your life.
2. Shelter- In the middle of winter you could freeze to death in minutes.
3. Water- both short term and renewable.
4. Food- no explanation needed.

Take a look around the board and you'll find more info than you could possibly absorb. Work at it little by little and you'll get there. Good Luck and keep us posted.

#5 ·
I started my water stocks with the 2 liter pop/soda bottles I had gotten done using. I had started with milk jugs but I read that it can be hard to wash those out when you're done to ensure bacteria isn't in there. I also have some pre-bottled water and plan on getting more when I do my regular grocery shopping. I've been buying a little extra of canned goods for a while so that stock is slowly rising. I've had a first aid kit for a long time but more medical supplies are always handy. As far as the training to use them appropriately, I've had that for the past three years and as I said before, I'm a paramedic. First aid is what I do. Security is a weak spot right now. I may not know karate, but I know crazy pretty damn good and after having to deal with some of the crazies at work I can see that a short burst of crazy can be effective. Other security measures will be an area to improve for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.