Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to prepping and I want to know what the difference is between BOB vs GHB vs Go bags in both equipment and gear and just the bags them selfs. Also in which scenario do you carry each bag and do you Carr a seperate bag for EDC or is that also the role of the go bag.

Thanks would have to see pics any help would be great

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Well I am big into bugging out. I have a place to go so that is always important to me. My GHB is what I keep in my car and travel with. It's focus is to get me home so I can bug out from there. My carry weapon is a 9mm so I hold two extra loaded mags in it and a box of Win STHPs (don't tell SF). I carry a water filter and tablets for treatment, some energy bars, nuts, a little first aid, and some pre 64 coins. It's aim is to suffice 2-3 days because most of the time I don't travel much further than that from the house.

Once home I intend to bug out by vehicle.i have practiced loading it up. Since I changed vehicles a month ago I practiced the new truck load and am delighted with how much I can load up in 90 minutes and hit the road. If for some reason I can't use a vehicle then I bike to a horse ranch, and procure a couple horses for a ride out. For that I have a more extensive BOB, but ultimately I don't see that bag being on my back but on the seat beside me in the PU.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok well BOB and Go Bag are the same thing and for those I use full on tactical rigs because if I need to GTFO then I will kill anyone who gets in my way.

A get home bag should be something that looks inconspicuous to the sheep people and yet have all the equipment and supplies you need to get home from any point of your day to day life.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have both. Here is the main difference. My BOB is for the unlikely event that I need to leave my house for whatever reason. I have about 5 days worth of food in it, tent, fishing tackle, etc.

I keep my GHB at work. I work in downtown DC, but live about 30 miles south in VA. If for whatever reason something happens in DC, this bag is for getting me back to my house. In the event something happens all transportation is going to be screwed. We had an ice storm 2 years ago and it took me 9 hours to drive 30 miles. I could have walked it in that time.

So the GHB has a lot of the same thing as the BOB , but no tent, etc. Mostly just to get me home as fast as possible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My GHB is what I have in my jeep all the time take it on small day trips that kinda stuf my BOB or INCH bag ( I'm Never Coming Home bag) I use with my LBE that's for when SHTF and I'm gone in to the bush starting my hike to my BOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually just posted this in another thread hahaha but I thought id share it again anyways. I've been looking for an 'upgrade' in my bag that I use, and after looking at some of the maxpedition bags that go for $100+ it just seemed like too much for what I wanted. I found this bag which seems like a steal for $40

Academy - Magellan Outdoors™ Pinejack Hiking Backpack

I havent gone into Academy to see it but im making a trip up there tomorrow

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made my BOB with under 80$. And just remember when purchasing the actual bag, be aware of your surroundings. Most likely in a SHTF situation you will be on foot if you live in an urban area. And walking through an urban area after a disaster with a military surplus bag is like painting a target on your back. And also just remember when getting stuff for your BOB, get what you NEED, not what you want. It's about survival.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
My wife and I each have a small 30 liter "day pack" in each of our trucks. When we put them together, we defined them as "12 hour packs", but I expect in a jam we could at least double that. Mostly they are filled with first aid supplies as we figured the most likely need for them would come from a car accident - either ours or more likely stopping to help somebody else. In addition to bandages, tape, Benedryl, Quick Clot etc., I keep a package of water treatment tablets, about a dozen coffee filters, some plastic zip lock bags, 4 energy bars, a package of freeze dried food (enough for one meal for 4 people), an aluminum mess kit, a steel cup, two of those stupid space blankets (I figure to use those more for a quick shelter than a blanket), three pairs of socks, some 550 and 750 paracord (about 20 yards of each), a flint and steel with a couple fire starters, a hunting knife, a pocket knife and a Leatherman.

In addition, I usually have a Beretta 92 (with some spare magazines) in the center counsel of my truck. Mrs. Inor ALWAYS has her S&W revolver and at least one filled speed loader in her purse.

·
Registered
93 Posts
First YOU need to determine what top 3 or so events you would incounter where you live. Then prep accordingly. There are no right & wrong answers. You may want one bag then covers every thing. Or you may want a small one in the family truckster and have a 72 hour bag at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts