Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
New here. Actually pretty new to prepping as well. Been putting together my BOB for about 4 months and I'm pretty much done with it. Stocking up for a bug in too but still got a long way to go there.
I apologize in advance if some of my questions are beat to death. I don't have a home computer or internet so everything is on my phone. It can be tough to search on a phone.
Anyways...I live on IL/WI border just outside of a town of about 1500. I am roughly 60 miles from Chicago and Milwaukee though. In most scenarios...I feel that I can bug in for awhile. But once those 2 big cities start to spread.....I'm not sure....at some point I may have to hit the road.
I was looking into purchasing a small lot of land in north WI. And when I say small....I also mean cheap. I am close to being strapped as is.
I found a 3 acre lot that is very secluded.
Couple things that I would like your opinion on though.
1. Its 300 miles from me. I've heard that your BOL needs to be within (or at least) a gas tank away. This is exactly that.
2. There is no road access or utilities. I'm not sure how far the road is but I feel hiking to it might be a good thing....more seclusion. Utilities.....if it gets that bad....they won't matter anyways right?
3. There is no cabin or anything. This is just a 3 acre lot of secluded woods.
4. There are lakes and waterways nearby for fishing.

Thoughts?

Now I realize going and living in the middle of the woods while subsisting by fishing and hunting small game is not ideal. I realize that it would be extremely difficult. Thats why I'd like to point out that this would be kind of a last resort.

Please share your opinions....thnx!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Three acres is better than nothing but it is not enough land to offer room to be self sufficient. Take the time to get your finances in order and find a larger plot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh...I also should have mentioned that I live on 8 acres now.
What worries me is the somewhat close proximity to the large cities.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Northern Wisconsin is not too friendly in the winter. If you do it you will need a permanent shelter put up. I'm just a city slicker but that's my thought.

·
Registered
353 Posts
No sugar coating... without a substantial building (Weather tight and defensible) three remote acres has very little value as a BOL. Nothing establishes your sustainable presence there. SHTF, ownership papers aren’t going to keep people off your land or out of your resources. What you can’t secure, you will not truly possess.

The main concept of a BOL is that it offers security via stored resources, a defensible and sustainable domicile, geographic insulation from the general populous and minimizes your exposure to the many changing and longer term hazards of a SHTF scenario… otherwise, you would arrive there and shortly have to move on. The fewer the acres, the greater the developed infrastructure the BOL must have in order to provide survival necessities. Regrettably, land itself offers very little and may end up only containing headstones.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Check out this book

$50 and Up Underground House Book - Underground Housing and Shelter

It shows you how you can build a underground house for $50, probably it is a lot more with the price hikes in everything but still it should be reasonable.

300 miles, I would consider a decent mountain bike, you could make the trip in 2-3 nights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
welcome kllrbee, within 25 miles of Chicago myself. At least you are working on a plan which is better than most people. I agree with scramble4a5, it would be rough in the winter without a permanent structure up there. I'm heading south for 500 miles.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I don't think you can ever go wrong buying cheap land. My dad started doing that in the 1970's and my brother and I now share several thousand acres and it's also now my primary legal residence. The title / deed or even a long term lease enables you to make improvements, what Montana Noted is a great start. Sand Bags can make a hell of a shelter and you can store them on site without filling and using them until needed plus they are cheap. A good tent for starters is fine so long as you know it has a limited time life when used. Owning a piece of land should make it reasonable for you to bury things you won't have to carry in a bug out situation.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Why Wisconsin? it is one of the most ****ed up states with the most anti-gun laws on the books not to mention it's full of communists and liberals. The unions are coming to a head there and if this country is going into second revolution it will start with the unions in Wisconsin. Not to mention you're right between the worst cities in the country, Chicago and Milwaukee. Why not try and get to free America?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thnx for the replies.
Yeah winter would be very tough.
I didn't even really think about going south. I thought of WI cuz I'm right on the border....less than a mile....and it would just be a straight shot north to the property....no major cities to go thru...etc.
Meangreen....IL has the most restictive gun laws..not WI. Believe me...I know.....I live here. I'm a railroader and chicago is one of the largest rr hubs in the country....so that's why I'm here...work. I am a union man by the way. Plus I dont give a rats ass about gun laws....who's gonna follow those laws in a shtf anyways?
What's free america?....Montana?...Kind of a long way to go for a BOL....

I appreciate all the advice. I will continue the search upping the location to 500 miles including going south and west.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a awesome link I just found for supplies. Offering 20% off with promotion code: yearzerosurvival.com
Good luck. Check out their Nuclear Fallout maps if your wondering about what FEMA says about your location.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I keep an extra 45 gallons of diesel stored to take in the truck when/if I have to head to my BOL (517 miles). I have alternate routes and detours. If SHTF, some major roads may be blocked, side streets near hospitals may be over crowded and will most likely have more police, major bridges (across the Mississippi, etc.) may be blocked. They may not be the most direct routes to my BOL, but they will be the safest possible to get there. BOBs are set up with almost everything needed if we have to abandon the truck. Grab n Go if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts