Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
Hello blackthorn. Welcome to PF. Why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Living in SoCal until I can find a way out. I enjoy the geographical features but not so much for the rest.
I retired a couple of years ago. I don't miss the grind and my days are my own.
I kayak when I can, which is not much lately with the low water levels. I'm in the high desert so and the ocean isn't all the near. Hoping to learn to fly fish soon. My mentor on that subject is no longer among us.
I enjoy archery, and other shooting. I walk 4 or 5 miles early mornings before sunrise and enjoy that bit of astronomy.
I feed the local ravens after sunrise. I'm a long term student of history and a middling chess player.
I also see that even though I thought I was posting my hello in New Member Introductions, I failed to make it go there.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
Howdy and welcome, from Texas.
Glad to have you!

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Living in SoCal until I can find a way out. I enjoy the geographical features but not so much for the rest.
I retired a couple of years ago. I don't miss the grind and my days are my own.
I kayak when I can, which is not much lately with the low water levels. I'm in the high desert so and the ocean isn't all the near. Hoping to learn to fly fish soon. My mentor on that subject is no longer among us.
I enjoy archery, and other shooting. I walk 4 or 5 miles early mornings before sunrise and enjoy that bit of astronomy.
I feed the local ravens after sunrise. I'm a long term student of history and a middling chess player.
I also see that even though I thought I was posting my hello in New Member Introductions, I failed to make it go there.
Tell us more about this Raven Feeding Hobby?

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
It looks like it is where it belongs now.

·
Administrator
15,266 Posts
Welcome from Florida.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,746 Posts
Welcome, welcome!! I was told crows leave little gifts to people who feed them. Bright shiny things or whatever catches their eye, like a raccoon. Is it true of ravens, too?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome!
Left Commiefornia (San Bernardino) in '92 after leaving the service.
Kinda miss going from the mountains to the beach within a couple hours.
Don't miss the higher prices, traffic, or over abundance of humanity tho.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Welcome, welcome!! I was told crows leave little gifts to people who feed them. Bright shiny things or whatever catches their eye, like a raccoon. Is it true of ravens, too?
Annie, I'm offended at your use of the word (insert trigger word referencing a lazy nocturnal thief). Please check your white privilege.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not so far. They follow me home sometimes but have yet to give me anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome!
Left Commiefornia (San Bernardino) in '92 after leaving the service.
Kinda miss going from the mountains to the beach within a couple hours.
Don't miss the higher prices, traffic, or over abundance of humanity tho.
Right there with you. Love the mountains but hate the traffic more.
Oh, an thank you for your service. I never did, but I certainly enjoyed my few years working at Edward Air Force Base near here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tell us more about this Raven Feeding Hobby?
I've always thought they're magnificent creatures so years ago I read all I could about them. I discovered they have an immense fondness for roasted peanuts, particularly in the shell, as they like to fiddle with them, getting them open. They're whip smart and, like us and many other creatures, they have a distinct social structure within their groups. I've been feeding this bunch for several years. They see me as the two legged who can change his feathers but can't fly.

Not exactly a prepper topic but it's one of the few things I know about.

·
Administrator
15,266 Posts
I have read that ravens are intelligent enough to know when a farmer is unarmed, and when he is carrying a shotgun.

Reactions: Any Beastie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can attest to that. Some folks around here don't like them. At all. So they raise a fuss and it's taken many months for this bunch to see that I may not necessarily be out to do them harm. But they'd still bolt if I started waving my arms or started to throw a rock. The curious thing is they are said to pass this learning on to their offspring. Kinda like us tell our kids to stay out of the street and watch for cars. I can see that.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.
I used to park at the Patton museum, climb on top of the trailer and marvel at the stars. I never knew there were so many stars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts