Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've carried a CRKT for nearly a decade. Love that knife! Didn't think I'd ever find a good enough replacement. Lol.
I went in to Dick's Sporting Goods, and saw a really huge folder. It has a belt cutter and glass breaker built in to it.
Very heavy (for a 'pocket knife',) and very large, too.
The handle panels feel great, the thumb tabs are large, easy to get to even when wearing winter gloves. The liner lock is easy to manipulate, too.
It has a tanto point, and the usual serrated portion of the blade, too. It's assembled with two different sizes of Torx screws: #10 & #6.
The pivot screw for the blade, and the three smaller screws holding the belt clip all had some type of glue holding them in. Probably something similar to blue Lock-Tite.
I haven't taken the handles off, or completely disassembled it yet.
The only downside is that the belt clip has a little bit of side-to-side play in it. Maybe that's just on my knife only. :)
Overall, I'd give this knife a '9 1/2'. Very pleased with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
That looks like a nice knife, and I'm on the lookout for one. The Boker Magnum I'm carrying has a good blade, but the thumb stud is too small. How much did it set you back?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but that is a great knife. As long as your not going to use it. If you want a good quality S&W folder, then i'd recommend the S&W Extreme OPS.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
They are Chinese but still a great knife. If you want affordable American made quality check out some of the Kershaw and Buck knives.

·
Super Moderator
9,824 Posts
All my EDC folders have been Kershaw and I love them. Holds an edge for a long time and the company is top notch IMO. I had an issue with one where the pocket clip got a little loose. After a quick email they sent out a new clip and screws at no charge. You can also send the knife to them and they'll sharpen it free of charge.

uploadfromtaptalk1429200711462.jpg

·
Registered
524 Posts
I too have a S&W Border Guard knife, serrated tanto to be exact. It's one big bad blade, that's for sure and a pretty good choice for basic cutting tasks.

Originally I bought a Border Guard 2 from Amazon, same as this:

uploadfromtaptalk1429225887109.jpg

Out of the box the blade never seemed to lock up correctly. I should have returned it, but didn't and kept on using it. Finally the lock failed altogether so I figured I'd try out the "warranty" that it came with.

With a little research I found out they are made by Taylor Brands, I think they make Schrade and some other brands as well. Typically, you pay $6 for processing and they will evaluate your knife for repair/replacement. The Rep I emailed was nice enough to waive that fee so it only cost me a few bucks to ship it to Tennessee.

About a week later I figured I'd check out what the verdict was, so I called up Taylor and another nice lady there told me it was already shipped days ago and to check today's mail.

Lo and behold, a Border Guard 4 was waiting in my mail box, about 6 or 7 days after I shipped my damaged blade.

uploadfromtaptalk1429226416276.jpg

Much better this time around. Solid lock up, smooth deployment and has held up nicely for the past 2 or 3 years. Alas, it more or less serves to compliment my S&W firearms, I hardly use it and figure I have enough beater blades to use.

It's a very large, heavy folder so I rarely carry it but every so often I'll give it a work out and clean it up with some CLP. My son loves it so I figure I'll keep it clean and pass it to him when he's older.

I was really impressed with the customer service and wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Sure, it's not going to impress any pretentious blade snobs but for the price it's a great knife, whether you keep in the car, a bug out bag etc. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
All my EDC folders have been Kershaw and I love them. Holds an edge for a long time and the company is top notch IMO. I had an issue with one where the pocket clip got a little loose. After a quick email they sent out a new clip and screws at no charge. You can also send the knife to them and they'll sharpen it free of charge.

View attachment 10702
That's my daily carry right there, love it.
Don't have one of those glass breaking, belt cutting rescue knives, but been thinking about it. Daughter has one, she's starting to get carried away with this prepping stuff.

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
643 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't EDC a tatical folder. I was raised with the belief of caring a quality pocket knife but not a single blade. I have always carried a stockman or traper. I just replaced my Queen stockman EDC for 11 years with a Moore Maker trapper. Am I missing somthing by not having a lock open pocket knife?

·
Super Moderator
9,824 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't EDC a tatical folder. I was raised with the belief of caring a quality pocket knife but not a single blade. I have always carried a stockman or traper. I just replaced my Queen stockman EDC for 11 years with a Moore Maker trapper. Am I missing somthing by not having a lock open pocket knife?
Really it's just personal preference. It all depends on what your using it for.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Way too expensive for what you could get much cheaper. Check out TacForce. Same knife priced at like $10-15.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts