Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.

I guess I've been into "prepping" (didn't know it was called that until a year or so ago) for a little over 5 years now. In that time I've relocated from an urban part of the country and into the mountains of Appalachia, where I've been learning to grow and preserve food, raise livestock, work on my marksmanship, and various other things in the survival/DIY/self-reliance vein.

The main reason I got started on this track was because of concerns about energy and the economy. Those haven't quite panned out as I'd feared, which is fine: buys me more time to learn stuff. I guess at this point I'm more of a believer in a "slow crash" form of SHTF -- a gradual disintegration of economic activity, security, resource availability, a disregard for civil liberties, and so on, as the 1% and their rent-a-senator cronies basically try to cannibalize what's left of America's prosperity.

If a big industrial society is basically a giant machine, though, then you have to ask -- how much of it can break before the thing stops running altogether? If it were a car, well, you might see some of your lights go out, or some rust show up on the body, but it would look pretty "gradual", because you'd still be in working order at the end of the day. But if you keep letting the thing fall apart, well, sooner or later you're going to lose your alternator or timing belt, and you wake up one day to realize you're not going anywhere without a fix... in other words, it's not an either/or: a slow crash can lead to a SHTF scenario, it's just hard to say when and how.

Welp, that's enough from me for now, nice to be here.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Hello from Minnesota

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Welcome Burkecj. It certainly has to be a slow crash if something doesn't happen to make it a fast one the way things are going.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Welcome to the show.........glad to have you. From the SouthEast corner of "the four corners"..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome from Nevada. Yep! A lot of us here can relate to "didn't know it was called that until a year or so ago", but have been doing it in one shape, fashion or the other. Just recently started going beyond the "extra can goods and supplies to more longer term food storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts