Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to forums and new to prepping. This election cycle has really made me concerned for our future so I have started prepping for it. I am a city boy with a country attitude. That is to say, I enjoy the simple life but am forced to spend my life chasing money in the south west. I come from a mid west family but have no experience hunting fishing or farming.So I started simple. I have dry food stores, beans, rice and salt. a seed vault. Some water filtration that is cleanable, good for 100,000 gallons. some canned food. fire starters. tools, I am a plumber. two 4x4 trucks. several guns, one or two of each type, and 1000 or so rounds. I live in an area that is not conducive to long term survival so I am looking at a bug out plan or to relocate. Currently looking for advice on a pressure cooker. I like the all american line but they are pricey. any advice on something cheaper to get started with?

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Welcome!!

I'm partial to Mirromatic pressure canners/cookers. Mine are all old USA made, now now made in Brazil, thanks to the Bushes and Clintons. Yes they have a gasket, but other parts are the same/interchangable like gigglers, vents, and blowout vents, some gaskets. Get several and bigger is better. If You have more than one you can be starting the next batch while one is cooling, it is a time consuming process. Better yet 3, load one, can the other, and let one cool.

Small ones are great cookers, and will purge biologicals some toxins, and any questionable ingredients if SHTF. That is 90 min at 10 psi.

Stock up on jars/lids/rings. Don't let used jars sit without cleaning.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,359 Posts
Welcome to the rodeo.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have been researching pressure canners too, also want to get the 23 qt Presto. The All American is considered the Cadillac of canners but they only can, not cook, which is a drawback. On the other hand the Prestos aren't supposed to be used over an open fire.

The price is better on the Presto plus I want one that can pressure cook meat and not just can. If you decide you want to dehydrate meat in the future you will want to be able to pressure cook it beforehand.

If you are price conscious check out ebay. They have the prestos for about 70 bucks including shipping and no sales tax. I have to pay sales tax on amazon because they have an outlet in my state. The price on those prestos have gone up in just the last week and may keep rising. They also have good deals on dehydrators.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Never have gotten into canning yet, but been dehydrating and vacuum sealing for years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Never have gotten into canning yet, but been dehydrating and vacuum sealing for years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Canning meat is pretty neat. Youtube raw pack method and hot pack. You can easily can chicken strips, whole chicken breasts, whole pork chops, etc... You can even pack the meat in RAW and let the pressure canner sterilize the jar and cook the meat for you in one easy step.

I always thought canning was a complicated multistep process, but once I learned how easy it is do in a pressure canner it seems like the obvious solution for meat storage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts