Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new guy here and wanted to get some of your inputs.

Not just new to the forms, but new to prepping in general. Just bought a few bags of rice and beans and waiting for my vacuum sealer to come in so I can start working on my mylar bag game.

I live in a somewhat urban area, and started thinking that I need something that will get me the f out of Dodge, if needed...So I went out and got this badass Ford e-250 cargo van that I plan on rigging up properly (perhaps'm doing things out of order, but hey at least I'm getting started.)

So I want to get a solar generator that I can throw in my van and go. I obviously plan on hooking solar up to the roof but I don't want to start on that until I have a solar generator in my hands.

Does anyone have any insight on the new Inergy Flex? That's the one I'm looking at, but there is a 3-month wait for it. I like them because you can stack batteries and basically accumulate massive amounts of power.

Wouldn't mind getting a goal zero but the smallest one they have is like 300 bucks and all it seems like it's good for is powering up a few lights in a cell phone.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

My solar will go away when the grid fails. It's tied to the grid. I have no where to put storage batteries and I can't afford the Tesla wall mounted batteries so I'm toast.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I hope it isn't against the rules to post this but there is a van dweller forum called CheapRVLiving. Bob Wells is the owner and has a YT channel. Many on there have solar for their vans, trailers, etc and there is really good info on there about solar and vans.

Congrats on your van!

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
I hope it isn't against the rules to post this but there is a van dweller forum called CheapRVLiving.
Posting good information is allowed. What we don't allow is pure self promotion without following the advertising rules. We have people here who have their own channel. They are also participating in many discussions and what they post is relevant. So we tend to frown on those who's only purpose here is self promotion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Solar generator in a van is a good idea but don't limit yourself to just the van/solar generator idea. If SHTF then fuel may be a problem. If you are stuck in a cold area then heat is a concern, if hot area then cooling is your problem. A good BOL should also be in your plans. Ability to feed yourself for long periods of time is your number one concern along with protection. Others will want what you have, rob you blind and leave your corpse in their wake. The van is a good idea for keeping yourself out of the weather but make sure you don't depend only on it. Do plenty of research on items that catch your eye and decide on the item that best suite your needs. Only you can know what works best for you and your needs but people here can also be a good source of knowledge and helpful information that you can use to make an informed decision.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solar generator in a van is a good idea but don't limit yourself to just the van/solar generator idea. If SHTF then fuel may be a problem. If you are stuck in a cold area then heat is a concern, if hot area then cooling is your problem. A good BOL should also be in your plans. Ability to feed yourself for long periods of time is your number one concern along with protection. Others will want what you have, rob you blind and leave your corpse in their wake. The van is a good idea for keeping yourself out of the weather but make sure you don't depend only on it. Do plenty of research on items that catch your eye and decide on the item that best suite your needs. Only you can know what works best for you and your needs but people here can also be a good source of knowledge and helpful information that you can use to make an informed decision.

Welcome to the group.
Thanks for the generous feedback. Slowly building up my game. Relatively new but I'm fortunate enough to have the resources that allows me to make pretty good strides.

My food prep game is pretty squared away up to this point to include about 50 mylar bags sealed up with consumables. Ammo and weapons are also part of my game... But as a new guy, I'm quickly realizing that this is a never-ending venture lol.

Thanks for all the feedback - sometimes I feel like I'm on an island in the real world because most people are walking around clueless - that's why it definitely feels good to come here and associate with like-minded friends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts