Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm a 27 year old man. I have a wife and three young daughters. I've worked with animals most of my life. Mostly dogs. I'm good with plants. I'm a fairly well informed man of well above average intelligence. I'm a bit of an outdoors-man and have been interested in living a self sufficient lifestyle for most of my life. Only since we started our family have I become interested in politics. I am the type of man who, once interested in a subject, learns as much as possible about it. My wife and I now know enough to be quite worried. We are in planning right now to purchase a very large amount of land very cheaply. We have also been working on a very detailed plan to make us as self sufficient as possible with the least amount of money possible. With our current situation we are a several years off and if you take into account the dangerous geopolitical climate, this can't happen too soon. What we are hoping to get by using prepperlog.com is any and all wisdom this community has to share. Our secondary goal is to find like-minded people who might be interested in joining our family in our goal. If you think you might be interested we'd love to talk to you. We plan to purchase 100-200 acres and have the know-how to do so much cheaper than you would think. I'll be looking around on the boards in case someone has already expressed a similar interest but please feel to reply even if you're just curious. Excited to be here! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Hello there! Welcome to the forum. I'm 1-2 years to be offgrid and being self sufficient myself, but at the same time being able to use modern luxeries as well (hot water, electric, septic, heat). All by doing one thing at a time that if the plug was cut short, then I can convert easily to my backups. Slowly moving in that direction, but its a life goal for me. I'm still trying to get over the fact that "I need" to form more relationships with other preppers, but for right now its my family that I'm trying to get on board first. Most of them have seen the need here recently with all the preaching I've done to them. Nagging them everytime I see them (I don't think this is the right route though), but slowly they are listening because I see them coming in with extra cans of food or water and have it stacked up, as well as their jokes left and right when I first started prepping. They will get there, and I think there is a huge interest right now in different areas of the prepping scene.

Again, welcome to the forum, we are glad you and your family are here.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi mountain man and welcome. I am along way from being off the grid, but working on it everyday. Very happy to have you here and looking forward to learning and sharing!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would love to know your secret as to acquiring large amounts of land for little cost. I've been on the hunt for acreages around here in Iowa near where I am currently at and it's just hard to find on a single income, any advice would be more then welcomed!

and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arkansas!! This is a great place to learn and to share. We look forward to learning from you as much as you do from us.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for the greetings. I'm excited about learning and sharing some info. too. I'm a jack of many trades. I've done a lot of manual labor in my life. I'm a bit of an outdoors-man. I also managed a bank for a couple of years and did a lot of loans so here's the first and most important trick to buying cheap land. When you're looking to purchase remember that you need to be willing to relocate. As preppers most of us are looking for a high altitude secluded off grid lifestyle. It's important to keep in mind the natural resources that you'll need (not just wildlife, water and woods). If you're going to want the luxuries, as I do with a wife and daughters, you'll need electric. That means water, wind and light. If you're going to live in a place that gets cold in the winter or plan to grow food in the winter, you'll need a way to heat your home and greenhouses. That means methane or underground natural gas unless you wanna' hang a big smoke banner that says we're over here.You'll also want to be away from the mass populations of people we have in this country. Big cities will be hit hard in any political, economical, or natural disaster.
So if your necessities are anything like mine here are our requirements:
Lots of land
Water, wind, game animals, rich soil
Altitude
Secluded

There are a lot of places that meet that criteria. To find all of that cheap we need to look for a few more things:
Longstanding economic distress (obviously lowers purchase prices)
Abundance of quality hunting, fishing, recreational land (supply and demand)
History of failed farms and ranches (leaves the possibility of standing structures and pre-cleared farming land)

This narrows our search greatly, but still, we have plenty of choices. I personally have chosen Ohio. I've been there quite a bit. We lived there for a few years and when you get into the country it goes on forever. I'm from a small NC town and even I was amazed at the vast wilderness. The highs and lows of the terrain give good cover as do the trees. The land is generally fertile and while the winters are cold my family has learned how to continue to grow our usual favorites in the winter there and even a large outdoor space where we can stay toasty warm while the ground around us is still covered in snow. Not only have we found dozens and dozens of failed farms and ranches but many of these have natural gas. With the proper know-how we'll easily be able to provide heat for livestock, crops and our family in the coldest months. I've found countless sales with 100+ acres for around $100,000.00, many with solid standing structures. Even if this is out of your price range I urge you to come together with family or other preppers. It is possible to survive on your own but no one man or woman can preform every task.

P.S. something I haven't seen a lot of is people amassing knowledge. I've begun saving web pages to my computer. First aid, state maps, medical dictionaries, maps with statistics on area populations and businesses in case supplies are needed. schematics for building devices that may come in handy, car manuals, machinery manuals. just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts