Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Although I'm not so sure its as "technologically advanced" as they claim. I mean, don't grandfather clocks basically work the same way?
Yes, the Grandfather clocks work in a similar way. One of the things I like about this is that they have taken the concept and upgraded with today's technology AND they are making the whole thing OPEN SOURCE so that anyone can use it. Now that's being unselfish.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It sound like a good ideal, I am a little worried about the gear box to run the generator, it would have to have such a high ratio that the gears would probably be very fragile.

·
Registered
285 Posts
With good quality materials and workmanship it could be a great little gadget.

My grandma had something similar back in the '40s and '50s for a tiny water pump. I can picture it in my mind hanging in their summer kitchen. Grandma would attach the little chain and weight to the pump and allow it to run for a long time until a basin bowl was filled in her sink. When the weight reached the bottom of it's travel I could reach it and get into trouble. I was too young to remember any more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's a great idea.
A mix of old and new technology.
This size won't generate much power,
but LED's don't require much,
and the plastics parts may not last for years....
but it is a welcomed and affordable tool.

Reactions: GTGallop

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I saw that yesterday and was intrigued.
Definitely going to watch for this little gem - but I'll probably wait for Gen II before I buy one.

You know if they sell it in the US it will need a USB plug on it.
Some jack wagon will probably add a bunch of stuff like a can opener and a cork screw and tiny little useless compass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts