Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am new to the prepping family. i need some advice on what I need to do, to get started. Where should I begin my prepping ? I have guns and ammo so I think im set in the aspect, but I am also on a budget so what do I start with?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have to prep on a pretty tight budget. Usually, I'll give myself $5 a week at the grocery store. It's not much, but I can get some canned goods, bottled water, basic toiletries, etc. It's just small stuff, but it does add up. Of course I save and put aside for larger purchases, but I can usually do $5 a week.

·
Administrator
15,092 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
I once spent a year in your state, at the lovely gated community of Fort Carson.:mrgreen:

My wife and I are on a tight budget, always have been. When it comes to grocery shopping, try to limit your selections to what's on sale. Most grocery chains have a "house brand" that is just as good as the name brand food. If green beans are on sale, like maybe 2 cans for a dollar, buy 12 cans. Ragu spagetti sauce buy one/get one? Buy 6 jars. We eat spagetti several times a week, it's cheap.
We also buy rice - put the bag/bags in the freezer for a couple days before storing to kill any weevils that may be in there. Do the same with flour if you keep multiple bags of it to bake bread. There is a Vietnamese grocery near where I work, we buy Thailand and Vietnamese rice by the 50 pound bag. Like soy sauce on your rice dishes? Oriental groceries sell it in 1/2 gallon and one gallon jugs. Much cheaper in the long run than buying individual bottles.
We also buy Chef Boyardee canned products when on sale to store away. Canned tuna. Canned beans.
Most grocery items are on a sales cycle, usually 8 weeks. So if you miss a chance to stock up on canned peas, that sale will come back around again.

There is no reason you should not be able to easily put away a years supply of food.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota.

I would start with water, food, and shelter. - In that order.
Welcome from Mississippi. I agree with Inor, good place to start. Also if you have the time, go back over old post. They will be very helpful.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe spend some time in the mountains to find a bug out location even if its on national forest property. Just Incase you have to leave and get out if the city.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I would suggest you start by time. What would you need to get through a 72 hour power outage? How about 2 week disruption of all services?
Then add to it step by step until you are ready for anything for any duration.

As pointed out, the basic needs are water, food, shelter, and security... in that order. Aim for redundancy in critical systems. For example, have more than one source of water, etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: Inor

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've seen some of Colorado, not always the prep heaven that outsiders think when they think of running into mountain meadows. Half the state is high desert including the mountains. Knowing that, I would think that sustainability would be a major concern. CAN you get water if there is no power? CAN you grow a food crop with or without irrigation? How are winters in your area? Is there a supply of wood close enough to haul it without equipment and if not then what provides heat?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This is a pic I lashed up to show what I call "The Basic Five" essentials of a small stockpile, it should serve as a useful buffer for whatever disaster zaps us and will enable us to ride it out for around a couple of weeks without having to go out of the house.
"It's a dangerous business going out your door"- Bilbo Baggins

Hopefully by then the Authorities will have started getting food relief convoys coming into the cities and got the power and water working again.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Welcome, and the biggest step has slready been taken, you have decidee to be "more prepared" that is whats critical.
Glad to have another prepper on board, and knowledge is the key. Having a ferro rod fire starter doesnt gaurantee you will have fire. Practice, recycle, think outside the normal, and keep your guns clean and ammo safe..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
This is a pic I lashed up to show what I call "The Basic Five" essentials of a small stockpile, it should serve as a useful buffer for whatever disaster zaps us and will enable us to ride it out for around a couple of weeks without having to go out of the house.
"It's a dangerous business going out your door"- Bilbo Baggins

Hopefully by then the Authorities will have started getting food relief convoys coming into the cities and got the power and water working again.

Haha I love the way the Brits call a flashlight a torch, but I digress

First thing is water, second thing is water, and you guessed it third thing is water.

You didn't mention where you live but unless you have a artisan spring on your property look for a good way to get water as you will die from thirst or dysentery within 3 days without it.

So at least a "life straw" or a Berkey water filter for stay in place operations. The worst case is get 3 gallons of bleach to treat open sources of water for a couple months or some "pool shock" which will keep you in water for a year for about $40

Food is next in which case I suggest "edible plants in the rockies" (the name is close if not exact) so you know what you can forage to eat in your area and what you cannot.

Now backstock food for at least 3 months of survival for all those in your group, you will outlast most people doing this and increase your chances of living if you can stay put and not have to roam around foraging. Not only will you probably get shot in the first 3 months foraging, but you will also most likely get a fatal case of the craps or other nasty diseases that will florish SHTF.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Haha I love the way the Brits call a flashlight a torch, but I digress
First thing is water, second thing is water, and you guessed it third thing is water...
If a torch is good enough for the Bard it's good enough for me..;)
"O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright"- Romeo & Juliet, Act 1 Scene 1

As for water, yeah, I've got the Atlantic outside my front door and it'd be a pity not to be able to drink it, so a few of these solar stills should keep me alive-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts