Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I am planning on leaving for Montana in a few weeks anyway so it wont really affect me much anyway. But the company I work for was just bought out by Bill Gates. Apparently Gates is dumping BILLIONS into agricultural businesses. I know he bought 10 dairies in California last year which costed over half a billion dollars just for the cattle themselves. Not to mention the land and rest of the operations. He also has planted over 200,000 acres in corn this year throughout the United States. And he just got into the ag market 2 and a half years ago.
Actually, The things he is wanting to do is very scary. Just look it up online. He is wanting to send a ton of it overseas and he is even doing millions of dollars worth of GM seeds. Like 25 million $$ just last year in seeds.
He is wanting to control the US ag market from what he is saying. That means he will control who has it and how much you pay for it!! It's a good thing I am leaving anyway. I don't want to be a part of it!!
Montana, here we come..

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The deal I wanted was the one George Soros got in a couple of african countrys, .50 cents an acre. I just wanted 5000 acres - come on!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Kinda makes one wonder what he's up to...I never saw gates as the agricultural type. Good luck in Montana... east or west? The east is more like the Dakotas and the west more like Idaho...lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Montana isn't a corn state, we grow mostly wheat, sugar beats and barley. If you see corn it is to feed the 3 million cows we have.

Bill Gates is a smart guy, if he is growing food you should probably too.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just read, havent done any research, but a betting man would follow suit, Maybe he has some insider trading, maybe it's not all really for overseas, dont know, will research, but I seriously doubt he's doing it "half cocked", or for humaniterian interests, he may be, but I would guess it all comes down to the mighty dollar, and if the reportedly "richest man on earth" is investing in it, there is probably something to it. I have read he is a great humaniterian, I dont know enough to comment, but if I had any extra ching-ching laying around, i would seriously consider following his lead.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It is really the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that is involved in this, but he is the founder and along with his wife they choose where to focus their efforts and financial resources.

I actually think what he is doing is more for altruistic and philanthropic reasons, versus financial, but he hires very smart people to help him run things, and they are all business on missions.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Is it the foundation or them? Big difference. China has been accumulating African farm land, there was a story about the primary Harvard Trust doing it, and Soro's a year or so ago.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kinda makes one wonder what he's up to...I never saw gates as the agricultural type. Good luck in Montana... east or west? The east is more like the Dakotas and the west more like Idaho...lol
North Central, in the Upper Missouri Breaks area..

It's not the foundation that bought it. It is some other company he ownes. Agri-something. I was told he might also be buying Con-Ag which is the largest agribusiness in the country. They are in everything from fertilizer to farms and ranches. You name it and they are in it. I personally think he is trying to corner the market on ag products. Just imagine what he could do! He could put the small man out of business and name the prices he wants. He could make everything so cheap that the small guy can't afford to stay in business.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
With 73 million acres of corn land in the US I doubt he has any chance of cornering the market. More than likely he will get in on some tax dodge through a current or future farm bill

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
With 73 million acres of corn land in the US I doubt he has any chance of cornering the market. More than likely he will get in on some tax dodge through a current or future farm bill
John Mellencamp gets an Ag exeption by calling his property a tree farm. There are a lot of tax dodges and dodgers out there.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
This is true. There are many elites that use farming operations for tax advantages, but at 10 dairies in CA that's more a real estate play than even a farm land play. I am blessed to have a good many acres of usable farm land. We have surrounding ground I'd like to turn into farm land a little at a time but its hard leveling out mother natutre's melliniums of work. Much of it just can't be. In CA a decent acre of ag land is 12k/20k

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
North Central, in the Upper Missouri Breaks area..

It's not the foundation that bought it. It is some other company he ownes. Agri-something. I was told he might also be buying Con-Ag which is the largest agribusiness in the country. They are in everything from fertilizer to farms and ranches. You name it and they are in it. I personally think he is trying to corner the market on ag products. Just imagine what he could do! He could put the small man out of business and name the prices he wants. He could make everything so cheap that the small guy can't afford to stay in business.
Central Monatana close to the Rockies and the plains...nice

There are five mega Corporations in the food industry. If I understand it correctly, these five coporations control the lions share of global food production. They pretty much put the independent farmer out of business...

Remember the farm crisis of the early 90's. Who do you think had the motivation and clout to engineer a crisis of that magnitude and then buy up all the forclosed family farms. Further more who had the ability to stop it and didn't. The same folks who bailed out the banks and GM...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We went from working 6am till past midnight to 8am to 9pm with an overlapping shift .. So the overtime is gone. Mind you, this is the wholesale produce shipping business. Hours like that just dont work..We are dealing with perishable goods, I guess the product will know not to rot after we close.. Good thing I was leavin anyway. Sad to say but sounds like there is goin to be a mass exodus behind me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts