Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Married with 5 kids from 8 to 2 and a 4 year old son with Autism which effects the way we go about every aspect of our life. I have always been a city boy and I married a country girl. I'm in Central Florida and her heart is in Wisconsin. However, my work is here and she is a stay at home mom so I always won. We decided to find 5 acres near by so we can work together on both of our dreams. I'm still close to the city and she still gets her farm!

I came across the show doomsday preppers and thought it was interesting watching these loony toons and all of their efforts for something that wasn't going to happen. Well, then I decided a couple months later to buy season 2. While I still think a lot of them are over the top, it got me thinking. We then got into the show Revolution which is about not having power. The thoughts started me thinking. Man.....I'm really not prepared if even something minor happens. Which loosing power for a couple of weeks due to a hurricane isn't an if.....it is a when.

I started doing some serious soul searching and began to see the light and that these people maybe were not so crazy after all. They might be on to something. While I don't think we will enter into a "revolution" style event here, there are a lot of possibilities that not only could but in the case of hurricanes will happen here in Florida. Also with the economy never certain, we need to be able to depend on ourselves not on anyone else.

So here I am! My wife has jumped in with both feet and I'm easing in but I am ready to go. We now have 5 acres paid for and starting to build a new life and slowly transition out of our city home into our country dwelling. We have no water, no electric, nothing. We just cleared about an acre and starting from scratch. Got a ton to do and looking forward to this new experience and stage in our lives. This is replacing our retirement savings. We are creating a place for us to be the rest of our lives....God willing. Should be exciting. Can't wait to plug in and learn as much as possible.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. please understand we are not crazy. That shows was made for one purpose to make fun of people that prepare and to make us all look like nuts.
We are not we generally are people that see a possibility for natural disasters or political ones in out future, we have chosen to prepare.
While we may approach it in different ways at least most of us will not be on a roof top with a sign saying save us. Will wil not be the the line waiting for food and water.
We may well be supplying some to others in need.
Welcome happy you are here

Reactions: LunaticFringeInc

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota.

A lot of us think the "Doomsday Prepper" folks are nuts too.

Even though I am guessing your wife is a Packer fan, I think it would be wise to listen to her on this. :-D A lot of the stuff my wife and I have learned doing the prepper thing has greatly improved our lives even if SHTF does not happen. Homemade jams, cheese, sausage, home roasted coffee; it cannot be beat.

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

You will find a lot of good people and good info here as well as some lively discussions. :-D I hope you join in.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Welcome, I've already enjoyed yours and INOR's posts.

Its funny I never watched doomsday preppers. I liked the movie 2012 though.

·
Administrator
15,097 Posts
Welcome from Northeast Florida.
My wife and I have a small farm also, in a rural area. I do not forsee total anarchy in the future, but a partial economic collapse is very likely.
If the welfare or drug pipeline were shut off things could get dicey for our city cousins.
If Obama gets what he wants fossil fuel wise and gasoline gets to be $7 a gallon, and diesel even more, Americans will be in for a rude shock, as our whole economy depends on energy. From production (or importation), to the distribution warehouse, to the store shelf everything moves by truck. Farmers need diesel for their tractors and combines to grow food. Prices of everthing will skyrocket.
You are on the right track, my friend. Get out of the city, grow food, get some chickens for egg production, concentrate on being able to live without electricity if you have to.

Reactions: Inor

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey TMCertified, Welcome. I was like you. I didn't really think of being prepared should a tornadoe come along. In MN, they happen all the time. I live in a mobile home. You can imagine the rest. I too watched American Preppers. It got me thinking, and now I'm more prepared than I ever imagined I could be. I've got a ways to go, but I'm working on it. And yes. Homemade bread, I'm looking forward to homemade jelly this fall and home canned pears. As well as fresh produce from my garden. I can't wait to try canning meat.

I don't feel like I'm a nut, I feel like I'm confident in myself and being able to take care of my little family. I've learned TONS on this web site - the best one I've found, by far. Enjoy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

Never watched the show, but I'm one of the crazies I'm sure. If you decide you need directions for making tinfoil hats let me know.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Cracker.

I felt the same way as you. I was prepared for a hurricane. Which meant We could last for 1-1/2 days before I started crying like a little biatch. Now we're prepping to be self-sufficient for 90 days. It's a start.

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
Hi from the great state of confusion, ILLannoyed.
I think the people on Doomsday preppers are nuts because they are showing what they have. lol
When I first saw Doomsday Preppers advertised, I thought I might learn something, and I suppose I have. Don't show off and don't act crazy!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I came across the show doomsday preppers and thought it was interesting watching these loony toons and all of their efforts for something that wasn't going to happen. Well, then I decided a couple months later to buy season 2. While I still think a lot of them are over the top, it got me thinking. We then got into the show Revolution which is about not having power. The thoughts started me thinking. Man.....I'm really not prepared if even something minor happens. Which loosing power for a couple of weeks due to a hurricane isn't an if.....it is a when.

I started doing some serious soul searching and began to see the light and that these people maybe were not so crazy after all. They might be on to something. While I don't think we will enter into a "revolution" style event here, there are a lot of possibilities that not only could but in the case of hurricanes will happen here in Florida. Also with the economy never certain, we need to be able to depend on ourselves not on anyone else.
I agree and the same reasons brought me here. I have only been on this site a few weeks and there are many informative threads/people. Welcome from Virginia!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi from the great state of confusion, ILLannoyed.

When I first saw Doomsday Preppers advertised, I thought I might learn something, and I suppose I have. Don't show off and don't act crazy!
lol,that about sums up the show.haha

Welcome from Ohio TMCertified.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome from Missouri. A little crazy? Sure. We all have our qwerks. I'd prefer to be thought of as observant. Learn by example and others mistakes. Look and the disasters in our own country. Katrina and Sandy are prime examples. Preparing for a disaster is just a smart move. Better to have and not need.........

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Welcome again from Minnesota. As my mother used to say - we are uniquely maladjusted but fun to be with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I'm slightly overwhelmed by all of the comments. Thanks for the welcome! I have already found this forum to be a great resource and certainly met a few good people all ready. We are starting from the ground up at our new property so this is perfect timing and a perfect opportunity to learn a lot and then be able to share with others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts