Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regret ever selling any gun or box of ammo that I have ever owned.
I wish I had everyone of them back.
My current inventory of guns/ammo is pretty good but dang with this shortage now.
I definitely learned a lot since this whole Covid thing started.
Those guns would be worth a lot of money now.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Some are in higher demand than others. The ak and ar types are insanely inflated. As are hand guns and high capacity magazines. Ammo too. Things like 1898 Krags are still the same over the past 10 years.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If I didn't sell guns over the years I'd have way too many and several thousands of dollars tied up in regrets/mistakes. I'm one of the rare people that you won't hear say "I sure wish I never sold that one."

Moreover, ammo is reselling for WAY more than guns right now. I saw the current climate as the right time to liquidate reserves of both. The guns are selling for a small bump in price relative to a year ago while ammo is ridiculous ... unbelievably ridiculous! The one thing I do regret is not buying an extra 20K rounds of 9mm when it was $200/case a few years back.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Last year I considered selling one of my pistols. I bought it since it was ambi probably 10 years ago but never really liked shooting it. I never got around to selling it. And boy I'm glad of that now.

And @Hemi45 is right. Guns are but a small bump in price compared to ammo and primers.

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I regret ever selling any gun or box of ammo that I have ever owned.
I wish I had everyone of them back.
My current inventory of guns/ammo is pretty good but dang with this shortage now.
I definitely learned a lot since this whole Covid thing started.
Those guns would be worth a lot of money now.
You say "never sell a gun" but then you say they would be worth a lot of money now. In the end, the value of guns and ammo are not monetary.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
The 2 firearms I sold I don't regret. One, a Mossy 12G that I sold back in the 1980's went to a friend in Texas that everytime we talk, we laugh about that old shotgun! The second gun meant nothing to me and its sale got me my first AR platform rifle and 1000 rounds. (I'll not tell what I sold because @rice paddy daddy owns one just like it and will box my ears when we meet if he knows I sold this gun):vs_whistle:

Every round that I ever shot, I enjoyed and don't regret! (Except the time I tried to kill a copperhead at 10 feet with a Savage Scoped rifle chambered in .17 HMR! Shouldn't have tried that! :vs_no_no_no: )

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
I have more then I need if it ever comes to a firefight. I think I'll keep it that way.

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
The 2 firearms I sold I don't regret. One, a Mossy 12G that I sold back in the 1980's went to a friend in Texas that everytime we talk, we laugh about that old shotgun! The second gun meant nothing to me and its sale got me my first AR platform rifle and 1000 rounds. (I'll not tell what I sold because @rice paddy daddy owns one just like it and will box my ears when we meet if he knows I sold this gun):vs_whistle:

Every round that I ever shot, I enjoyed and don't regret! (Except the time I tried to kill a copperhead at 10 feet with a Savage Scoped rifle chambered in .17 HMR! Shouldn't have tried that! :vs_no_no_no: )
RPD assumes a German accent:
"Ve haff vays of making you talk!!"
"Talk, American gangster!!"

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
Going through the divorce from Wife #1 in 1986 I had to liquidate my collection.
Some were: Saginaw M1 Carbine that went ashore at Normandy on D-Day; M1 Garand; after WWI Remington made some sporter versions of their M1917 rifle, it was sweet, even had a comb on the beautiful stock; Ruger New Model 45 Convertible Blackhawk 7.5" (the most acccurate handgun I have ever fired in over 60 years of shooting, that barrel length is not made anymore), Ruger MkI auto, Ruger Single Six.
And even more I have since forgotten.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Never sold a firearm never will. Never sold a part to one never would. Never sold one round of ammo. I have handed firearms to my children ones they grew up with. I have given them firearms as gifts. They will never sell them. Handed two to a granddaughter that shoots she would never part with them. She shoots them often with her dad and mom.
The firearms that came to this home by being passed down and those purchased for reasons or just because we could are special. They have more meaning than dollars, they are a part of us. Not for sale.
I have given a part to someone in need. I in more recent times give need ammo to a couple of people for good reason . But excepted nothing in return.
I have one here that is not mine. I was handed to me for safe keeping by a Vet going off the deep end. It was to go to his son. His son now knows it is here and will soon retire from army soon. He will retrieve it someday. I have had it here 27 years.
many years of discipline , turning down cash offers are about to pay off big time.

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
Now that I'm in my 70's, and can see the end from here, the big questions are who is going to get my best guns?
I fully expect my wife to sell most of my collection, she will need the money.
But there's a few that I'd like to see stay in family hands. I had two daughters, they have three daughters. No sons, no grandsons. This is a problem.
That leaves the stepsons. But, on the positive side, both are cops.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Sell guns all the time. If one doesn't shoot, acts up and doesn't meet my expectations it's gone. Big deal get another one.

Same attitude I had when looking for a wife. Which is how I found my keeper 40 years ago.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't miss selling the Springfield XDs 3" .45 nor my wife's Glock 43...

Enabled me to buy my Springfield EMP 4" 9mm :)
I have no intentions of selling anything else, nor any of my ammo...

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've sold many guns over the years and need to sell my Rock Island 45 now. I've even sold a bit of ammo from time to time. If something isn't being shot at least occasionally it needs to go. I'm a shooter, not a gun collector.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
don't regret bartering away a chunk of my inventory.... waiting for a nice voluntary buy-back to get rid of a few more that are worse than junk...

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I would have no problem selling guns right now. I would keep what I needed, but would sell. Hell I would even give a gun or two away to those I care about that might need them for the greater good.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not a fan of selling guns. I've heard too many stories of people regretting selling a gun. Every gun I own was something that I bought or built because I wanted them with a couple of exceptions being a shotgun and S&W M&P 40 that my father bought me. Neither one of those would ever be parted with for obvious reasons. Sure I could sell a bunch of guns at a huge profit and make a bunch of $. But to be honest although I'm far from rich I'm not hard up either, and would rather have the guns than the $. I only have a couple of "hobbies" that I really enjoy and my guns are my biggest one.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I'm not a fan of selling guns. I've heard too many stories of people regretting selling a gun. Every gun I own was something that I bought or built because I wanted them with a couple of exceptions being a shotgun and S&W M&P 40 that my father bought me. Neither one of those would ever be parted with for obvious reasons. Sure I could sell a bunch of guns at a huge profit and make a bunch of $. But to be honest although I'm far from rich I'm not hard up either, and would rather have the guns than the $. I only have a couple of "hobbies" that I really enjoy and my guns are my biggest one.
Makes sense. Always good to have than to need.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Now that I'm in my 70's, and can see the end from here, the big questions are who is going to get my best guns?
I fully expect my wife to sell most of my collection, she will need the money.
But there's a few that I'd like to see stay in family hands. I had two daughters, they have three daughters. No sons, no grandsons. This is a problem.
That leaves the stepsons. But, on the positive side, both are cops.
I would think getting things appraised now would be a good idea. If the daughters were to get them, the value on many , are worth more in sentiment.. I will never sell my Dads gun he gave me. Never.. More value than a few bills.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I would think getting things appraised now would be a good idea. If the daughters were to get them, the value on many , are worth more in sentiment.. I will never sell my Dads gun he gave me. Never.. More value than a few bills.
An appraisal would mean others know what you have .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts