Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, herd a rumor that Cabelas has SKS's for 299.00 and Mosin Nagant 91/30's for 119.00. Is that a pretty decent price for the typical model out there available?

Dont have any idea exactly which models. Im going to guess a Yugo for the SKS and I will guess that a typical shooter grade round receiver Mosin Nagant. Im going to guess that both are well used but not abused and are not arsenal refinished guns. Wont get to actually see them or find out any more until tomorrow when me and my Nephew goes to the store to check it out.

The nephew has only a Winchester 1400 I gave him. Wanted a AR but waited until the run on guns to get serious about getting a reciever so I could help him build one to his specs. He is still going to get one but will wait until recievers are more available and resonably priced. Hes about 5'6" and about 145 lbs. Typical lanky teen ager looking type a guy. Just starting to kinda of catch the prepping bug thanks to me his uncle.

Me I have a SKS already and love the heck out of it. Its a Unissued Russian Laminate that was bought in 95 for 79.00 fun dollars. Damn I wished I would have bought a crate of them then! I own a couple of AK's of various backgrounds. I own about 30 so odd other guns the last time I counted, so I need another gun like I need a bullet in the head as you can imagine! To name a few I have a FAL, M1A, Garand, 3 AR's, Mauser 98, AK, SKS and bolt actions for the 308, 30-06 and 223.

*However I have a butt load of 7.62x39. I have 3 guns that fire it. I really wanted to get a CZ-527 but cant find one to save my life. The biggest reason for wanting a 527 is so that if my semi's are out lawed and like a good citizen of a "free nation" I turn them in to be melted down, Im now stuck with a lot of ammo and nothing to shoot it in. So I am pondering the thought of the Mosin Nagant on the off chance I could pull the bullets on my 7.62x39 and salvage the powder and bullets and reload some Lapua Brass and stay in the shooting business if you know what I mean. On the other hand I have always wished I would have picked up a few SKS's when the getting was good. You know what they say about hind sight...If I only knew then what I know now!

*It would also be nice to have a couple of hand out guns for folks who show up with something to offer but not much in the way of preps, especially fire arms/ammo. I have been thinking both the SKS, and Nagant would meet that criteria. I have a ton of 'x39 on hand and the sealed tins of 'x54R can still be had for about 70 bucks a 440 round bulk pack of surplus, so I think both are viable options from a ammo stand point.

*I also would kind of like something to use for a truck gun besides a old Topper 88 12 gauge H&R. Just not a high priority need for me at the moment, but one of those back burner things I have been meaning to get to for years.

So...Which one would you get if either and more importantly why?

Would you hold off and get a more accurate 308 or 30-06 or something along that line such as say a Ruger American?

I would appreciate any and all feed back and opinions!!!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
IMO the SKS is a better weapon. Price is higher than it use ti be but evry thing is
As for holding off a 308 is a far better weapon but may cost you

The SKS is a good shorter range all around shooter. The 7.62X39 will do for hunting and defense. The round are avavble. Aslo a reliable weapon.
Everyone should own something that shots 7.62X39

A 308 is a long distance shooter with more stopping power. The round is alos a US miliatry round

Reactions: Piratesailor

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not a fan of either but the Mosin Nagant's I've seen at that price have been pretty decent for the most part. They are accurate at fairly long range and have all been reconditioned at least those I've seen. I have a buddy who has 3 of them with the cheapest he paid $99 when they first hit our shores. It is still a good rifle.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
"It would also be nice to have a couple of hand out guns for folks who show up with something to offer but not much in the way of preps, especially fire arms/ammo."

I am thinking you had better be very carefull about providing a fire arm to some one in a high stress situation, that you are not sure of there trustworthy ness.

Are you thinking of a trade and a send off,

Or a trade and hang around?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I paid $109 for my Mosin 91/30 2 years ago and $345 for my Yugo SKS (appeared unfired) last year so that should tell you something about the prices. Both are decent prices especially in the current market. Last gun show I was at you couldn't touch a decent SKS of any variety for under $400 and Mosins were in the $150+ range (saw a hex receiver going for $225). If you can swing it grab them both plus an extra Mosin. I think you're right on the money about the hand out weapons and the Mosin would excel for this application with it's low cost, and powerful (and cheap) cartridge hence why I said grab 2 of them if you can afford it. There are better guns out there that's for sure but very few in those price ranges that can compare with those 2 rifles. You're not likely to find another semi auto rifle as reliable and accurate as the Yugo SKS in that price range especially not one that will hold 10 rounds in the magazine. The only draw back I see with the Yugo is the barrel isn't chrome lined which isn't really a draw back for me but some people tend to shy away.

-Infidel

·
Registered
634 Posts
SKS's are going for about 600 dollars right now in my neck of the woods. I just checked Cabela's add for the 28 through March 10th and the Mosin is showing a price for $499

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would get the SKS if I was plunking down the money. An SKS, unlike the commercially available AKs in this country, is a true military semi-automatic weapon. Ten-round capacity is adequate, and you can reload pretty fast with stripper clips. An SKS is also more accurate than an AK is, and you can go prone a lot easier without that big honking mag hanging off of it. You can mount a bayonet that folds out of the way and stays there.

Mosin-Nagants are very accurate rifles (unless they have been abused) and will beat the SKS in a shooting match, but I prefer a semi-auto if I can get one. I say get the SKS and rock on!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok Mosin's from certain suppliers are around 150.00 or so. Gun shows maybe a little lower or higher. I have six Mosin's and love them all .great shooting for long and intermediate ranges. Even though I don't own an SKS I would if I could. I have shot them and love shooting them. But as I have said in the past. A gun is like a car and everyone drives something different. Get one that suits you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've always been first in line when it comes to helping people but... I can't see myself handing over a firearm to someone that is desperate no matter what they had to trade. If you want cheap & effective consider the Henry Survival Rifle (AR-10) and a Ruger Mark series. Both are .22LR relatively inexpensive & reliable. The best part is that you can carry a truckload of ammo without weighing yourself down. Think .22 is too wimpy? Think again. If you need to shoot long range you have the option of going the other direction without shooting. As for hunting I have brought down deer with a .22. Anything bigger doesn't work too well for small game. I made the mistake of shooting a rabbit with a .22 mag. There was nothing left to harvest.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just tore two of my Remington 700's down and ordered Lilja barrels....Ordered Choate Stocks and will be bedding them shortly. Will be keeping the new removed bull barrels and stocks in case I want to put them back on some day.

Thats the nice thing about a Remington 700...When you wear out a barrel you can get another....you can accurize it almost to the point of unbelief!...All it takes is a couple of gauges and a few special home made tools to screw the barrels off.

Cant do that with a SKS or a Mosin...And neither will be anywhere as accurate. 3 rounds at 1000 yards under a dollar bill?....Go Remington 700! Build your OWN M-40 sniper rifle!...Just dont do the cheapest bid crap like the military does!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input...making a command decision is sometimes hard. When you own as many guns as I do its hard to justify another one. Anymore and I am going to have to turn a closet into a vault, lol!

First, and off topic...JAPARIZ, that avatar is funny I dont care who you are! Just not sure I would get that Tat personally myself. It could be quiet the topic of conversation though for sure!

You're actually considering turning in your weapons?
Oswegoscott, heck no I aint got no intention of turning a damn thing in. I am not all that happy about the potential of being a criminal neither. I am also looking at possible up coming Bans on a renewed push by Democrats and the possibility that this time there wont be a grandfather clause. I mean I really didnt think they would get the AWB of 94 through but they did. That being said I anit too much game on getting another semi automatic "Evil Black Rifle". The way I see it...if I need another one that bad I have a very accurate Remington 700 VLS that says I can take one from someone, especially if that someone is wearing one of those rediculas bright blue helmets that are unmistakable even at hundreds of yards away. Know what I mean... I would like to be forward thinking as possible and minimize my liability though. Hence that paragraph.

keep in mind, the "7.62x39" is bigger than .30 cal. you cant use the bullets in other 7.62 rifles.
Reathe, I realize that not all "30 Cal" are a like. But both my European AK's and SKS are definitely 310-312 NOT .308. I have even slugged them to make sure. I also have only european made 7.62x39 which uses .311 bullets instead of .308 like most domestic manufactures make. As I mentioned I have a ton of 7.62x39 and as such was giving some consideration to the Mosin Nagant allowing me to pull the bullets and powder from the ammo I have and putting it into 7.62x54R cases with new primers if I had too and was desperate. The 7.62x54R uses almost but not quiet twice as much powder as the 'x 39 does and the bullets would be a perfect fit although a bit light. But then again have you seen the ballistics for the 123 gr slug out of a full power 'x 54R case? Its pretty impressive from such an old cartridge and gun! A 123 gr soft point at 2900 fps would do quiet a number on a bad guy to be sure!

I'm not a fan of either but the Mosin Nagant's I've seen at that price have been pretty decent for the most part. They are accurate at fairly long range and have all been reconditioned at least those I've seen.
Im not either. I am kind of hoping though that the Mosins they will be selling will be just as you described. If so I think I might pounce on one for that price. Hell I might get two! Im okay with an ugly duckling if it looks decent and can shoot 2 MOA or there abouts. I have a number of other guns that will easily shoot under 1 MOA till the cows come home if I need that kind of accruacy. On the other hand if they have been rode hard and put away wet and just beater quality guns I will probably pass and spend that money some where else where I get more value for my dollar.

"It would also be nice to have a couple of hand out guns for folks who show up with something to offer but not much in the way of preps, especially fire arms/ammo."

I am thinking you had better be very carefull about providing a fire arm to some one in a high stress situation, that you are not sure of there trustworthy ness.

Are you thinking of a trade and a send off,

Or a trade and hang around?
Any hand out gun I will be handing out will be a loaner only and loaned to someone who I trusted enough to pass any test, that was going to be in the trench next to me shooting back at the bad guys down range! They would be for someone joining my group who while they had fire arm experience and were some what prepared, they werent prepared enough to fend for themselves and would be able to bring something to the table despite not being nearly as prepared as I am. It would be a mutual thing as long as they remained. Bartering guns or ammo is not even a remote consideration!!!

SKS's are going for about 600 dollars right now in my neck of the woods. I just checked Cabela's add for the 28 through March 10th and the Mosin is showing a price for $499
Might be a misprint but on another note I was in there not too long ago and they did have several "Sniper Rifle" grade Mosins retailing for just over 500 fun dollars that had the side scope mount and scope on them. I looked at them and wasnt all that impressed and certianly wasnt impressed by the price. Now if I was a collector looking for a rare gun and they has some of the more coveted "roll stamped models" then I might pay that much. Thats not me and thats not the kind of Mosin I am looking for and if thats all they got I am walking away with my money still in my pocket.

Just tore two of my Remington 700's down and ordered Lilja barrels....Ordered Choate Stocks and will be bedding them shortly. Will be keeping the new removed bull barrels and stocks in case I want to put them back on some day.

Thats the nice thing about a Remington 700...When you wear out a barrel you can get another....you can accurize it almost to the point of unbelief!...All it takes is a couple of gauges and a few special home made tools to screw the barrels off.

Cant do that with a SKS or a Mosin...And neither will be anywhere as accurate. 3 rounds at 1000 yards under a dollar bill?....Go Remington 700! Build your OWN M-40 sniper rifle!...Just dont do the cheapest bid crap like the military does!
Isnt it wonderful how great minds think so much alike? We are two peas in a Pod for sure. I have several very accurate Remington 700's that are awesome! The 7mm Rem Mag is on its 3rd barrel...yeah I have shot the dawg shit out of that one. Its the gun I learned to shoot long distance with and 30 years later its still kicking butt and taking names and shoots well under 1 MOA! I built that baby back in the Day when Jarrets Bean Field Rifles were all the rage, in fact I should have sued Remington when they came out with a simular rifle to mine and named it the Sendero! That was my idea not theirs, lol.

Thats part of the reason I am a little hesitant to get a Mosin. I am a bit anal about accuracy and lets face it thats usually not a term often associated with a Mosin. While many ho-hum shooters can be tweaked and improvements made, you end up putting several hundred bucks into a gun that was only worth a 120 bucks when that same money could have gotten a much better and easier to scope modern day bolt action. But a decent Mosin that can shoot about 2 MOA that is rugged as the day is long, built like that proverbial brick crap house, thats not so prestine that I might have an annurism if I get a scratch on it would be kinda nice to have. Additionally the nostaglia of a Mosin has some appeal as well. What I dont want to get stuck with is a beater gun that shoots patterns like a shotgun loaded with 00-buck instead of acceptable groups even if they arent all that percise! A good Mosin just might fit that bill and do it at a great bargin basement price to boot! If I get a scratch on one of my Remingtons, By God it better happen in the process of scoring on a trophy of a life time! Otherwise it will probably be the scream herd around the world, for real!

Thanks for the comment Ladies and Gents! If you got more to add please feel free, Im a Infomaniac and more than willing to entertain a sales pitch or two or some "spiritual enrichment" on the topic!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thats part of the reason I am a little hesitant to get a Mosin. I am a bit anal about accuracy and lets face it thats usually not a term often associated with a Mosin. While many ho-hum shooters can be tweaked and improvements made, you end up putting several hundred bucks into a gun that was only worth a 120 bucks when that same money could have gotten a much better and easier to scope modern day bolt action. But a decent Mosin that can shoot about 2 MOA that is rugged as the day is long, built like that proverbial brick crap house, thats not so prestine that I might have an annurism if I get a scratch on it would be kinda nice to have. Additionally the nostaglia of a Mosin has some appeal as well. What I dont want to get stuck with is a beater gun that shoots patterns like a shotgun loaded with 00-buck instead of acceptable groups even if they arent all that percise! A good Mosin just might fit that bill and do it at a great bargin basement price to boot! If I get a scratch on one of my Remingtons, By God it better happen in the process of scoring on a trophy of a life time! Otherwise it will probably be the scream herd around the world, for real!

Thanks for the comment Ladies and Gents! If you got more to add please feel free, Im a Infomaniac and more than willing to entertain a sales pitch or two or some "spiritual enrichment" on the topic!
I can tell you that my Mosin will shoot 3-4" @ 100yds with iron sights and my eyes which seem to get worse every year. That's about as good as I can do with any rifle with iron sights unless it's a peep rear. Those old notch rear sights are pretty tough for me to make out clearly that's why I had to put a Williams peep on my Marlin 336. Bear in mind that the Mosin wasn't meant to be a target rifle and 2 MOA might be asking a lot from the old war horse although I'm sure most are capable of it. The Mosin is a battle rifle and meant to put rounds center of mass not shoot tiny groups, buy one in good shape and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If I was worried about getting stuck with a bunch of 7.62x 39 ammo and I had some of the guns you mentioned I would look into getting adapters where I could shoot them in a 308 or 30-06.
CHAMBER ADAPTERS

You would only be talking about $30 dollars instead of buying another rifle. But I would look at using them as a last resort and not taking them in and out of the gun what ever bolt action I used it in I would now consider it as a bolt action 7.62x39.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
No son, there isn't. We do have Bass Pro Shops - one about 15 miles from my home as the crow flies.
They seem almost like the same thing except "much" smaller. I've seen the Cabelas in Reno and its
easily 2 or 3x the store Manteca, CA is.

SKS are going for $400 / $600 used on the CalGun.net market place - a free for all classifieds.
A few are considered "C&R" which means over 50 years old and that means no waiting period - just
show the seller your drivers license for reference and walk away with an old SKS. Those are
actually getting about $100 more in most cases right now - people like the idea of something
the grubbynutt doesn't know anything about. You can have BudsGunShop send you a Mosin
to your door if you have a C&R FFL license - pretty easy to get; if not you can probably find a
real FFL glad to take your money for the order.

As ammo has skyrocketed here I've noticed the guns are starting to come back to reality.
Lower receivers for the AR / 223 are still at a bit of a premium but probably down 20% from
the peak about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately any savings there is going to be used buying
ammo if you don't already have some.

Is there Cabela's in California?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tell you that my Mosin will shoot 3-4" @ 100yds with iron sights and my eyes which seem to get worse every year. That's about as good as I can do with any rifle with iron sights unless it's a peep rear. Those old notch rear sights are pretty tough for me to make out clearly that's why I had to put a Williams peep on my Marlin 336. Bear in mind that the Mosin wasn't meant to be a target rifle and 2 MOA might be asking a lot from the old war horse although I'm sure most are capable of it. The Mosin is a battle rifle and meant to put rounds center of mass not shoot tiny groups, buy one in good shape and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

-Infidel
Yeah two inches is probably pushing the envelope a bit but 3-4 inches with rifle sights aint bad!!! I realize they werent ment to be target rifles and most have been used and abused, rode hard and put away wet which doesnt do them any favors either.

·
Registered
355 Posts
First, and off topic...JAPARIZ, that avatar is funny I dont care who you are! Just not sure I would get that Tat personally myself. It could be quiet the topic of conversation though for sure!
This one is funnier. Not me, but you gotta love the guy's sense of humor. piggy.jpg

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you handload you could get it down to 2" I'm sure. For me it makes no sense to load for the Mosin when I can buy 440rd spam cans for $89 through AIM. I know there's guys out there that do it but it just doesn't seem cost effective to me. By comparison 200rds of M2 ball ammo through the CMP is $98, I ordered 200rds just for the brass and to keep me going until I can find some .308" bullets. Same thing for the 7.62x39mm just not cost effective, I bought a bunch of Wolf ammo last year for that at $4.18/box I doubt I could load it that cheap.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a quick update...

I got one. Its a 1943 model and looks very nice, will probably be pretty sweet looking once the cosmolin is off and its cleaned up. Kinda regretting not getting a second one as nice as this one looks. My nephew got a 1939 model.

I will look up the stamps on it and find out more about it and hopefully post a pic or two this week end.

They had sold out all the SKS's and many were pretty rough looking in just 30 minutes before we got to the counter. The Nuggets were flying out the door as quick as they could get them out the back store room. You werent really able to look them over and were kinda having to buy them sight unseen but they were all looking pretty good like the one they did have on display. For 119.00 they were definitely one of the best looking Mosins I have seen in a couple of years!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts