Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New was reading a few things on the site but I want to know what I would need to have to survive in the city for a few days that could fit into a back for what I worry most about and is likely to happen in the next few years or any day now: A big CME like the carrington event hits earth and knocks out the grid and probably GPS satellites.
Ideally if this was to happen I would want to be out in the woods or living in a house in the country side where I had natural resouses, BUT I live in an apartment in the city. I have lived out in the woods before just to see if I could do it. It was like a three month long camping trip. But living in the city is bad because you have a high population of desperate people and no natural resources. Its hard to find info on preping for the city. Even those survival shows show them in some type of woods or brush. Another thing is I'm legally blind and partially disabled, so the odds are not in my favor, but I want to ready anyways as I'm sure the rest of you do. I cant drive so I have no car.

I know I would need
Back Pack
Big jar of peanut butter *supplies carbs, fat, and protiene
Flash light with extra batteries, Ideally two
Knife :How big, what type
Water or something to put water in, water is heavy to carry around
A tent?
Medications
Some type of first aid?
Sleeping bag, although this would be ideal for the woods not sure about the city.
Something to make fire?

I really dont know, never tried "surviving" the city like I did in the woods.

What do you guys do who live in the city?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You've come to the right place - many helpful people here. I commend you for your desire to plan for what could/will happen. The city in many of our minds is one of the worst places to be if and when everything goes wrong. But at least you understand that and are willing to do something about it. You are correct - people will be desperate and will do atrocious things so be prepared as best you can. Along with those things you mentioned you may want to be able to defend yourself. Your disabilities make it harder but not impossible. You can do it. I'm glad to see people ask - it is through research and planning that we achieve peace of mind and well-being. Best of Luck!!!!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
You live in the city... but your plan is to head into the sticks with 3 months worth of food? Ain't gonna happen. No one can carry that much. Fact is, heading for the sticks will kill you faster than anything else. Why? 'Cuz EVERYONE thinks they can head for the sticks and go all Grizzly Adams.... hunting, fishing, trapping, starting a garden..... Well, if EVERYONE is out tromping through the woods, it will quickly devolve into 'survival of the fittest'.

Unless there's a compelling reason the leave your current digs, it's probably a far better option to simply bunker in place. Plan for that, not buggin' out to the local state park.

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
For a couple days in the city you really only need protection til you get home. Should be able to scavenge a snack and drink someplace. Shelter shouldn't be an issue. A small purse or fanny pack to haul your weapons is all that's needed, IMHO. Speed and stealth would be more important then hauling a bunch of junk around.

I wouldn't plan on heading for the hills. As it's many other people backyard. Do you really think the locals will be welcoming all the new strangers.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Well, I eat peanut-butter regularly. As for "society," I do not trust people much any more. I met some really decent kids in Menomonee Falls, in fact, I just went there to kick the place around and see the back of the dad's former home.

I haven't been without a folding knife in perhaps 40 years. And to add insult to injury, all of the guys I ran with as a young man have all died or left no trail of their movement to a new city.

I was the one with the asthma and the problem with running with the boys. Most of them have passed away and my asthma has now disappeared. The guy who was my best friend in 2nd grade dumped me. Despite his strength and speed, he died, while my life and health got better by the day.

I view this as that "society." It first takes you like a lover and then dumps you. Thus endth the tale.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You live in the city... but your plan is to head into the sticks with 3 months worth of food? Ain't gonna happen. No one can carry that much. Fact is, heading for the sticks will kill you faster than anything else. Why? 'Cuz EVERYONE thinks they can head for the sticks and go all Grizzly Adams.... hunting, fishing, trapping, starting a garden..... Well, if EVERYONE is out tromping through the woods, it will quickly devolve into 'survival of the fittest'.

Unless there's a compelling reason the leave your current digs, it's probably a far better option to simply bunker in place. Plan for that, not buggin' out to the local state park.
I think that OP said that he had lived out in the sticks for 3 months and that it was like a camping trip. Not that he was planning to take 3 months worth of food and head to the sticks.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I think that OP said that he had lived out in the sticks for 3 months and that it was like a camping trip. Not that he was planning to take 3 months worth of food and head to the sticks.

Thats the way I took it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hello,

New was reading a few things on the site but I want to know what I would need to have to survive in the city for a few days that could fit into a back for what I worry most about and is likely to happen in the next few years or any day now: A big CME like the carrington event hits earth and knocks out the grid and probably GPS satellites.
Ideally if this was to happen I would want to be out in the woods or living in a house in the country side where I had natural resouses, BUT I live in an apartment in the city. I have lived out in the woods before just to see if I could do it. It was like a three month long camping trip. But living in the city is bad because you have a high population of desperate people and no natural resources. Its hard to find info on preping for the city. Even those survival shows show them in some type of woods or brush. Another thing is I'm legally blind and partially disabled, so the odds are not in my favor, but I want to ready anyways as I'm sure the rest of you do. I cant drive so I have no car.

I know I would need
Back Pack
A tent?
Medications
Some type of first aid?
Sleeping bag, although this would be ideal for the woods not sure about the city.
Something to make fire?

My opinion is like some of the others, stay in your apartment. With your ailments, especially your eye sight you could get picked off very easy in a rural environment. If I were you I would get a shot gun. You don't need perfect eye sight to get a hit. Research ways to fortify your apartment to prevent someone breaking in. Learn about water and food storage and build a kick ass pantry.

Last, try to make friends with someone in another neighborhood to relocate to if needed and someone outside the city if a mandatory bug out required relocating. Then build a kick ass bug out bag that will help you survive. There is like a crap load of BOB threads on here so research those.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Silcock wrench, prybar, bolt cutters and personal defense tools that make little or no noise, if you are planning to stay in the city. I live in a large urban area too and plan on staying put and laying low in my place until I am forced to relocate.

If and when it happens any escape will be attempted in the early hours on my 29er hardtail MTB that has a full bike packing set up.

Godspeed

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,943 Posts
A lot of good advice has been given, and I know it wasn't quite what you had in mind. Truth be told, most folks new to this line of thinking often think about leaving their current location and heading for greener pastures. As stated, this idea is shared among a large percentage of the population, and therefore, falls apart upon implementation.

But, for the sake of your question, I'll indulge you.
Firstly, have a plan for where you are going, and how long it could take you to get there. Plan for a maximum duration with added delays to avoid people and checkpoints/roadblocks. Best option is to stay within your immediate area unless you know you will be welcomed wherever you're going.

Water: However long that journey is, plan for enough water to make the trip. As you noted, water is heavy. Carry 1 liter in a refillable container, preferably stainless steel. Plot your course to include natural waterways where you can refill and purify. In a CME event, even tap water might not be purified. You'll want a LifeStraw or Sawyer filtering solution. Purification tablets can work too, but take time. A micro stove and small fuel bottle can be used to boil your water in the stainless container. Be sure to remove any non-metal parts before heating. Since this journey will involve activity, you'll want to consume 2+ gallons per day. You can go a whole day without water without suffering ill effects, but you won't enjoy day 2. Water is your life. Food, not so much.

Food: Daily food intake is more of a comfort/luxury. Unless your trip takes longer than a week(not likely in a city), don't worry much about food. After day 3 with no food, the feeling of hunger goes away. Peanut butter is not a bad choice, however. It's calorie dense and packs small. You don't need a family size jar.

Flashlight: A flashlight is only needed in the dark. A flashlight in the dark can be seen with the naked eye from over a mile away. A good one, even farther.
Go with a low-light option, something in a red color. Red light falls off the visible spectrum sooner, and will be less noticeable at a distance.
If you insist on traveling at night, necessitating this light, go with a headlamp to keep your hands free. Pack safety glasses in yellow or clear to avoid eye injuries from tree branches in low-light conditions.

Knife: Fixed blade with a thick, 90 degree flat spine for use making feather sticks or striking a ferro rod if the absolute need arises for a fire. A multi-tool would be a good addition too. But a dedicated knife for utility work is worth its weight.

Tent: No. Find a good poncho, emergency blanket, a bivvy bag, and paracord. Learn to make a lean-to from this. You aren't camping. You're getting to a safer, more permanent location that should already have good shelter.

Meds: Pain relievers, antihistamines if you're allergic to nature, any prescriptions, and maybe some caffeine pills.

First aid: Booboo kit with bandages and triple antibiotic ointment. Moleskin for blisters. Bug spray and bite meds. Don't get crazy. Your likelihood for needing a trauma kit are low if you avoid people and don't take risks with rough terrain.

Fire: Attracts attention with light and smell. Should be avoided if trying to go unnoticed. For water purification, see stove recommendation above. For heat, emergency blanket and proper clothing for expected weather conditions. Making a fire from random materials is rough, especially if you've never done it. Pack one or two of those "fire starter" sticks that will serve as your initial fire source. A BIC lighter or two. Get BIC, they work.

Backpack: You put backpack at the top of your list, and I would strongly discourage this item being considered a high priority. Until you know what's going in it, you don't need to pick one. Picking one first will lead to squirreling away additional items you don't really need just because you have the space. Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. Don't pick a bag until you have all of your necessities assembled. Lump them together as you would if they were in a bag. Measure the lump. Get a bag that fits that lump. Your back will thank you.
Stick with strong brands that will hold up to the weight. I like Maxpedition and trust their durability and workmanship. Strong materials and excessive stitching. Any bag made the same way will hold up just as well. Avoid school bookbags.

Weapon: You didn't include it, but get one. People get desperate when they don't know what is going on. You don't want to be unarmed on the other end of their desperation. Literally anything that uses gunpowder will suffice. The bang scares more than the bite, but the bite is still a necessary part of the package. Even a .22 handgun would do. You aren't defending Fort Sumter. You just need safe passage and you're gone.

The last point is just a reiteration of others.
Your current residence is safer and better stocked than a bag and outdoor trip will ever provide you. Learn to store things away there so you don't have to worry about going anywhere else.
That said, if your building is set on fire due to anarchy, a bag prepped and ready to get out and go is better than nothing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Perhaps give thought to how to camouflage your residence to make it appear unoccupied and looted, while at the same time fortifying it? Water, food, shelter, Sanitation (TP AND waste management-disposal), defense. Bugging out is not to be undertaken lightly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I know I would need
Back Pack
A tent?
Medications
Some type of first aid?
Something to make fire?

I live in new york city and getting a fire-arm is very hard, you they put ya on a 18 month waiting list, and you have to pay fees, and usually 2-3 thousand dollars. The only folks, who get to bypass this are celebs, and rich folks, who get a special court order were they can carry fire arms, or have body guards, because their life is in danger from being a public figure. Its the same with new jersey.

Have some canned goods and canolla bars, a few bottles of water, a water bottle with a made in filter. A flash light, with batteries, a solar/battery hand crank radio with flash light. A small medical kit, with meds. small hatcet axe and hammer, and knifes, one smaller one for cooking usually with a 5 inch blade, and a larger one for some choping or defense usually 8inch blade one. pancho,and a black tarp in case you need a make shift shelter. small sleeping bag. have a flint, and fire starter 2x. And a few mini fire starter lighters. a small camping stove, you can get one off of amazon. Get a heavy duty map, of your state and the other 3-4 near by states in your area. Say im in new york, i would get a nyc map, new jersey, pennslyvania map, vermont, connecticut, massshusets.
If you can't get a pistol, and a ar 15, get a electric rod, or stun gun, some high level pepper spray/mace. Make sure if your in a big city, have your ar15 in a case in your backpack. Have a fishing rod with extra, line, and hooks with lures on them. Have paracord. Have a small tool case, with multi tools multi screw driver and small saw.

If your trying to survive, in the city you will need a shelter, abandoned gas stations, is a decent start. try to find a spot that you can break into that has a set of keys. Don't try to break into areas were people already live or have claim to.

sorry i forgot get walkie talkie radios, it can be a life saver, and help in forming allies. well worth the money. you can also carry a small power station with a sollar panel.
a small pack of nails and screws.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Something to consider is the gray man concept. Don't go walking around town wearing camo clothes, you will stand out like a neon flamingo! Wear worker type clothes, jeans and flanel shirt, pick colors that don't stand out in a crowd, like tans and grays.Layer your clothes to adjust for different temps and the activity level. Figure out where you will go and cashe some food at that location. CASH, keep some cash for your escape, when things start to unwind the credit cards will not work. Another think, start walking, it takes a month to get yourself in condition for a 5 mile hike. There are some smart people on this forum, gleam good info from their writtings, don't re-invent the wheel, copy it. I have been preparing for SHTF for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Like the majority of people in a city ... long term, you're probably effed. Build your network and pantry to hold out as long as you can with food, community and security. A nationwide power outage is probably my biggest concern as it gets us to more or less the same place as being nuked but without the initial massive loss of life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts