Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get some help. I am wanting to start a garden. Nothing big, a small amount of fruits and veggies. I have 3 problems starting out.
1- I live in an apartment building. I figure I can get a longer row of trays, and attach them to the railing of my balcony.
2- My apartment faces the west, sun sets in the west. Very hot on my patio daily, does that mean they will just roast in the sun and die?
3- Squirrels. I have 2 squirrels that continue to go on my patio. I don't want to kill them, but obviously I need to keep them away.

Maybe I am just worrying about small things, but I am pretty new to this. I have gardened before in the past, but I had good fertile land to work with. I will be working with (possibly) 5 in. deep trays that attach to the railing.

I am open to suggestions/ideas. I have a small patio to work with, but I don't want to give up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
#1-can't help you there other than to suggest container gardening.
#2-just make sure they are watered & they should thrive.
#3-live traps would be the only thing other than getting double stided tape & put on the railing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you have room to hang baskets, you could try the topsy turvy planters that grow upside down. That way you would have more room for your rail planters. You are limited in what will grow in a 5" deep container. If you have room for a 5 gallon bucket for a tomato plant or other vegetable. I posted a link somewhere on the forum on the size of containers and what will grow in them.Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5 gallon buckets are a great idea!! I may be able to get like 5 of them in a row, and plant different things in each one..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts