Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I need some input on different food options. Right now I have a 3 month supply for my wife,me and my dogs.it consists of soup mixes canned veggies and meats,etc....with my plans of bugging out if things get unmanageable to stay in my house, I've been thinking of looking into mre,wise food storage kits in the buckets,or the mountain food storage in the buckets... Are these a good choice or should I be looking into something else for a bov.
Thanks again
James

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
MREs are high calorie for servicemen in the field that are humping 70-100lbs of gear & many miles. Not really the best choice for long term.

Not sure about how you are bugging out (vehicle or afoot) or how far you are going. Freeze dried foods require excess water to rehydrate them.

Problem with the one size fits all kits is they fit none.

My advice, buy what you like to eat & repack it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My husband and I have mostly broken down MRE's (taken out of the large initial package, highest caloric meals packed). Our only option would be to bug out, and I wouldn't want to worry about carrying/finding/purifying the water necessary for freeze dried meals, even if they do take up less space. But I also believe in diversifying, as we still have some freeze dried meals and 1,200 calorie food bars, too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been thinking of building an expedition trailer for some time now. Just don't have the time to make one from scratch. I was thinking of getting an ex military trailer and converting it. But that will be down the road.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've been thinking of building an expedition trailer for some time now. Just don't have the time to make one from scratch. I was thinking of getting an ex military trailer and converting it. But that will be down the road.
You could always put a camper shell on a pickup box trailer and keep it loaded in the garage. I see pickup bx trailers on Craigslist frequently for little money.

Reactions: thegtwyo86

·
Registered
24 Posts
good call jimb1972... I like that idea as your storage is already loaded and you can monitor / replace items to spoilage or age. Now, me personally, I would not go with any sort of military-looking vehicles/modifications... attracts too much attention and could be a target by a hostile. I advise, my own 2 cents, to look as normal and regular as you can to others. Finally, HuntingHawk is correct about MRE's but I also want to add that they are expensive as hell and you could can, freeze-dry, etc for a lot less per meal yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think canning Is a good idea for bugging in. Bit not for bugging out IMO. Because of the weight and worrying about them braking. I have a lot of canned food right now for my bugging in plan but that is why I was thinking of using something like mres or freeze-dried foods because of the weight savings and durability.
Thanks again
James

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Everyone should have a bug out plan with atleast one destination & multiple routes.

A simple food dehydrator can be made or purchased to have light weight foods for bugging out. Fruit & veggies are easy to dehydrate. Meat takes more heat & a lot longer time. All fat must be removed from meat because fat won't dehydrate.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Pickup truck bed trailer with a topper on it is excellent. Tint the windows that its hard for people to see inside it. Can even do a roof rack to add a small jon boat or canoe. Keep it packed with basics like camping gear & won't take long to finish loading it in an emergency.

Have some large coolers & keep plastic jugs of ice water in the freezer. Refrigerated goods will be good for several days that way.

Any vehicle can tow atleast twice as much weight as it can carry which makes a trailer a great option for bug out. Plus the fact of leaving it partially packed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts