Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help for a new Shotgun

Hey all

I have over a year a halb auto shotgun (Akkar).
Im happy with it but e seek a new pump action, it must bee reliable und a fun to shoot.
Of my friends no one have a pump action and i need your help =)

I found 3 Models that i like

Maverick 88 with stock - 400dollar
Mossberg 500 with stock - 600dollar
Mossberg 590 A1 (No Bajonett) - 800dollar
Mossberg 590 A1 ( With Bajonett) - 1050dollar

Thx for your expirience

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
If you pay $400 for a Maverick 88 you're being ripped off. You shouldn't be paying anymore than about $250 out the door for one on a bad day. But they are a good, reliable starter shotgun. Same for the Mossberg 500. $600 isn't even in the normal price range for it.

Another option, and probably the best for a pump in my opinion, is a Remington 870. I've owned several. I currently own a Stevens Model 320 that I like just fine. It has pistol grip, Ghost Ring rear sight, and an AR style fiber optic front sight. They run mid $200's. Also owned a Stevens Model 350 that I really liked as well. Another favorite of mine is the Weatherby PA-459. It has a similar set up to the 320 and I've seen them go in the lower $400's and they are ported.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
81 Posts
you need "helf" with a new shotgun....hu well I don't know what "helf" is....bummer

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mossberg 930, you can pick one up in the $600 range max. Its a 3 in auto loader and they make a few different variations of the gun.

A Winchester SXP is another good model, $299 new from Academy for the 3 in model.

I own and love shooting both of these firearms, never had an issue from either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Exclude the Mossberg 930 from my post. I re-read the fact that you already have an auto loader. My apologies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ Bigdogbuc

Thx for your infos =)
In switzerland is that cheap for this guns (new) ^^
Here we pay for a Sig P226 AL 2000dollar and for a full steel 3000dollar (new)...
100swiss franks are 105Dollar in this moment...

@ Beef

Sorry english is not my nativ language, but i try my best

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The OP isn't from our market of course. We pay much less for those guns here in the States.
Mossberg 500's were on sale at Big 5 last week for $299 with both a 28 and 18.5 inch barrel
combo, I've seen the Mavericks on sale for $219 - these are US dollar figures. I've never priced
a 930 but hear they are very good - still like my 870's. I hear they go down faster in boating
accidents ?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The Mossbergs are good shotguns, but personally I prefer Remington 870's. Both are vastly customizable, but the 870 is a little more here in the states anyways. The 870's have a steel receiver compared to the Mossberg aluminum receivers which I very much prefer. They've got quite a few nice models these days like the 870 Tactical Express with iron sights, optic rail and ported choke out of box. It almost makes me want a shotgun again. But, my eye didn't tear up when I sold my last one, an rocked out 1187, same as they didn't with the 870 I had before it. I've never had a lot of need for a shotgun with a good semi rifle around. But I don't hunt many flying birds or care as much about doing the most damage with 1 shot to look nice for the police if I have shoot someone.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The only part on the Mossberg 500 that ever fails is the plastic button that operates the safety. I made a replacement button from scrap steel and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
For those with the 870. I followed the advice given here and installed a SJ in mine. Remington 870 Magazine Follower Overview and Alternatives (Choate, Scattergun Technologies, Original, Stainless, Vang) | Rem870.com

Even in a brand new gun you'll never believe it's the same gun after just changing out the follower! Seriously. It's amazing the effect that part has on the operation of the gun cycling! "Mine cycles fine" you think? No, no it doesn't. Not like it can!

Couple other worthy mods. Sage +3 magazine extension, and the tool steel extractor claw used in the Police issue 870's (midwayusa.com has them), and obviously, trim the sear spring!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Peppicorps, please note here in the US our police and military can have almost any thing they want, the standard issue for those who must be sure that it works every time is a Remington 870.

Not a Mossberg.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I carry a Remington 870 on duty and own a Mossberg 500 for home defense. Both are fine guns. The best advise I could give you is steer clear of the budget pump actions that are flooding the market. The Stevens, The H&R Pardner, the Tri-stars etc. I have handled many of these and they simply do not compare. For another hundred bucks you can own a Remington 870 Exress or a Mossberg 500 persuader. Both are combat tested, tried and true. I like both guns equally.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Maverick 88 with stock - 400 They sell new all day long for 159 to 200

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Peppicorps, please note here in the US our police and military can have almost any thing they want, the standard issue for those who must be sure that it works every time is a Remington 870.

Not a Mossberg.
I've drawn both from the armory and if I've seen more than a few Devil Dogs carry a Mossy.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've used both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 never any problems with either one. That being said the 870 was an issue weapon which means it saw a lot more use and abuse over a lot more years than I've had the Mossberg around.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Peppicorps;
Don't pay too much attention to U.S. pricing. Realizing that the cost of an American gun over there will be higher due to overseas shipping,
possible import duties and maybe even extra taxes, Get the one you want and can afford. They're all decent shotguns.
The Maverick is made by Mossberg, it is not quite as sturdy and there are just a few differences from the 500
but it is fine unless you're going to do rough training in the field.
The Mossberg 500 + 590, Remington 870, Winchester 1200 will all be excellent for fun or defense.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts