Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am going to buy a Bi-Pod for an AR-15 and I know nothing about them. So I need some advice on what is good and what is not and I would like to know why also.
You may need to know,
I will be shooting off a table, I will be using a 30 round magazine.

And guys I don't speak any techanezze So if possible keep it simple

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Man, there is area I have no idea about on commercially available options. I have a fore grip that has steel legs thay pop out of it I kept as a souvanier:), a buddy of mine recently sent me a backup since mine is feeling it's age. There has to be a civilian equivalent out there somewhere.

The trick to bipods is to try and get a stock mouted pod. Having your attatchment on your barrel is not the plan to have.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Man, there is area I have no idea about on commercially available options. I have a fore grip that has steel legs thay pop out of it I kept as a souvanier:), a buddy of mine recently sent me a backup since mine is feeling it's age. There has to be a civilian equivalent out there somewhere.

The trick to bipods is to try and get a stock mouted pod. Having your attatchment on your barrel is not the plan to have.
AR wizz bang gizmo's included!

Amazon.com: Vertical Foregrip Hand Grip Bi-Pod for AR15 & Rifles with Olight M10 350 lumen LED Tactical Light, LumenTac Battery, Quick Detachable Offset Picatinny or Weaver Rail Mount: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
559 Posts
I personally don't put bipods on my AR's due to the added weight vs. use factor. But I have friends who do use and like bipods. And based on what I have seen and my friends experience Harris Bipod would be the one I would choose.
IMHO Harris are the best bang for the buck, very well made. I have a couple of them and really like them, and after comparing them - I actually prefer the non-swivel versions.

Amazon.com: Harris Engineering 1A2-BRM Solid Base 6 - 9-Inch BiPod: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Bipods do add a good amount of weight upfront and overall, but if you get one with quick release, you can carry it in a butt or back pack till you want to use it and put it on fast. You can do that with one without a quick release of course it's just going to take longer and a tool to remove and put it back on. Most people use a version that attaches directly to a lower picattiny rail on their handguard. The GripPods are nice, but most of the time I like a bipod all the way forward and that's too far for where I like a vertical grip. VersaPod makes some of the best quality and design for my taste but there not cheap. Harris bipods have been around a long time and are cheaper, but when you use a rail adapter and than the bipod, it's gets bulky. I don't use one my AR's because when it comes down to it, an AR is a fighting carbine to me and it's best to me when it's light and fast and kept so. I shoot offhand and practice doing so whether standing, on a knee, sitting or in prone, which is the most practical shooting to me should I need to actually use one in a fight, same as I did in the military. To each his own though. a bipod makes long range shooting a much more stable platform than just offhand.

Bipods | Bipods Monopods & Shooting Sticks | Shooting Gear

Versa-Pod Prone Bipod Picatinny Rail Mount 7 to 9 Rubber Feet Black

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I bought one for my .308 about 10 years ago, I think its a versa pod. Comes off quick enough and you can have the mount part installed on several guns and use the same bipod

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm not a big fan of bipods on AR's.. UNLESS it is a bull barrel set up for long range shooting. The only bipod I have on our AR's is on one set up for longer range shooting... They come in handy as a "handle or brace" for high angle shooting. VERY few shots are taken from prone when shooting at angles.. That being said, I would go with a Harris probably. They are very well made and have been around for some time. If you are going to be at a range with it punching paper all the time and that is the only use you plan on getting out of it. Go with the bipod. If not, I wouldn't bother.. Just my 2cc's

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you want a cheaper option, you might try the UTG's. I've never used their bipods, but there scopes and handguards are pretty fair quality for what they cost in my experience.

Amazon.com: UTG Rubber Armored Full Metal QD Bipod, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: utg bipod: Sports & Outdoors
I have a personal hatred for UTG. Sure some of their products are ok, but I had a few that were utter crap - and they have *THE WORST* customer service I've ever had to deal with.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would only use a bipod on an AR-15 if it has a floating stock. DO NOT use a bipod if it either clips on to the barrel or is supported from the barrel, you will get a big change of impact when switching to bags or any other rest that supports from the stock.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would only use a bipod on an AR-15 if it has a floating stock. DO NOT use a bipod if it either clips on to the barrel or is supported from the barrel, you will get a big change of impact when switching to bags or any other rest that supports from the stock.
Very true! Never let ANYTHING touch the barrel.. I see guys shooting sometime and they will be taking a 4-600yd shot and lay the BARREL across a strand of barbed wire for support. When I say something they look at me like I'm crazy... But they miss the shot usually..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I can't hardly think of a tactical situation where a bipod would be useful. It basically gives your opponent a clear shot (window) the length of your bipod. In a tactical situation I would use a log, rock, window seal, hole in the wall just about anything before I would use a bipod and allow a bullet to hit me from under the rifle.

Hell I would would carry a 40 lb sand bag with me before I would shoot out of a window using a bipod.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a very nice place on my back porch for a shooting table. I thought it might be nice to setup a Bi-Pod and shoot
off the porch when ever the mood hits me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey,
I am going to buy a Bi-Pod for an AR-15 and I know nothing about them. So I need some advice on what is good and what is not and I would like to know why also.
You may need to know,
I will be shooting off a table, I will be using a 30 round magazine.

AR-15/M16 PICATINNY RAIL BIPOD | Brownells dont but UTG its crap, your carbine is a tool and quite possibly your life invest wisely.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have a very nice place on my back porch for a shooting table. I thought it might be nice to setup a Bi-Pod and shoot
off the porch when ever the mood hits me.
Just grab a few sandbags and you are set.. No need for a bipod unless you are hell bent on one..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Bags or much preferred over bipods for sighting in a rifle, holds the gun much steadier than a bipod.
Yup, a sandbag in the front and one in the rear and you are set..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts