Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own the Maxpedition Operator Tactical?Amazon.com: Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache, Black: Sports & Outdoors

I am looking for a good (no, great) bag to be converted into a primary first aid kit. I have looked at a lot of pre made kits, and I think I can do better. I was just looking for an honest review of this bag, or a recommendation on a better one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I own a lot of Maxpedition gear though I don't have one of those. If the layout suited my needs for something though I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Max makes high quality gear, simple as that.

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
Did I read that right? $120 for just the bag with nothing in it????? I'm a retire paramedic and I have 2 big Plano "Deep Dry Storage Box"
Plano Molding | Fishing | Medical/Emergency | 1612-50 Deep Dry Storage w/tray Box
Plano's 1612 Deep Marine Box is water-resistant with an o-ring seal. A deep lift out tray and top access storage provide plenty of room for all your supplies.
•Water resistant O-ring seal
•Comfortable oversized handle
•Top access storage
•Large lift out tray
•15" x 8" x 10
They come in OD too. They are my trauma boxes and weigh in at about 20 pounds each. Not for bugging out.

For bugging out, I bought a Mil Surplus med kit bag and stuffed a ton of stuff in it. Has a sling for over the shoulder.
I paid about $15 empty and put the goodies I felt would be needed. Is filled to the max.
View attachment 3070

·
Registered
938 Posts
I prefer the roll up pouches because you can fill them up with all the miscellaneous stuff you need.

Meds, cleaning/antiseptic wipes, gloves, bandages, blades, gauze, ointments, antibiotics, Q-tips, monofilament, needles, tweezers, scissors, snips, autopsy knife, iodine, betadine, Vaseline, Chapstick, moleskin, Bandaids, Orajel, saline, eyewash, handcleaner, floss, alcohol, etc.

Easy to find because it is red. Easy to attach to gear. Compact and easy to carry and stow away.

BLACKHAWK! Fire/EMS Medical Roll Up - BLACKHAWK!

·
Registered
25 Posts
For my money, decide what you NEED in your kit - then choose a soft bag that will suit your needs. I have three. My car kit is an old M3 medic bag, my mass casualty bag/extra supplies bag is an M39 knock-off, and my durable medical equipment bag is an old-fashioned doctor's leather bag (protects the expensive stuff better and it is what I use when I need to make a house call or am volunteering at an event.) I do keep a CHEAP stethoscope and BP cuff in each of the other bags as well, since in a 'jumping off' situation I won't want my leather bag with the expensive stuff.

I recommend against 'pre-stocked' kits....they usually have crap that you don't need and will eventually end up throwing away. Talk to your friendly neighborhood MD/DO/PA/NP, paramedic, or EMT about what to get, then buy it piece-meal.

Don't forget to CHECK it at least once a year for damaged and expired stuff. I do mine twice a year when the daylight savings time changes occur - same as my smoke/CO2 detector batteries, that way it is easy to remember.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts