Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use these regularly? Such as an EDC? I'm really getting my knife collecting going....mainly cheaper but decent blades.

In the last couple of months I have gotten:

Cold Steel Kukri Machete
Morakniv #2
Morakniv Companion HD
Condor Bushlore
Cold Steel GI Tanto

I also carry a Kershaw Onion Blur that I've had for about 8 years.

So...now I'm considering getting a neck knife (I've carried the Mora #2 neck and liked it). I'm thinking about one of the Cold Steel knives...I really like the quality and price point.

Any suggestions? Any knives I've GOT to have?

Thanks for your input.

-Kopio

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
2-3" blade of high carbon steel with antler or bone handle. Drop point works best for me. It should be able to do anything a pocket or lock blade would do.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I bought the 2 for $20 at Smokey Mountain Knife company. SMK sent me a big sale flyer the other day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't gotten more feedback! I was betting a whole bunch of people here would be neck knife wearers.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have thought about adding a neck knofe to each bag along with a ferro rod. I used to wear one all the time but got away from it when I discovered patch knives.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of anything around my neck. If it won't fit in my pocket or hang on my belt, I do not want to carry it. It is just a personal phobia

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Get an ANZA knife check em out awesome knives at very reasonable prices

·
Registered
855 Posts
I guess I don't really understand the whole neck knife thing. The only thing that hangs around my neck is the gold chain my wife gave me for Christmas the first year we were together. Personally I think I would find my pocket or on my belt a whole lot more convenient than hanging around my neck. Every one I know that carries a neck knife keeps it inside their shirt and my thoughts on this are #1 steel gets very cold when you're outside during the winter and I don't really want that against my skin and #2 I think it would be very hard to get to if you needed that knife in a hurry. Nope I think I'll keep my knives in my pocket or on my belt.

-Infidel

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
A neck knife serves the same uses as a lock blade in a pouch on your belt. Except no locking mechanism to get clogged up or fail.

"steel gets very cold when you're outside during the winter and I don't really want that against my skin"
I guess you should try putting it in a sheath the next time then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Crkt Bear Claw as my neck knife on a homemade paracord lanyard that I love. for me, it is a total last ditch style self protection blade. I visualize using it in a worst case scenario where i am on my back getting beat up or something. Where the guy is in a full mount and just wailing away, and i cant get to my other pocket knife or firearm because of his position. It wouldnt be that hard to cover my face with one hand and go for my Bear Claw with the other.

plus my lanyard has a mini flashlight and tiny survival kit in it too with is kinda cool ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
For many years now I have worn a HideAway knife on a lanyard around my neck. The one I carry is made from Titanium, so it's very light, doesn't rust, and doesn't really get very cold. I'm very fond of the nearly "drop-proof" design. I also have a tiny Drake mini Titanium flashlight attached to the knife. It goes everywhere with me, and is completely innocuous.

HideAwayKnife

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So...I ended up grabbing a Ka-bar Piggyback Johnson Adventure Blade. I wrapped it with #350 paracord (#550 was just too big and bullky). I went and got a ball chain necklace for it (black-non-reflective) and I have been wearing it as my edc for the last week or so.

Overall I really like it! It only weighs 1.1 ounce...so you don't even feel it, and you always have a knife that is handy and easy access. I also like the fact that it is a very small, very sharp and comfortable blade to hold. All in all....can't beat it for $10 at Cabelas! It's only 440 stainless...so it's not the greatest blade steel....but it seems to be holding an edge pretty well.

I'll try and post some pics once I snap a couple. I'm taking it out fishing tomorrow...we'll see how it does with cut-bait!

-Kopio

·
Registered
686 Posts
I sorta view neck knives along the same lines as boot knives. They seem to be handy, but are usually a pain in the butt to carry everyday.

I have a very nice Gerber boot knife (circa early 1980's) that I carried everyday while in the military, but after the first month or so, was never in my boot. It was in my helmet bag, or on my flight vest, but never in my boot. It was uncomfortable, and I couldn't access it very easily if I did need it when it was in/on my boot (tried it both ways).

If I have a neck knife, I can see the same problems. How will I be able to access it when I really need it? That to me is the biggest problem with any type of knife I carry. I already have knives that I carry that I can get to easily, so what advantage do I have with one that a back up? I don't plan on my knife being my primary weapon in a fight, that is my gun's purpose. I don't have a gun in an ankle holster as a back up, so why do I need a back up knife?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure if it was mentioned, I know the Bear Claw was, but the CRKT Ritter is great for a neck knife. Light, sharp, comfortable feel, and the sheath and tin it comes with are a cool addition(as well as the Doug Ritter survival tips inlay). I know it's kind of "played out" because of the whole Altoids Survival Tin craze, but I've had mine for about two years(?) and find myself using it a ton(especially when I'm camping/hiking and I'm actually carrying it around my neck. The rest of the time it's in the side pocket of my EDC bag.)

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
This refreshed post reminds me to heat up the kydex sheath a little bit to tighten the tension up so the blade doesn't fall out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I usually wear a neck knife when away from home, but here lately I have a Blackhawk Punch Dagger around my neck and am very pleased with it...JM2C
Bought mine at Wally World for less than $20.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I have a Smith and Wesson bear claw knockoff that has the neck sheath. I usually carry a badge on a chain around my neck though. Ever since I lost a belt clip badge in the woods I just don't trust them anymore. I recently changed my duty carry though and it rocks. I used to carry a Walther PPK/S on my ankle and later a J frame .38. My ankles started swelling because I am becoming a lame old codger and I had to go to a short boot. Now I wear a belly band elastic holster around my ballistic vest and carry my Glock 26 my bear claw, some Emergency medical stuff and an extra magazine in it. It sounds like alot but I forget it's there. I recommend this to anyone who is getting old. :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Push dagger. If you end up grappeling on the ground shove it through his armpit or throat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts