Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm 2efgee. I live in Omaha, and as this subforum is blank I'd like to take the time to talk to others prepping in this state. I was a search and rescue backpacker/rock climber for a bit over a year, and I've lived in the woods for extended periods of time solitary. As I'm in a major city, most of my SHTF plans involve GTFO-ing asap. I stockpile enough water and food to get myself and several others to a few different bug-out locations. If you're in Nebraska, introduce yourself and let's get a conversation going!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think I would rather SHTF than live in a city as big as Omaha. Just driving up to Lincoln makes me uncomfortable. How long have you been prepping for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the materials I need to "bug out" on hand for at least three years, just as a consequence of my work really. I started stockpiling water a few months ago, when a friend started pointing to global political events that strongly cast the future of the Republic into doubt, at least enough to force me to prepare. Luckily for me that's mostly just building up water, food and ammo supplies, all my survival essentials and long term needs are already fulfilled assuming I make it safely to my bug out point(s).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm almost completely certain that all my needs would be meet at my bug-out location as well as the back-ups but getting there, at the moment, would be a pain in the butt. I started plans on becoming a prepper years ago and I think they are very sound if I can get them all in place before SHTF. Although, to be honest, I'm pretty sure it is gonna hit the fan long before I can get it all together. Watching how far America, and the world, has sunk just in the last couple years has been heartbreaking. I would also like to note that I'm a little bit jealous how quickly you have gotten things together lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rule of thumb for stockpiling has been "double the time it ought to take for me plus three", double the time in case I need to change routes or get hurt, and plus three in case I'm in a situation where I need to stay put for a while or want to bring someone along with me.
As Helmuth von Moltke the Elder said, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" and that definitely holds true to survivalism. I like having solid plans that I can act on, but just as much I think it's important for my plans to be fluid and situational.
Well when I was a S+R backpacker a lot of companies like MSR, Osprey, Katadyn, Patagonia, Black Diamond, Princeton Tec, Kelty, Big Agnes.. Really any name in backpacking and outdoor living would "sponsor" me and my coworkers, meaning we got wholesale prices directly from the manufacturer. I have an $800 rain jacket that's probably meant for Everest climbers, why? Because I only had to pay $100 for it, so why not? It's super breathable and never gets wet, I love it. I actually planned on doing coast to coast backpacking trips and other living outdoors as a lifestyle things, which just coincidentally means I have filters, purification tablets, sleeping bags and gear for all seasons, as well as a lot of medical and survival experience. It just worked out well for me. I'm sure the people stockpiling gold and silver will do even better though.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
I don't live in Nebraska but my resume includes;

I went to the College World Series in Omaha at the old Rosenblatt Stadium, not the new fangled sissified one they have now.
My son snuck into Memorial Stadium at University of Nebraska and took a photo inside with no on there.
I stayed at the Hampton Inn North Platte, NE once (I was the most tanned sumbitch there)
I shop at Cabelas

Thanks

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Welcome from Houston. Been through Nebraska and My Mom lives in northern Kansas so I have been there to visit. A lot of open country. The Kansas farm is my BO location but it will be a trip and I would have to leave early. Good luck to ya.

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
Welcome to the group from Arizona.
Land of Sun, Surf, and Sand.
Ok, I lied, no surf, but enough sand
to fill all the dang sand bags I’ll ever need!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hello and welcome from Ionia county Michigan.
I have drove through Atlanta several times. I can not imagine trying to get out of there post shtf.
I am so glad my home is several gas tank full away from their.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey and welcome punkboy!
Omaha isn't that difficult to get out of guys, really. Most major streets are at most a mile or two away from farmland, I have maps and I know how to get to the countryside rapido by memory. From there it's just a matter of getting to the safe zone, and as long as I leave right after shtf I don't think I'll be accosted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts