Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into different ways to carry water on a (BOB) and have been considering the wide mouth quart nalgene bottles with a stainless GSI cup and adding a neoprene cover with carabiner to round it out.

I've used nalgene bottles off and on for years, I still have some of my old nalgene bottles (simple cap no attached ring) laying around and thought it might be nice to give them a new lease on life. Back when (pre camel back) I would use an external pack pocked dedicated to the water bottle.

Now a days with most newer style packs (BOB) having daisy chains the idea of being able to carabiner clip extra water to the dasiy chain seems like a workable idea...kind of like having water pods for your pack....your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
In limited quantity it is a good idea, but with many of them it will make the pack unbalanced as they swing. That could cause a back injury for some of us.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It probably depends on how much water you plan on carrying, in desert conditions where resupply is scarce I could see the need to carry more. I have a 2 liter camel back and that's all besides a metal cup to fill it with, that keeps me quiet with no sloshing water in half empty containers.

My plan is to move at night and hole up in the day, I don't want anything that will make noise as I move. Water bottles sloshing and swinging around hanging from metal clips sounds like an OPsec nightmare.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will need the extra water, since it is likely to be desert travel. Sloshing water is preferable to no water...I'll have to look into whether or not they still make the inexpensive nalgene water bottle baffles...probably not...
They are a simple and it would be easy to make a couple of them...

I'm looking to breathe new life into some old equipment I have laying around. It may not be state of the art, yet if it can be inexpensively updated it may prove to still be useful.

Any ideas on how to set up a large heavy duty rubberize canvas winter ruck or a camptrails frame pack. These are two packs that I already have and are likely candidates. The winter ruck is normally used in the vehicle for extra winter clothing, and the camp trails is an older frame pack in reasonably good shape. I may have to have a loaner available...contingencies?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Light weight gear is primary in desert travel. You will need good digging gear to dig-in during the day to keep out of the heat and then travel by night when it is cool. You will need lots of water and you should plot your way from water to water. A good solar still can help get the water out of anything that is or was alive. You will need a quart of water for each meal if you want to keep from dehydrating and remain able to digest what you eat. You will also need to watch your electrolytes - perspiring drains you of more than just water and salt.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well cabelas carrries the cup but didn't have it in stock. REI lists it and I have yet to get into town to see if I can pick one up from them.

It seems I have been going through a hit or miss phase with Amazon orders lately and god only know what they'll send me if I order a cup. So Amazon has been relegated to my option of last resort for the time being...

I think I'll have all the stuff I need collected up by this weekend and will start putting another (loaner) bag together. I picked up a Tec Loc from Blade Tec and want to see how well (or if) it will work with mounting a knife on the pack strap.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the GSI cup and a 40oz. stainless Kleen kanteen along with the neoprene cover. It hasn't made it into the kit, yet will. Right now it is being field tested.

The field test is that it is being used it as my travel water bottle...haha

The cover is snug and stretchy enough to form fit and keep the bottle and cup together by friction alone while providing easy access. There is some insulating qualities to the neoprene cover yet I'd rate that as nominal. I thought that I might need to throw a length of 550 cord around the neck of the bottle and lash it into the carrier, so far thats not been necessary.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
How do you like your Kleen Kanteen ?

I just ordered some of the insulated bottles and food canisters.

The insulated Kanteens can't be cooked in so I'm ordering a few of the single wall bottles/canisters. I ordered a few bottle top options to try out as well.

The Kleen people seem like a good company to deal with and the product looks good even though it is made in China.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts