Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently happened upon a Nagant M1895 revlover in great shape and a fair amount of ammo. It's a neat pistol,and i haven't had the chance to fire it yet. Anyone have any experience with this neat weapon?
Nagant M1895 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Nope, but I look forward to your range report.

I recently had an opportunity to pick up a WWII era aviator Enfield pistol with original shoulder holster but passed. My interest in military pistols is pretty much limited to 1911, Hi Power, and Walther. I will admit to some latent Makarov and Takarov tendancies though, lol.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have one, bought it for $120, I way overpaid. It is all neat and everything but the trigger pull is almost comically long, I couldn't get into shooting it at all. I originally bought it to do a little 'midnight gardening' but it's so bad I don't even want to do that with it.

Not to rain on your parade, but I wanted to share for other peoples edification. (maybe yours is better? let us know!)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,i wanted to add a revolver fir the reliability aspect. it's fairly hard to screw one up,and no jams!! I've done some reseach and it's my understanding I can shoot S&W .32L thru this pistol with little to no issues.The 7.62x34r stuff is fairly expensive,so I think I'll save it for a "rainy" day.
I did find a nice link on how to "tune" the double action trigger..yes,it's terrible long and hard (insert joke of choice here)..but single action isn't bad and the trigger seems nice and crisp.
Surplusrifle Forum ? View topic - How to adjust the trigger pull of the 1895 Nagant revolver

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Had one. I enjoyed it but ammo was hard to find unless you wanted to shoot .32 Special. Which gets kind of spendy. The ammo seems a little more available for it, at least it was. Check AIMSURPLUS.com or just google C&R Distributors. Most have surplus ammo for it.

Anyway, forget double action on it. I swear the trigger pull is 30 pounds. Single action though, was nice and crisp. If you can get a supply of Nagant ammo, I think you'll find it's a fun shooter. A little weird in its engineering, but kind of cool at the same time. Has character. And they're tough as nails. Would make a great pack/tackle box/under the seat kind of gun.

Reactions: Renec

·
Registered
86 Posts
I dont have one, but I have been looking for one for ages! You wouldnt believe it would be this hard to find one in a country that borders to Russia, but it is. Its the one revolver i want in my gun collection. im not a too big fan of pistols in general but I have a weakness for the Nagant. I shot one a year ago at a gunshow and I gott to agree on the trigger having a realy long pull, but I kinda like that, more time to gett a tiny little better aim, and more time to reconsider if you have to shoot or not. It was a vastly mass produced revolver, so parts should be easy to find.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, I have owned one for years. A very interesting surplus pistol, a nice historical piece. However, I don't find it to have much practical value at all.

Everyone has mentioned the horrid DA trigger pull, but no one has mentioned the reason for this. So, for those who aren't aware, I'll quickly explain. The Nagant revolver was designed to reduce the (theoretical) loss of velocity caused by the typical barrel/cylinder gap present on all other revolvers. The designers solution was to have the cylinder cam forward so that the cylinder butts against the barrel, mostly eliminating the gap. Then they designed a cartridge which further sealed the gap by having the bullet fully seated within the brass casing, such that from the side of the cartridge it appears to have no bullet whatsoever...one must peer straight down into the mouth of the cartridge to see the WC type bullet seated below the mouth of the case. This allowed the brass casing to mate up with the barrel, further sealing the B/C gap.

This forward camming motion of the cylinder, which is driven by the DA trigger (or by the thumb cocking of the hammer), is responsible for the terribly long and heavy DA trigger pull on the Nagant.

To go back to the lack of practical value of this revolver, even though it is generally inexpensive, and fairly well built, it fires a woefully underpowered cartridge (in spite of the lengths to which they went to eliminate the perceived "power-draining" B/C gap), which is difficult to find, and very expensive. Even the alternative S&W .32 Long ammo is not inexpensive, nor easy to find, nor particularly powerful. A convertible cylinder was offered for these, which IIRC was chambered in .32 ACP...but even then, once you factor in the cost of the conversion, I see little or no practical advantage to this firearm. Its only redeeming qualities (IMHO) would be that it holds 7 rounds (which may surprise and confound some ill-informed miscreants...though I wouldn't care to wager my life on it) and the fact that it is the only revolver that could be easily suppressed (due to the lack of a B/C gap), were you so inclined.

Still...an interesting surplus revolver.

Tim

·
Registered
559 Posts
ARGH! Mine is DAO. I thought they all were but looking at the link posted above and a few others I think mine might be broken. I'll have to dig it out and see if I can't get it to work as a SA, which is what I would prefer it to do in the first place.

Will report back in a few days, hopefully with good news.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I dont have one, but I have been looking for one for ages! You wouldnt believe it would be this hard to find one in a country that borders to Russia, but it is. Its the one revolver i want in my gun collection. im not a too big fan of pistols in general but I have a weakness for the Nagant. I shot one a year ago at a gunshow and I gott to agree on the trigger having a realy long pull, but I kinda like that, more time to gett a tiny little better aim, and more time to reconsider if you have to shoot or not. It was a vastly mass produced revolver, so parts should be easy to find.
That's because they're all over here buddy!!!! ::clapping:: Just like the SKS's, AK-47's, Mosin 91/30's & M44's. We love Russian weapons for some reason. I know I do.

Reactions: Renec

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If you have a half dozen or so of em, . . . a piece of chain, . . . a padlock, . . . and you go fishin' in a pram, . . . they make a fairly good anchor, . . .

Other than that, . . . the guy that invented it either got a medal from the devil, . . . or a special seat in the old hot spot down under, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
95 Posts
ARGH! Mine is DAO. I thought they all were but looking at the link posted above and a few others I think mine might be broken. I'll have to dig it out and see if I can't get it to work as a SA, which is what I would prefer it to do in the first place.

Will report back in a few days, hopefully with good news.
While it's certainly possible that your revolver may be broken, be aware that, if I'm remembering correctly, there were DAO versions built. These were, again IIRC, meant to be issued to NCOs, while the DA/SA were meant for officers. This has also been the case with various British (and likely other nations) revolvers as well...where the "Powers That Be" felt that while DA/SA revolvers were fine for officers, there seemed to be a general consensus that lowly enlisted troops were not trustworthy enough to be allowed to handle a revolver that was capable of being thumb-cocked, thereby having a lighter SA trigger pull.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.