Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so I'm not sure this is the right place to post this question. I bought some mylar bags off eBay but have noticed, after packing them, that they have tiny holes in the bottom of the bags. When I was packing them I was by my kitchen window which allows a lot of light to come through in the morning. I've attached a photo I took that shows, somewhat, the light coming through. Thank God I haven't heat sealed them! I've also attached a photo of the bags packed and unpacked. I've been looking at buying more bags but a lot of what I see look just like the ones I bought on eBay so I'm very leery to buy any. Any advice or help with this would be appreciated.
Thank you... Food Textile Drinkware Sleeve Ingredient
Art Tints and shades Triangle Wood Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,604 Posts
Have you confirmed that they are actual holes, or are they just spots you can see light through? Sometimes the aluminum film inside the layers cracks and lets light through, but the outer and inner clear layers are still intact.
They look to be at the bottom of the bag near a seam. If that's the case, just reseal that end and remove the holes. The beauty of Mylar is that you can custom size it. They'll be slightly smaller, but still functional.
Once sealed, it should be easy to determine if they're air-tight or not. If they are, you're good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you confirmed that they are actual holes, or are they just spots you can see light through? Sometimes the aluminum film inside the layers cracks and lets light through, but the outer and inner clear layers are still intact.
They look to be at the bottom of the bag near a seam. If that's the case, just reseal that end and remove the holes. The beauty of Mylar is that you can custom size it. They'll be slightly smaller, but still functional.
Once sealed, it should be easy to determine if they're air-tight or not. If they are, you're good to go.
Wow! Thank you so much. I didn't even think about that. You've saved me a lot of time and money. I'll put some oxygen absorbers in and seal a couple and see what happens. I'll cut and repeat if they don't seal good enough:)
One more thing, how many oxygen absorbers would you suggest I use on a quart bag? The OAs I have are 100 cc.
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Wow! Thank you so much. I didn't even think about that. You've saved me a lot of time and money. I'll put some oxygen absorbers in and seal a couple and see what happens. I'll cut and repeat if they don't seal good enough:)
One more thing, how many oxygen absorbers would you suggest I use on a quart bag? The OAs I have are 100 cc.
Thanks again
That you should experiment with. It will also depend on how much air you can get out of the package on your own. I have found with some things, 1 packet is fine, others require 2. These are not that expensive, but are hard to find now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That you should experiment with. It will also depend on how much air you can get out of the package on your own. I have found with some things, 1 packet is fine, others require 2. These are not that expensive, but are hard to find now.
Ok, I'm going to be working on that today. Thanks so much for your advice.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Ok, I'm going to be working on that today. Thanks so much for your advice.

I would not waste any oxygen absorbers testing. You will not be able to tell if it is working. There are many gasses in the air we breathe not just oxygen. The absorbers only take out the oxygen, you usually do not see any results.

Take a bag and put a cup or two of water in it and see if it leaks over time(24 hours). And/or do as Kauboy says and take an iron to the bag and seal the suspected area.

Have you contacted the seller to see what they say it is? I have never dealt with ziplock bags before, only regular bags. I have never had this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not waste any oxygen absorbers testing. You will not be able to tell if it is working. There are many gasses in the air we breathe not just oxygen. The absorbers only take out the oxygen, you usually do not see any results.

Take a bag and put a cup or two of water in it and see if it leaks over time(24 hours). And/or do as Kauboy says and take an iron to the bag and seal the suspected area.

Have you contacted the seller to see what they say it is? I have never dealt with ziplock bags before, only regular bags. I have never had this problem.
I will try the water idea. I have so many bags to empty and start over again that I'm procrastinating. It's raining today so it's a good time to get at it. I did contact the guy I bought my bags from and asked him about the holes but he didn't get back to me. You mentioned that you haven't used the ziplock bags but only the "regular bags". What do you mean by regular bags? Can you tell me where I can get some information about the different types and qualities of Mylar bags? I've researched vacuum sealing but, from what I've read, I haven't been able to decide which is better or if I should be using both. I'm so busy I don't sit down at my computer much but I will spend the afternoon, since it's raining, searching the forums here to see what I can find. Anyway, thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts