Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts
Thank you! I was wondering if it was some sort of chemical reaction or if I did something stupid/wrong.

Yes to this. The bags are the resealable kind with the bottom that folds out so they stand up (7+ mils). I would fill 6-10 of them, drop in however many absorbers, squeeze out air, seal with the zipper thing, then seal with the iron, for just the reason you say -- not to open the jar as often. When I found it getting wet inside the jar, I put them in a mylar bag and sealed that. That was towards the end of the job today.

Thanks!

Once you open a bag of oxygen absorbers you should try to use them within the next few months even after re-sealing the bag.

A while back I had used about half of one of my bags of O2 absorbers. I had actually opened and re-sealed the bag twice.

I let them sit for about 2 months before using the rest. Unfortunately they no longer worked and everything I had packed in Mylar with them had to be opened up and re-sealed with new O2 absorbers.

Reactions: ItsJustMe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Once you open a bag of oxygen absorbers you should try to use them within the next few months even after re-sealing the bag.

A while back I had used about half of one of my bags of O2 absorbers. I had actually opened and re-sealed the bag twice.

I let them sit for about 2 months before using the rest. Unfortunately they no longer worked and everything I had packed in Mylar with them had to be opened up and re-sealed with new O2 absorbers.
This is good to know. Thanks.

Yesterday, I repackaged all pasta, rice, dried beans. Today will be flour, corn meal, pancake mix, oats, etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
This is good to know. Thanks.

Yesterday, I repackaged all pasta, rice, dried beans. Today will be flour, corn meal, pancake mix, oats, etc.
Flour I vacuum seal. I've got some in mylar but the majority are done with my foodsaver. I am baking bread now so I rotate through them. I found a video that showed how to do it without the flour mess and it works great for me.

Pancake mix I would be careful with. Anything with oil in it can go rancid after some time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Flour I vacuum seal. I've got some in mylar but the majority are done with my foodsaver. I am baking bread now so I rotate through them. I found a video that showed how to do it without the flour mess and it works great for me.

Pancake mix I would be careful with. Anything with oil in it can go rancid after some time.
Thanks. I will read the label and see what is in it. Did several searches online about what foods can be packed in mylar or vacuum sealed. Sheesh. What a confusing mess. One said "nothing animal based".

I don't currently have a vacuum sealer. Had a foodsaver some years ago and it was a disappointment. Broke after just a few uses so that left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. But it is on the "consider this" list.

Kudos to those of you who bake! I have become just too lazy in my old age. My plan is tortillas as a bread source, quick and easy and don't take up much space.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
Thanks. I will read the label and see what is in it. Did several searches online about what foods can be packed in mylar or vacuum sealed. Sheesh. What a confusing mess. One said "nothing animal based".

I don't currently have a vacuum sealer. Had a foodsaver some years ago and it was a disappointment. Broke after just a few uses so that left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. But it is on the "consider this" list.

Kudos to those of you who bake! I have become just too lazy in my old age. My plan is tortillas as a bread source, quick and easy and don't take up much space.
We got our FoodSaver on sale at Costco a number of years ago and haven't regretted it. It gets a fair amount of use.

We both love fresh bread. A goal for me when I retired was to learn to bake bread. It took a few batches before I got it down but now I got it and my wife loves it. She didn't bake bread because her daddy did and she figured that was the man's job. Actually it's been fun for me and now I do it fairly regularly.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
Forgive me, if I'm about to repeat myself but I think it bares repeating. I'm a huge fan of putting mylar bags into chew proof galvanized metal cans.

During the plague in the middle ages the Jews contracted the Black Death to a far less extent. You know why? Chamez. During Passover, every bit of barley, oats, flour and the like had to be gotten rid of and the house meticulously scrubbed clean. No accessible food, no rats. No rats, no plague.

If rodents want it badly enough, they'll chew right through plastic containers.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
Forgive me, if I'm about to repeat myself but I think it bares repeating. I'm a huge fan of putting mylar bags into chew proof galvanized metal cans.

During the plague in the middle ages the Jews contracted the Black Death to a far less extent. You know why? Chamez. During Passover, every bit of barley, oats, flour and the like had to be gotten rid of and the house meticulously scrubbed clean. No accessible food, no rats. No rats, no plague.

If rodents want it badly enough, they'll chew right through plastic containers.
I've heard stories of rats chewing through concrete. Years ago when NYC had a huge rat problem the stories about them were everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
I've heard stories of rats chewing through concrete. Years ago when NYC had a huge rat problem the stories about them were everywhere.
Ugh, yeah disgusting. I've seen them in the subways.

All it would take is a week or two of no garbage pick-ups and I can imagine we'd have trouble.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have never seen mice chew through plastic totes? But maybe so? That reminds me, I know where I can get my hands on my (late) Dad's foot lockers. Hmmm...they are pretty heavy, though. Will have to wait till snow melts to get at them.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Lots of good advice in the previous posts. I get used buckets I get from bakeries because they are food grade and cheap. They stack nicely. I don't plan on bugging out but if the water is lapping at the back steps, I will. An easy to carry method like storage tubs or buckets makes it easier to grab and run. The idea of putting unused oxygen absorbers in a mason jar works, vacuum sealing them helps eliminate extra O2. Unfortunately, I too have noticed oxygen absorbers going bad after 5-6 months in a vacuum saved jar.
Down here in southern AZ, I don't have to worry to much about rats and mice. Too many snakes. One thing I changes after my first year of repackaging foods, was to change from 5 gallon Mylar bags to 1 gallon bags and I switched to zip lock Mylar. While the ziplock bags wond keep oxygen out, they help keep bugs out of the bag after opening, prevent spillage, and make the bags easier to handle.

Reactions: Annie
21 - 33 of 33 Posts