Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, for those of you who don't know I moved last August. I paid for the new place and had enough to put up a shop and garage. County regs being what they are I had to build two buildings to get what I needed. I drew the plans up, got them approved and set about finding someone to put in the foundations. (I can do a lot of things but at 60+ and still recovering from my second back surgery I figured I would pay to have them put in right)
It was the middle of October before they got the foundations in - nothing happens fast in a small town but once they started it only took a couple of weeks and they did a superb job. I had to wait until the first part of March for the weather to warm enough to start actual construction. I had a bill of materials completed for the first building and got bids from the three places near me and selected the local business to get my supplies. They delivered the materials and My brother and I started building the shop. We got the walls up, plumb and square and sheathed them about a week ahead of schedule so we had to wait a week to get the trusses. My brother-in-law called and told me he was coming over to help and was bringing some scaffolding and ladders so I knew we were set.
To make this story shorter - the three of us got the trusses up, squared and plumbed them and got the sheathing put on without a hitch - my back has been feeling great - no problems. Then last week my brother and I were putting up the facia and gable trim when the ladder I was on started to wobble. I jerked hard one way to keep the ladder under me and strained my back. Last Monday I went to the doctor because of the pain and muscle spasms in my lower back and have been put on "light duty" and no ladders for the next month. I got a call from a woman That lived with me for 10 years (I helped raise her kids and they consider me their dad) and she told me that she and her son were comingover to help. My brother-in-law is also coming over with his scaffolding again. My brother and I (I get to be the gofor) are getting the roofing put on the shop and I ordered the supplies and trusses for the garage today. With any luck we will have the walls up on the garage by Thursday and the trusses will be delivered on Friday. By the end of Saturday it will be sheathed and roofed. The only thing after that will be finishing the siding on the exterior. Once the exterior is done I can start wiring both, get them inspected and then finish the interiors. It looks like I am going to get it done before this October - when the permit expires.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yep, working off ladders can create some real health issues - nice save to keep from falling, and that is the important part. Construction work means soreness and aches and pain, every day....

My best neighbor is an older (mid 60s) guy who grew up farming, and the guy is always working on something. He has a really nice log cabin he built himself, and he stains periodically to protect the wood. He paints it on, and one day he overreached and fell two stories to the ground. He tried to ride the ladder down (big mistake) as it fell. It body slammed him, and he hit his head. It knocked him unconscious, out cold. My wife was going to the store and saw the whole thing as she was getting to her car. She ran over and thought the man was dead. She came and got me (I had just jumped into the shower) so I slung on some clothes and she went to help again. When I got there he was getting to his feet, as wobbly as a newborn calf. He is a bit stubborn (OK, that is an understatement - he is a real hardhead) but he had a huge bruise on his head, and blurred vision. I got him inside and told him to get a shower and run cold water on his head (he was covered in sweat, dirt, mulch and oil-based stain). He recovered okay, but he told me that day that his vision went all wacky - "like looking through venetian blinds" - but the shower helped restore his sight to normal. He is a real good guy overall (Okie), but I thought we had lost him that day. End of story - he hasn't been up on a ladder since....

If you are comfortable with interior pictures (don't want to violate your privacy rights) it would be cool to see your garage and workshop once it is all completed. Man caves rock!!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Good luck with it projects take time.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, I should have some pictures of it in progress - Lots of pictures of the foundation going in - I thought maybe I could learn something and I did. Have a professional do it! :)

I was outthere today carrying 3-tab up the ladder - a few sheets at a time not the whole bundle and felt good afterward so I think things are getting better. I'll see about putting up more pictures but here are a few: 003GaragesExcavationNE.JPG 004GaragesFooting001.JPG 004GaragesFormplatesAndRebarOverview.JPG 005GaragesWallPouredEast.JPG 007GaragesWallsWithoutFormsWestToo.JPG

The phone line was pulled apart 3 times but we never once broke the gas line.
It looks a bit different now.

Not all the pictures loaded - is there a maximum limit per post or a file size limit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts