Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I am getting ready to go to the range this spring since the weather has broken and its getting into the 60's. I got a new AK on election day last year and haven't worked it out much so that will be a priority.

As I was getting my shooting box together I found my old notebook that I have kept since 2006. My system is to shoot the gun in 3 or 5 shot groups and then cut out the target and tape it in the book for future reference.

Since I reload, I have the ability to custom load to each weapon for the best performance, this book helps me remember what I am doing and the performance I got out of each load. Yes the bullets are not in the "bulls eye" because my current ammo type is zeroed for that gun but I get an idea of the accuracy of the load in the gun, If I want to shoot it, this book tells me the adjustments I need to make to the scope to hit dead center.

Here are a few pictures out of the book, I usually put the caliber, bullet type, powder used and the grains of that powder and the date. If I am using a unusual primer I put that in too. If I chronographed the loads I put the velocity as well.

This is a 5x7 spiral wound notebook, These are usually at the local range off of cement tables unless noted. I hunt with Steady-Stix which is a fiberglass deployable bipod which I am a great fan of, one of the pictures is off of "sticks" at 50 yards.

Photograph Rectangle Ring binder Triangle Sketch pad
Handwriting Rectangle Font Triangle Line
Handwriting Triangle Font Rectangle Material property

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yes I got as little note book too that I jot down pertnant information in when I am at the range...with one of my bolt actions. Its pretty temporary though as when I get home in a day or two I transfer all the info over to a computer program that I keep on each gun. I account for each round down range, weather conditions, load data, scope settings, groups and all of that as well as where the first round is likely to go on a cold barrel shot (after all thats the shot thats really going to count 9 out of 10 times). Yes its a pain in the rear but man is that a lot of good information to know!!! Sometimes one shot is all you get...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Additionally, notes such as temp, wind speed/direction, and humidity can be of use as well. Or so I was once told...
At 100 yards all those factors are mute except for wind, when you get into long distance shooting they make more of a difference. I usually shoot in the fall as those conditions closely match hunting conditions plus I like to confirm my zero before opening day.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have a book for each gun. It contains detailed reloading information, the target I shot, the results from my chronograph testing, and the ballistics output from my software. I then correct the ballistics data with actual tests (not much to correct usually) and put that with the record. I have records for every powder, bullet, and combination that I have ever tried. Then I have two books with my favorite loads for all the guns. Favorite loads are those that consistantly shoot the smallest groups under varied conditions.
That way when someone says, "you ought to try this powder or that bullet" I can look and see how it performed in my tests or try it if I haven't before and keep the results.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I shoot factory ammo, don't reload, and don't keep data logs. If I reloaded, I think I would get into all that, but for me, shooting is a sport, and I like to just go shoot.

I shoot mostly at 100 yards, get to a zero I am comfortable with with the ammo I plan to use for the given gun, little high, little low, little right, bingo, 3-shot group cloverleaf, and then go get a cold drink. Once I am hitting the bullseye, I am happy, and I move on to the next gun and ammo....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts